Body & Soul

Hair porosity basics

Hair porosity basics

It is believed that a woman’s hair is her crown of glory although some ladies’ hair is far from glorious.

Most people do not understand their hair and it is in understanding your hair that you can give it the most care to get the absolute best out of it.

There is an erroneous belief that African natural hair doesn’t grow very long or beautifully. One of the things that will help you to refute this misconception is to know your hair porosity.

The porosity of your hair determines how much moisture and or oil your hair needs and in what order. It is divided into three main parts and they are:

Low porosity: simply means that your hair does not easily allow moisture in nor allow moisture out.

The trick in caring for this hair is to use heat to open up the hair cuticles to let in moisture. So, incorporate heat into your treatments: hot water to wash hair, heated deep conditioners, steaming, etc.

Try not to let product build up in your hair and use lighter oils and other products like coconut oil, almond oil, etc. apply products to damp, not saturated hair.

Normal porosity: this refers to hair that absorbs moisture and can hold it for a good amount of time.

This hair type is healthy and can hold a perm, styles and colouring very well with predictable results. It also has shine and a healthy bounce to it.

Normal porosity hair also tends to feel smooth to the touch. If you have normal porosity hair, chances are you are doing the right thing.

Keep doing regular deep conditioning treatments for continued product absorption into the hair.

High porosity: hair allows moisture in and out very freely because of the gaps in the hair cuticle. This hair type is parched and always dries out easily.

You have to keep this hair type as hydrated as possible. Stay away from heat and do deep conditioning treatments quite often.

Always rinse your hair with cold water to seal the cuticles and prevent frizz. This also helps to seal in the moisture and when you apply your conditioner which hydrates the hair, followed by light oil (avoid heavy oils that would weigh the hair down), the sealing is complete.

*Do take the hair porosity test at home as shown to know which is yours.

1. rekordbox torrent

July 6, 2019 at 3:16 pm

I love reading through and I believe this website got some genuinely utilitarian stuff on it! .

2. ufc 3 pc torrent

July 6, 2019 at 9:35 am

I like this page, because so much useful stuff on here : D.

3. gx tool uc hack apk

July 6, 2019 at 4:25 am

Enjoyed examining this, very good stuff, thanks .

July 6, 2019 at 2:37 am

Some truly interesting stuff on this web site , appreciate it for contribution.

5. open dego

July 5, 2019 at 2:30 am

Have you ever considered about including a little bit more than just your articles? I mean, what you say is fundamental and all. Nevertheless think about if you added some great images or videos to give your posts more, “pop”! Your content is excellent but with images and clips, this blog could definitely be one of the best in its niche. Very good blog!

6. prison life hack download

July 4, 2019 at 2:29 am

I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thanks , I will try and check back more often. How frequently you update your website?

7. escape from tarkov cheats and hacks

July 2, 2019 at 2:49 am

Thanks for sharing superb informations. Your web site is so cool. I’m impressed by the details that you have on this web site. It reveals how nicely you perceive this subject. Bookmarked this website page, will come back for extra articles. You, my friend, ROCK! I found simply the info I already searched all over the place and simply couldn’t come across. What an ideal web-site.

8. fortnite cheats

July 1, 2019 at 3:11 pm

Nice post. I study something tougher on totally different blogs everyday. It’s going to all the time be stimulating to learn content material from different writers and apply somewhat one thing from their store. I’d prefer to make use of some with the content material on my weblog whether or not you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a link on your web blog. Thanks for sharing.

9. hackear zg survival

July 1, 2019 at 4:33 am

Right now it appears like Expression Engine is the preferred blogging platform out there right now. (from what I’ve read) Is that what you’re using on your blog?

10. advanced systemcare 11.5 key

June 28, 2019 at 8:44 am

fantastic post, very informative. I wonder why the other experts of this sector do not notice this. You should continue your writing. I’m confident, you’ve a great readers’ base already!

11. strucid aimbot

June 28, 2019 at 1:52 am

Thank you for any other informative web site. The place else may just I am getting that type of info written in such a perfect means? I’ve a venture that I’m simply now running on, and I’ve been on the look out for such info.

12. synapse x serial key

June 27, 2019 at 3:26 pm

excellent points altogether, you just gained a brand new reader. What would you recommend in regards to your post that you made a few days ago? Any positive?

13. ispoofer license key

June 27, 2019 at 12:43 am

Hello, you used to write great, but the last several posts have been kinda boring… I miss your tremendous writings. Past several posts are just a little bit out of track! come on!

14. geometry dash 2.11 download

June 26, 2019 at 1:02 am

Greetings! This is my first comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and say I really enjoy reading your blog posts. Can you recommend any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with the same topics? Thanks a ton!

15. skin swapper

June 25, 2019 at 2:33 pm

Thanks , I’ve recently been searching for information about this subject for ages and yours is the greatest I’ve discovered so far. But, what about the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?

16. free fire hack version unlimited diamond

June 25, 2019 at 1:27 am

Fantastic goods from you, man. I have understand your stuff previous to and you are just too excellent. I actually like what you’ve acquired here, certainly like what you’re stating and the way in which you say it. You make it enjoyable and you still care for to keep it smart. I can not wait to read much more from you. This is actually a tremendous website.

June 24, 2019 at 11:25 pm

Hello my friend! I wish to say that this post is amazing, nice written and include almost all important infos. I’d like to see more posts like this.

18. tourist bus simulator activation key.txt

June 24, 2019 at 2:13 pm

Hi there would you mind stating which blog platform you’re using? I’m planning to start my own blog soon but I’m having a tough time selecting between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I’m looking for something unique. P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I had to ask!

June 24, 2019 at 9:46 am

What’s Happening i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have found It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I hope to contribute & assist other users like its helped me. Great job.

June 23, 2019 at 1:55 pm

Hello! Do you know if they make any plugins to help with SEO? I’m trying to get my blog to rank for some targeted keywords but I’m not seeing very good results. If you know of any please share. Appreciate it!

21. team outwitt

June 23, 2019 at 11:59 am

What’s Going down i am new to this, I stumbled upon this I have discovered It absolutely helpful and it has aided me out loads. I’m hoping to contribute & help other customers like its helped me. Good job.

22. fifa 18 patch download

June 21, 2019 at 1:59 am

I have been surfing on-line more than 3 hours these days, but I never discovered any attention-grabbing article like yours. It is pretty worth sufficient for me. In my view, if all site owners and bloggers made good content material as you did, the internet can be a lot more useful than ever before.

23. nonsense diamond download

June 20, 2019 at 12:52 pm

I was suggested this web site by my cousin. I’m not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my trouble. You are wonderful! Thanks!

June 19, 2019 at 2:32 pm

I’m impressed, I must say. Really not often do I encounter a blog that’s each educative and entertaining, and let me inform you, you might have hit the nail on the head. Your thought is excellent; the difficulty is one thing that not sufficient people are talking intelligently about. I’m very comfortable that I stumbled throughout this in my search for one thing relating to this.

25. redline v3.0

June 18, 2019 at 12:50 pm

What i don’t realize is in reality how you’re now not really a lot more well-preferred than you may be right now. You’re very intelligent. You already know therefore significantly in relation to this topic, produced me individually believe it from so many numerous angles. Its like men and women aren’t involved unless it’s something to accomplish with Girl gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. Always maintain it up!

Body & Soul

Day ghosts came in pair

Day ghosts came in pair

Chief clears his throat, looks around him, then at the three men and a woman and clears his throat again.

Sam is getting irritably impatient. He feels like rushing to Chief and forcing the words out of his mouth. He looks around him and notices that no one is as eager as he is to hear what Chief has to say. Obviously, he’s the only person that’s in the dark. He turns to Kim and notices a glow in her eyes. Tears?

“Fate has a way of fiddling with our lives. It swings us back and forth, throwing joy and pain at us at whim. One moment you are happy, the next, you are in pain. One moment you are crying, the next you are laughing.

Years ago, I found myself crying. I cried and cried, before then, I had laughed but at times, the laughter was painful, painful because I was not allowed to live my life the way I wanted. My parents wanted to live my life for me. I made up my mind that my children would make their choices. I made up my mind that I would allow them make their mistakes,” Chief said.

He looks at his listeners. If looks could kill, Sam’s eyes would have dismembered Chief.

Suddenly, Chief stares at Sam intently and continues.

“The first day you stepped through that door, I knew something would change. The shock almost killed me. I thought I saw an apparition. You look so much like your father. But the ghost of that day came in a pair. I felt I was caught in a whirlwind. I thought I was having another issue with my heart. I thought I’d die. I prayed to God to preserve my life. Later, during my stay in the hospital, I thought about it all and made some discreet enquiries which led to more revelations.”

Chief looks around him again.

“Get me a glass of something strong,” he said to Val.

“No Chief. You need water, not alcohol. Get him water, please,” Dr. Jones said firmly.

“Doctor, an old man should know what’s good for him…but I give up. Will make do with the water. I’ll live my life the way I want once you step out of that door,” Chief said with a smile as he accepts a glass of water from Val.

He stares at Kim and she squirms in her seat. He looks up and down and rests his eyes on Sam again. By now, Sam is feeling hot and cold at the same time. Suddenly, he starts sweating in the air-conditioned living room.

“What an old man sees while sitting down, a young man will not see even if he climbs the tallest tree…” Chief said.

“Excuse me sir, I want to use the gents,” Sam said, standing up. He heads to the gents.

He fiddles with his fly as the urgency intensifies immediately he closes the door behind him. After peeing, he flushes and zips up carefully. As he washes his hands, his brow creases.

He leans against the door and wipes the sweat off his brow with his palm. The manner in which Val wraps his eyes endearingly around Kim unsettles him.

Could there be something between them? Could there be a discreet affair between them? Kim is intoxicated by wealth. She’s always telling him that it was a mistake she was born into a poor home. She told him that she usually had dreams of rich parentage when she was much younger. She egged him on to accept anything Chief offered them. It is a chance at improving their lot in life.

What if he has to leave the job suddenly? What if whatever Chief has to say makes him take a drastic decision there and then? Can he turn his back on the new job and all the goodies that comes with it? Will Kim accept him if he has to lose everything now? To think that he sold his personal vehicle just 48 hours ago! Kim had harassed him into selling the car.

“How do you feel when you park this wretched looking car beside this machine? Don’t you think that since our level has changed, everything should change with it?” Kim had gone on and on.

He had no choice. He had to sell his much loved Toyota Camry ‘Tiny light’.

Now, if he leaves Chief’s house without his official vehicle, he is ‘carless’ and he can bet with his mother’s head that Kim will not leave with him.

Kim! Kim and Val! He is yet to understand the affinity between them…

“Sam…Sam…Sam!!! Are you okay? You’ve been in there for rather too long.” It’s Val.

“Er…em…yeah…yes…I’m coming out now,” he replied, flushing the loo again and turning the tap off and on.

“Okay, dad said I should check on you,” Val said, his voice fading.

As Sam opens the door and steps into the living room, he panics again.

“A man dies only once,”he told himself and strides purposefully to the couch he left about 10 minutes earlier.

Chief looks him up and down.

“Young man, you have to pull yourself together. When I lost my first love, Val’s mother, I was devastated. I thought I was going to die. I took to drinking. At a point, I left for Bulgaria. I had a friend schooling in Sofia then and I just wanted to relax. I couldn’t cope with the weather, the cold was extreme. I took to alcohol like fish takes to water. After six months of being a layabout, I realised that my son needed me. I returned home. The young lady my parents got for me even before I finished school had moved into our house then. My parents got her to care for my son, Val. It was so easy to fall for her whims. She prepared and served my meals. I was still drinking. Most nights, my head was in the cloud. I didn’t know when I started going in to her. She got pregnant and my parents were ecstatic. It was a big wedding but I didn’t remember what transpired that day. I was drunk most of the day. My parents converted your father, Sam, to my personal driver.”

Sam’s head bobs. The others sit up in surprise. Clearly this is news to them all.

“Well, I lived with my wife in relative peace until we ran into an old neighbour of Val’s mother, Elsie. We’d stop by a stall to buy some fruits and vegetables.

“Immediately Elsie saw my pregnant wife, she screamed at me, ‘So, you sent this woman to come and kill the pregnant mother of your son so you could marry her, eh?’

“Your father had come down from the vehicle to open the car booth. On seeing him, Elsie shouted in astonishment, ‘Daniel!!!’

The effect of Chief’s word is electric. His audience literally jump from their seats, shocked.

“Dad, was my mum murdered?” Val asked, fear mixed with something indescribable in his voice.

*******

•Send your observations to:

julietbumah@gmail.com

Body & Soul

MTV EMA’s award: Burna Boy wins ‘Best Africa Act’

MTV EMA’s award: Burna Boy wins ‘Best Africa Act’

Serial hit maker, Burna Boy has been announced as the winner of the Best Africa Act award at the 2019 MTV EMA’s.

Burna, who was nominated alongside fellow Nigerian, Teni the Entertainer, South Africa’s Prince Kaybee and Nasty C, Harmonize from Tanzania and Togo’s duo TooFan, took home the prestigious award at a star-studded event held in Seville, Spain.

With his 2019 MTV EMA win, Burna Boy joins an exclusive list of Nigerian superstar artistes who have won the much coveted international honour. Past Nigerian winners of the MTV EMA Best Africa Act award include: 2Baba Idibia, D’Banj, Tiwa Savage and Davido.

Alex Okosi, Executive Vice President and Managing Director for Viacom International Media Networks Africa (VIMN Africa) a n d BET International commented: “African music continues to make significant contributions to global entertainment and culture. W e congratulate Burna Boy from Nigeria for winning the Best Africa Ac t at the 2019 MTV EMA which showcases and celebrates the best talent from the world.”

The 2019 awards show opened with pop superstar Dua Lipa delivering the first global stage performance of her new song “Don’t Start Now,” joined by a massive yellow wall of dancers.

Five dynamic change makers from around the globe were presented with the award during the “2019 MTV EMA” red carpet pre-show. The winners are among a generation of young people who are tackling the world’s toughest problems – including, climate change, economic imbalance and racial injustice.

South African TV Personality and rapper, Boity Thulo walked the 2019 MTV EMA’s Red Carpet in Seville Spain. She joined Impulse winner Alice Matabane and BFF on an experience to remember after winning their Impulse competition on MTV Africa (DStv channel 130).

Body & Soul

My father use to check to confirm my virginity –Halima Abubakar

My father use to check to confirm my virginity –Halima Abubakar

Nollywood actress, Halima Abubakar says her father used to check regularly to confirm that she was still a virgin while growing up.

She made this known via her Instagram page recently while reacting to American rapper, T.I’s statement on checking his daughter’s virginity status regularly. According to the movie star, it is not a bad thing for a parent to check their daughter’s virginity.

“I don’t see anything wrong in checking if your daughter is still a virgin. I remember my dad taking me to see different doctors; just to be sure. He stopped after three times. I hated him then a bit but he is just a father trying to protect his stubborn daughter.”

She said this in defense of the rapper, T.I’s statement about taking his daughter to the hospital regularly to check if she is still a virgin and this got everyone talking.

T.I. says he’s simply exercising his right as a parent to steer his daughter away from what he considers bad decisions.

Body & Soul

Trending news of the week: CeeC shares steamy photos to mark birthday

Trending news of the week: CeeC shares steamy photos to mark birthday

Cynthia Nwadiora, popularly known as CeeC turned 27 on 6 November 2019 and she was dripping hot sauce all over the Internet in her sexy birthday photo shoots!

CeeC had her curves in full display as she effortlessly rocked a sensual outfit from Eric More brand that showed off her amazing physique. She looked like a Grecian princess dipped in honey as she posed for the camera at Oniru beach, the venue of the photo shoot.

Super excited about her special day, CeeC, said, “What a year 26 was, what a chapter! I am so blessed, so grateful to be living a life I used to dream of. I am still dreaming, and I have a feeling 27 will manifest more of my dreams into reality. Thank you for all the love, the support, and the prayers. I see it all but most importantly, I feel it. Cheers to 27!”

For her birthday, CeeC got a shop gift to boost her business by die-hard fans. The TV star is now a proud owner of office space for her business in Lagos. The videos from the surprise gift presentation have already flooded social media, with her fans pretty excited about it.

Ceec was the 1st runner up for the Big Brother Naija 2018 ‘Double Wahala’ season.

Body & Soul

Rochas Okorocha now lone ranger

Rochas Okorocha now lone ranger

Following the ordeal which former governor of Imo State, Owelle Rochas Okorocha faced that almost submerged him without a helping hand coming from high quarters; the statue-loving Senator may have decided to become a lone ranger who expresses his thoughts without fear or favour.

The road to Damascus for the former presidential aspirant began when he tried to impose his son in-law, Uche Nwosu on the electorate. His party, the APC, would have none of that and frustrated his plans. The eventual division between the governor and his party paved the way for Emeka Ihedioha of the PDP to emerge the new governor.

Also, it is on record that having won his senatorial election, Okorocha faced another battle as his certificate of return was withheld by INEC on allegation that he pressured the resident electoral commissioner into announcing results in his favour. It took the intervention of a high court before he could join his colleagues at the red chambers.

Having gone through his ordeal, he seems to have decided to pitch his tent as a lone ranger who is no longer diplomatic in his utterances but speaks not minding whose ox is gored. Not too long ago, he suggested having three senators from each state should be scrapped and replace it with one senator per state. This of course didn’t go down well with his colleagues in the chamber as the motion was expressly ignored. Recently also, he spoke about dicey chances of APC surviving beyond 2023. This also, some believe, it was a jibe aimed at some folks in the party

Body & Soul

Most expensive pen costs $1,470,600

Most expensive pen costs $1,470,600

In 1888, 130 years ago, George Safford Parker founded the world’s largest pen factory, obtaining his own patent – the fountain pen Parker. A pen was no longer considered a writing instrument ever since. The writer’s tool gained an unprecedented status and leveled up its prestige rank with the help of new discerning owners and collectors: powerful politicians, business figures, show-business celebrities.

Even in this technology age we still use pens in our daily lives. Whether to write down a note while on a phone call or even something as simple as a grocery list, a pen will be needed to do so.

Due to the variety of materials and new pattern-making technologies, golden pens were put in the same rank as executive-class cars and Swiss-made watches.

The most expensive pen costs $1,470,600! The Aurora Diamant e Fountain Pen is the most expensive writing instrument and contains over 30 carats of De Beer’s diamonds on a solid platinum barrel. It has a two-tone, rhodium-treated, 18KT solid gold nib and is personalized with a coat of arms, signature or portrait.

The golden masterpiece Aurora Diamante is not inferior in price to the mansion in Beverly Hills, which makes this pen an unquestionable leader in the top of the world’s most expensive pens made of gold. The Italian company produces such models in limited quantities: one per year.

Body & Soul

Being an actress made me meet the love of my life –Seyi Edun

Being an actress made me meet the love of my life –Seyi Edun

Popularly known as ‘I am Shai’ or ‘Eja nla’, Seyi Edun is a fast-rising Nollywood actress and movie producer. She features mainly in the Yoruba movies and has grown to be reckoned with as an actress to watchout for. Seyi got married to Toyin Abraham’s ex-husband, Adeniyi Johnson, and this generated quite a ripple on social media last year. In this interview with VANESSA OKWARA, this beautiful actress bares it all and her journey to stardom

How has life been for you as an actress?

To me, being an actress is an awesome feeling because it enhances me to express my creative side at any available levels. Being an actress is also a beautiful thing. I can then say life has indeed been awesome. Though there are down moments too, but they have made me stronger to face the challenges of life.

What would you say being an actress has done for you?

Being an actress had done a lot for me, I must be sincere. It has opened doors for me. It has taken me to places I only imagined as a kid. Being an actress had made me see more to life. It has opened my mind towards the essentials of humanity that we must live to make life better for others. Being an actress had made me meet top people, kings and influential people in the society. And of course, being an actress made me meet the love of my life.

Would you drop making movies or acting for 1 million dollars?

Well, this is a dicey one. But truthfully, I can’t even though the money looks convincing. I believe in my craft, and I have a dream that someday I shall make movies that will bring record breaking income for me.

That is what they call passion. I’m so passionate about my craft. Being an actress for me is not all about money, but also about the impact of my art on the society; about my contribution to social discussions surrounding rape, girl-child education, politics, good governance and more.

I just introduced a back to school project called Shaiworld Initiatives, whereby we send children to school with the help of sponsors. Presently we have about four children in school.

What has fame changed about you?

Fame has a way of shaping and reshaping one’s normal life, honestly. Looking at social media particularly, one would wish to respond to some trolls or some statements. But because of fame or celebrity status, I will restrain from doing so. But in the real world, fame has got nothing on my true personality. I am true, open and welcoming; nothing so different other than we appear on screen.

Growing up as a young girl, did you ever imagine being an actress?

Yes, I have always looked forward to being a famous personality, a popular entertainer. It has been a part of me for a long time. I am highly grateful to God that I am doing what I love doing, and it is putting food on my table.

What are you currently working on?

I am working on some projects actually. I have three movies at post production stage, ‘Oko mi Ota Mi’, ‘Asewo’, ‘Case Closed’, while I’m also coordinating a production for an individual investor. On the other hand, I am working on a big collaboration between my NGO and some top philanthropists, in order to take things to higher level.

How do you fund your self-produced movies? And the challenges you faced in your first production?

Overtime, funding has been a major challenge in Nollywood. Most of the actors and producers have different ways of funding their productions. Irrespective of the ways, it is never an easy thing to achieve. I funded my productions mostly by myself.

But in recent times, I am working on collaboration with private investors in Nollywood.

Are you satisfied with the current level of production/Marketing plan in the Yoruba movie sector?

Well, I will frankly say that marketers are really trying to make things as smooth as possible, but there is always room for development. We must not forget that they are combating piracy, as it deeply affects the prospects of business. I give kudos to them for being strong all  the way. While some marketers are finding it difficult to survive, we still have some like, Corporate Pictures, Olasquare Movies, Olasco Films, Isolak Films, Hibee Pictures and Timolak Films, among others, using the digital marketing effectively as an alternative.

In what way would you advice the government to come into the movie industry to improve it?

Over the years, we have heard of government intervention programmes in Nollywood several times. But the major problem is that, the intervention programmes are not usually felt by the least artisan in the industry. It doesn’t go round. Access to government intervention fund is highly complicated. Also, government needs to monitor strictly the flow of funds or Grant meant for production support. Monitoring goes a long way in ensuring sincere spending and honest execution of projects as stated in respective proposals.

How is your hubby, Adeniyi Johnson?

We thank God. He is fine and doing great. Thank you.

What is it you both like and don’t like about him?

Well, I think this is a part of my family I will rather not wish to discuss here. Hope you understand.

What is that one thing about your hubby that drives you crazy?

It is for me only, I can’t sell out my ‘personal secret’, sorry.

What was the first thing he said to you the first day you met?

That’s a personal secret as well.

How have you been handling internet trolls?

You see, Internet trolls are something else entirely. I do reply them o! But my management has really worked on me now. Trolls don’t deserve any of my attention anymore. I don’t listen or pay attention to them anymore. I think that’s just the best way to deal with them.

How do you keep fit?

To me fitness isn’t just a mere thing; it is a lifestyle, a tradition. I take fitness seriously. It keeps me fit mentally, psychologically and physically.

You have a fashion line. Tell us more about it?

My fashion line was named Shai designs before, we rebirth to a new name, Shaiworld Luxury. It will be opening soon, its fast evolving. We are growing gradually. God has been awesome all the way.

Describe your style?

My fashion style is basically simple and comfortable. Once I am comfortable in it, I rock it. Public opinion of what I wear has never bothered me.

What are your favourite fashion accessories?

I wear Sherrygold accessories. I like it simple except on big occasions.

Your favourite make up accessories?

I hardly wear makeup; my makeup is occasional.

What can you never be caught doing in a movie?

I can never be caught flirting excessively in a movie. It is not my thing. I can never appear naked in a movie.

What is your advice to people, especially ladies/ women who are presently going through some of the things you have been through in life?

My sincere advice to them is to stay strong. Never give up on life. Never give up on yourself. Never give up on God. Whatever negativity that has been thrown at you, use them to build a formidable force for yourself. Above all, never downgrade anyone in life. Every person matters.

Words to your fans as 2019 enter its last quarter?

I appreciate my fans over the years for standing by me, for believing in my brand unconditionally. I love you all. Let’s keep being together

Body & Soul

Meal ideas for diabetic patients

Meal ideas for diabetic patients

Diabetes, often referred to as diabetes mellitus, is a long-term condition that causes high blood sugar level. It occurs when insulin production is inadequate and/or the body cells do not respond properly to insulin. Its most common symptoms include frequent urination, intense thirst and hunger, unusual weight gain or weight loss, fatigue, male sexual dysfunction, and numbness in hands and feet.

Nigerian foods are usually dense in high sugar, making it difficult for diabetics to know exactly what to eat to avoid spiking their sugar levels.

Being diabetic doesn’t restrict you to eat boring or bland foods as there are many healthy, fun meals which are less likely to increase the blood sugar level.

The most important for a diabetic is to track your carbohydrate intake. As a diabetic living in Nigeria, you can pay attention to what you eat without obsessing over everything. Nigerian foods for diabetics are foods rich in fibre and low in carbohydrates. To stay healthy, avoid sweets, soft drinks and fatty food.

Here’s a list of healthy local foods which can be enjoyed on a diabetic menu:

Soups:

edikaikong soup, Water leaf soup, Ogbono with vegetable soup, Afang soup, Bitter leaf, Okro soup and egusi soup (in moderation).

Swallow:

Wheat meal fufu, Guinea corn fufu, unripe plantain fufu, Amala.

Low carb meals:

Brown basmati rice and stew, Unripe plantain porridge, Moi Moi, Boiled plantain with stew, Roasted plantain with fish sauce, Plantain with beans porridge, Beans and whole wheat bread.

Nigerian comfort foods for diabetics:

Isi ewu, Nkwobi, Cow leg, Cow tongue, Fish pepper soup, Chicken pepper soup, Snail pepper soup, Peppered snail, Liver sauce, Gizzard pepper soup.

Body & Soul

Daring in brocade suit

Daring in brocade suit

Stylish Nigerian men have taken fashion to the next level with their appearances. Since every modern man must have a suit hanging in his wardrobe, patterned suits have differentiated the fashionable man from your regular man.

Brocade jacket suits are now your normal everyday suits and our glam guys are not afraid to rock it. Categorized in the jacquard family of fabrics, brocade is a thick, weighty, fancy material with a raised pattern with a rich, ornate slightly old-fashioned feel to it.

While originally made of only of silk fibers, brocade fabrics can be found today woven from a variety of natural and synthetic fibers. The fabric is almost always thick and features a weave with floating threads to create a lustrous surface and sheen. It is essential to handle brocade suit jackets with care because they are delicate, although weighty. Because of the weaving method used to create the intricate patterns, brocade fabric often shrinks when wet. Dry cleaning is always the preferred cleaning method when dirty, to prevent crushing or flattening the design, iron only on the wrong side of the jacket. Always use a press cloth or white woven cotton towel between the iron and the jacket to prevent snags and pulls.

You can style your brocade suit jacket as you would a suit, but be sure to dress our outfit down, it may be quite dramatic.

Body & Soul

Beautiful lace ensembles for parties

Beautiful lace ensembles for parties

The yuletide is fast approaching and this is the best time for you to start sewing outfits you will be rocking during that period for different parties and traditional occasions.

Outfits that will make you to stand out are those sewn using laces fabrics of different types and colours.

Laces have a way of making you look expensive. Choose from different types of lace fabric depending on your budget and create amazing styles that will make you stand out during the yuletide.

The mix of ultramodern fabrics with traditional motifs is a good way to start. Peplum or mermaid styles as well as flared sleeves in combination with the latest fashion trends: one shoulder, fringe, and feathers are some of the trendy styles in vogue now.

If you’re still wondering what style you’ll like to sew for that your amazing traditional attire, well here are some beautiful styles I’m sure you’ll love