153,000 students sit for mock UTME in 633 centres

No fewer than 153,000 students on Saturday, sat for the mock Unified Tertiary Matriculations Examination (UTME) in about 633 Computer Based Centres (CBT) across the country.

During a tour of some of the centres in strategic locations in Abuja, including the centre at JAMB headquarters, Kogo CBT centre, Digital Bridge Institute centre, candidates were seen patiently taking turns to write the voluntary examination conducted by the Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board, (JAMB).

Addressing newsmen at one of the centres, Registrar of JAMB, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, stressed that all was in place to carry out the 2017 UTME examinations scheduled to hold in two weeks’ time in every part of the country and without hitches.

According to him, the objective of the mock UTME, which was to test the new technology deployed by JAMB in the conduct of the examination and the preparedness of the students, had proved to be successful beyond the expectations of the board.

“From the information received from the field, the centres are performing and the candidates seem to be ready for the main exams. Since morning the little problems that we experienced has been taken care of.

“We are more than ready for the main examination. We have a control room from all over the country, and as at when I left office this morning, you can see from our control room that even after the first session of the examination they have had the upload including the responses of the candidates. We have received 80% responses and we believe that the remaining 20% will by now have responded. We believe that we have been able to try this and we will continue to do our best.

“So far we have registered over 1.5 million in less than five weeks; we are yet to complete the fifth week yet. We believe that the facilities that we have put in place is good enough but we have also noticed that there are people who are hell bent on thwarting the efforts of the board but we will not allow such people to succeed,” he said.

One of the external directors in charge of test administration, Mr. Bashir Galadinchi, noted that the challenges experienced during the mock UTME, will aid the board and its external resource persons address all the issues that could hamper the record of a hundred percent success in the conduct of the main UTME scheduled for the next two weeks.

Expressing optimism with the new technology, one of the candidates, Miss Ephratha Benjamin, noted that it took her just an hour to register and write the examination which according to her, she wrote without experiencing any hitches.

Related posts

Leave a Reply