Connect with us

National news

Terrorism: 22-year-old Boko Haram commander bags 60 years jail term

Published

on

Terrorism: 22-year-old Boko Haram commander bags 60 years jail term

 Army: Shekau disguises as woman, now wears hijab

The Special Court created by the Federal High Court to sit over terrorism cases in Wawa Cantonment, Kainji, Niger State, yesterday sentenced a 22-year-old commander of the Boko Haram sect, Abba Umar, to 60 years imprisonment for various acts of terrorism.

The court had begun sitting on Monday. At the resumed trial of other accused persons yesterday, Umar told the court that he would return to Sambisa Forest to continue the terrorism acts if he was ever released. Umar, whose look was hard and remorseless throughout the proceedings, had been in detention since 2014 after his failed suicide mission to a school in Gombe State.

The Federal Government had preferred fivecount charge on the accused, out of which two attracted death penalty. In its judgement, the court held that it would impose lesser sentences on the convict, taking into consideration his age and the fact that he must have been exposed to “excessive and consistent religious indoctrination” which made him to be easily pliable. The court further held that for count three, the convict would be sentenced to 60 years imprisonment. According to the judge, “I would have been more merciful, but was rather dissuaded by the convict’s insistence that he would go back to the activities which constitute danger to the society and for which he was apprehended.”

Earlier at the trial, Umar told the court that 17 pictures tendered by the prosecution as exhibits showing him, the car and the Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) used for the failed operation, were true and authentic.

The convict had also told the court that he married two wives in Sambisa Forest after joining the sect. He, however, described himself as “an Islamic warrior, and a commander in the Islamic army”. The convict, who spoke in Hausa and his testimony interpreted in English during the proceedings, confirmed that as a commander in the Boko Haram sect, he had over 100 lieutenants under him.

New Telegraph recalls that the court had earlier, on Monday, sentenced one of the abductors of the Chibok girls, Haruna Yahaya, to 15 years imprisonment. The convict, whose left arm and leg are crippled, was also found guilty of being a member of the Boko Haram terrorist group and participated in the abduction of over 200 schoolgirls in Chibok, Borno State, in 2014. The prosecution had proved that Yahaya participated in the group’s attacks in Chibok, Chibok Local Government Area of Borno State and Gabsuri town in the Damboa Local Government of the state. Yahaya had pleaded guilty to the two-count charge preferred against him by the Federal Government.

Advertisements
Continue Reading
Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: Terrorism: 22-year-old Boko Haram commander bags 60 years jail term - Naijaray Headline

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories

Facebook

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. Call For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call: Mobile Phone:+234 803 304 2915 Online Editor: Michael Abimboye Mobile Phone: 0813 699 6757 Email: mmakesense@gmail.com Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: