Connect with us

     

Metro and Crime

Woman,60, slumps, dies in Sokoto

Published

on

Woman,60, slumps, dies in Sokoto
Advertisements
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro and Crime

Police arrest Jonathan’s in-laws over theft of jewellery, valuables worth N.3bn

Published

on

By

Police arrest Jonathan’s in-laws over theft of jewellery, valuables worth N.3bn

Pauline Onyibe

Yenagoa

Operation Puff Adder of the Bayelsa State Police Command at the weekend arrested four in-laws of the former President, Dr. Goodluck Jonathan over alleged involvement in the illegal entry into his home in Otuoke community in Ogbia Local Government Area and carting away jewellery, custom made walking stick and other valuables worth over N.3billion.

But another source claimed that the some substantial sum of money was also carted away by the suspects.

The four persons, include two brothers to the former First Lady, Dame Patience Jonathan, and two ladies suspected to be members of Jonathan’s family.

Mrs Jonathan’s two brothers were identified as Mowsor Princewill Oba and Boma Rasheed Oba.The other two female suspect are yet to be identified.

It was learnt that the one of the arrested suspects, who is a management staff of the Aridolf Resort, Hotel and Spa owned by the former First Lady, had duplicated the keys to the rooms where the valuables were kept and led the forceful entry and gradual looting of the valuables.

It was gathered that after some domestic staff discovered the theft, the former President was informed and he quickly called in men of the Bayelsa Police Command to effect their arrest and recover the looted valuables.

A source close to the former First Family, said that Mrs Jonathan was shocked and disgusted by the theft and wondered why the arrested management staff of her hotel did not steal her money instead of masterminding the looting of her husband’s valuables.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

MAUSTECH: Egba monarchs, others threaten showdown with Abiodun

Published

on

MAUSTECH: Egba monarchs, others threaten showdown with Abiodun

*Accuse gov of hidden agenda over varsity relocation

Egba traditional rulers, leaders of thought, clubs and indigenes in Ogun Central Senatorial District on Saturday kicked against the planned relocation of the Moshood Abiola University of Science and Technology (MAUSTECH), Abeokuta by Governor Dapo Abiodun.

They said the governor’s request to the Ogun State House of Assembly to amend the law establishing MAUSTECH was filled with “hidden agenda” and amounted to playing on the sensibilities of the Egba and creating bad blood in the state.

This was contained in their position paper submitted to the Prof Segun Awonusi-led panel constituted by the state government to review the status, operations, funding and viability of MAUSTECH and the Ogun State Polytechnic, Ipokia.

The immediate past governor, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, had established MAUSTECH and the Ipokia polytechnic following the “upgrading” of Moshood Abiola Polytechnic (MAPOLY), Abeokuta in 2017 but the two new institutions had since failed to take off.

Amid the controversy, stakeholders in the Ogun West Senatorial District, last week, urged the governor to relocate MAUSTECH to Ipokia Local Government Area so as to give the Yewa-Awori extraction more sense of belonging and address the gap in university education for the people of the area and the state at large.

But giving the stance of the Egba nation, the President of Abeokuta Club, Engr. Tokunbo Odebunmi, said the “only state-owned full-fledged university in Egbaland” should not be considered for relocation elsewhere under whatever circumstances.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Fake drugs: Mob at Onitsha Market attack NAFDAC officials

Published

on

By

Fake drugs: Mob at Onitsha Market attack NAFDAC officials

Appolonia Adeyemi

 

A contingent of officials from the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) and police officers have been attacked and pelted with stones, bottles, packaged water and plumbing items at the plumbing material market located at Head Bridge Market, Onitsha, Anambra State.

According to a statement from NAFDAC yesterday, the attack follow the NAFDAC team’s evacuation of some counterfeit medicines including anti-malarial, antibiotics, sildenafil citratea and tetanus toxoid from the Plumbing Material Market section.

The substandard medicines had been stored in a warehouse with temperature of over 40C, which would have damaged the drugs and subject the persons that would consume them later to danger that may result in death.

To this end, the Director General of NAFDAC, Prof Mojisola Adeyeye has urged the public to report any suspicion of fake medicines to 08001NAFDAC (0 eight hundred1NAFDAC) or to the nearest NAFDAC office.

According to Adeyeye, drugs stored at this high temperature will compromise the health of the population and result in fatalities.

She said: “Counterfeiting of drugs subjects the population to treatment failure and early death.

“Members of the families of the counterfeiters are included in the population, that is, no one is exempted from the consequences of substandard, falsified and counterfeited medicines.”

The evacuation came sequel to credible intelligence obtained from concerned members of the public regarding the connivance of drug counterfeiters from the Head Bridge Drug Market, Onitsha and the Executive members of the Plumbing Material Market Association, Onitsha in the diversion, concealment and storage of substandard and falsified medical products at the plumbing material market.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Four killed, others trapped as building collapses in Delta

Published

on

By

Four killed, others trapped as building collapses in Delta

A three-storey building under construction in Abraka, Ethiope East Local Government Area of Delta State has reportedly collapsed, killing at least four workers at the site.

It was learnt that scores of persons might also still be trapped inside the collapsed building.

Although the causes of the collapse could not be ascertained, it was learnt that the building caved in during a downpour in the university town on Saturday morning.

Abraka is where the state university is located.

Sources told our correspondent that the victims were in the building waiting for the rain to subside to begin work when a section of the building caved in.

A few persons who were working on the building escaped but four persons were confirmed dead by eyewitness.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Stay clear of Bayelsa or contend with me, CP tells criminals

Published

on

By

Stay clear of Bayelsa or contend with me, CP tells criminals

Pauline Onyibe, Yenagoa

The Bayelsa State commissioner of Police (CP) Uche John Anozia has warned miscreants, cultist, thugs and other criminals to turn a new leaf or flee from the state as he said the command under his watch was determined to rid the state of lawless elements.

Parading 29 suspects at the weekend at the police headquarters including one Peter Joshua,  the suspected killer of two National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) members in March this year, the Commissioner maintained that the arrests were made possible through the effort of the recently launched ‘Operation  Puff Adder’.

Displaying the firearms recovered from the suspects, which included two AK-47 rifles, 40 locally made pistols, 26 locally made revolvers, seven Dane guns, three fabricated AK-47,rifles, two berretta pistols and one general purpose gun, among other weapons, CP Nnadozia said: “On June 20, operatives of Operation Puff Adder acted on a tip-off  and arrested one Ebimobowei Adisemo and Ikpi Malafakumo along the East –West road who were coming to Yenagoa for an armed robbery operation with one Black Toyota Highlander SUV and one ash colour Toyota Corolla car.

“Upon a thorough search the police recovered two AK-47 rifles, three face masks, six extra plate numbers, and four AK-47 magazines loaded with 120 7.62mm ammunition with 50 others as spare ammunition.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Alleged extortion: Over 200 tipper drivers block Enugu-Awka-Onitsha Road for 3 hours

Published

on

Alleged extortion: Over 200 tipper drivers block Enugu-Awka-Onitsha Road for 3 hours

No fewer than two hundred tippers were used to block the Enugu- Awka – Onitsha Expressway yesterday for about three hours when members of the Tipper Drivers Association protested what they called over taxation, intimation and smashing of their vehicles by alleged government revenue agents.

 

The protesters who chanted protest songs also blocked the main entrance gate to the government House demanding to see the Governor, Dr Willie Obiano who incidentally was away on an official trip abroad. All efforts to get the protesters to leave the expressway proved abortive for hours until the arrival of the Secretary of State Government Prof Solo Chukwulobelu who urged them to clear from the Federal Government highway.

 

The leader of the association for Enugu and Anambra states Mr Emmanuel Ezeokafor, who spoke with reporterssaid: ” We are peace-loving people and our protest as you can see is not a violent one. We are here to register our unhappiness over the imposition of several levies and all manner of extortion by some people who claim to be government revenues agents.

 

“We won this case of illegal taxation at the Festival High Court and government called us for a meeting and we agreed to dialogue with government but we’re still discussing with government when some people who claim to be government revenue’s agents came to collect taxes and levies from our members.

 

“If you refuse to pay, they will beat you up and shatter the windscreen of your tipper. So far about 17 of our members have sustained various injuries while two were locked up at a police station. Ezeokafor further alleged that “before we were paying N100. 00 later it went up to N200.00 and now we pay between N700.00 N1,500.00, and one Ogechukwu who claims to be a government’s agent has been using his position to intimidate out members who refuse to pay.

 

“Our demand is that we do not want any so-called government agents who have been extorting money from us. We want to discuss with government on how much we should be paying and we will collect the money ourselves and pay directly to the accounts of the government.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Man commits suicide over wives’ adulterous affairs

Published

on

Man commits suicide over wives’ adulterous affairs

A 40-year-old Zimbabwean Jotham Chakawa has committed suicide as a result of his two wives allegedly cheating on him. Reports say that Chakawa killed himself after suspecting his two wives, who happen to be sisters, were engaged in two separate adulterous affairs.

 

Chakawa is reported to have previously made two attempts to kill himself after suspecting that his two wives, Letwin Gwena (27) and Sekai Gwena (19), were covering for each other in their affairs. Chakawa committed suicide by hanging himself from a tree in his own homestead just before supper. Masvingo Police Spokesperson, Chief Inspector Charity Mazula confirmed the incident.

 

No postmortem was conducted on the body because the police were said not to have fuel to transport the body.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

I raped my daughter to confirm her virginity –Man

Published

on

I raped my daughter to confirm her virginity –Man

A 37-year-old guard, Wasiu Orilonise, has publicly confessed that he raped his 15-year-old daughter in order to authentic her virginity and protection. Orilonise who appeared in Oyo State Magistrates’ Court sitting in Ibadan, however, appealed to the court to forgive him as he did that only to confirm if his daughter was still a virgin.

 

The prosecutor, Sunday Ogunremi, told the court that the accused had sometime in December 2018 at Omo village, Agbofieti, Ibadan, in the Ibadan Magisterial District, raped the daughter without her consent. Ogunremi said the offence was contrary to and punishable under Section 34, sub-sections 1 and 2 of the Child Rights Law of Oyo State of Nigeria, 2006.

 

The plea of the accused was, however, not taken during the arraignment.

 

When the Chief Magistrate, Mr. Taiwo Olaniran, sought to know what pushed him into defiling his biological daughter, the accused said since he lost his wife a few years ago, he had been taking care of his daughter and her siblings. He told the court that he committed the act in order to protect his daughter.

 

Orilonise said the incident happened when he was trying to ascertain if the victim had lost her virginity, adding that upon discovering that she was still a virgin, he started having sex with her regularly before she would leave for school and at night.

 

The magistrate berated fathers who were fond of sexually abusing their daughters and other under- aged girls, saying they were allowing the devil to use them to destroy the society. He ordered that the accused be remanded in the Agodi Prison pending legal advice from the Director of Public Prosecutions and adjourned the case till July 30, 2019.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Tailor arraigned over N1.48m fraud

Published

on

Tailor arraigned over N1.48m fraud

A 47-year-old tailor, Popoola Abolade, was yesterday charged before a Yaba Magistrates’ Court in Lagos, for allegedly defrauding a company of N1.48 million.

 

 

According to a report by the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), Abolade, who resides in Ikeja area of Lagos, is facing two-counts of stealing and obtaining by false pretences, to which he pleaded not guilty.

The prosecutor, Sgt. Godwin Oriabure, told the court that the defendant committed the offences at 1pm on Jauary 19, at 33, Olorunlogbon St., Anthony Village, Lagos. Oriabure said that the defendant was contracted by Slloyd Nigeria Ltd., to sew 222 uniforms worth over N1.6million for its workers.

 

He, however, said that the defendant delivered only 48 of the uniforms to the company and promised to deliver the remaining 174 uniforms, which he failed to do. Oriabure told the court that instead of meeting his contractual obligations, the defendant locked up his shop and absconded with the balance of N1.48million. “My Lord, it was the company’s Human Resources consultant, Olumide Oladipo, that made the report at the station.

 

“Upon investigation, the defendant was arrested and he signed an undertaking to supply the remaining uniforms to the company or return the money within three weeks.

 

“My Lord that was in May, up till date he has refused to do either,” the prosecutor said. Oriabure said the offences contravened Section 287 and 314 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015 (Revised). NAN reports that Section 287 stipulates a three-year jail term for stealing, while Section 314 carries 15 years for obtaining by false pretences.

 

The Magistrate, Mrs. S.O. Obasa, admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N200, 000 with two sureties in like sum. Obasa ordered that the sureties must be above 40 years and reside within the court’s jurisdiction. He added that the sureties should show evidence of three years’ tax payment to the Lagos State Government. The case was adjourned till July 30, for mention

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Owner of collapsed hotel building in Ebonyi arrested

Published

on

The Ebonyi State Police Command has arrested the owner of Metro View Hotel which collapsed in Abakaliki on Wednesday night, Christian Akanihu, this is according to a news report by Premium Times, online news portal. The arrest was facilitated by an assistant to the state governor on infrastructural maintenance, Ali Odefa.

 

Odefa said the state government would conduct integrity test on all public buildings in Abakaliki. More than 60 persons escaped death when a wing of the popular hotel located close to Presco Campus of Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki, collapsed around 7pm on Wednesday.

 

Following the collapse, the Abakaliki Capital Territory Development Authority sealed the 26-room hotel on Thursday morning. The special assistant to the Governor David Umahi, on capital territory, Ejem Okoro, led the team that sealed the hotel. He said the hotel would remain sealed pending investigation by the government.

 

The hotel was commissioned for operation in May 2005 by former governor, Martin Elechi . A member of the hotel management, Autsine Orji, who spoke to journalists on the incident, said they had noticed a crack on some of the pillars holding the building and they immediately cordoned off the side of the building and while they began renovations.

 

“It was in the process of the renovations that the building collapsed.” Orji said those who lodged in the hotel were outside the building for a seminar when the incident happened, stressing that no life was lost.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Categories

Facebook

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call: Mobile Phone:+234 805 0498 544. Online Editor: Tunde Sulaiman Mobile Phone: 0805 0498 544; Email: tunsul2@gmail.com. Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: