Police in Lagos State Police have arrested a fake medical doctor, who cannot read or write. The suspect, Abdulrahman Mohammed, 39, from Borno State, was arrested for operating as a medical doctor at No.3, Bamishiele Street, Idi-Araba, Lagos. According to the police, Mohammed was not even able to complete his primary education. Rather, he used to hawk drugs and later graduated to owning a shop.
The state Commissioner of Police, Imohimi Edgal, said that further investigations into the activities of the suspect, who had been posing as a medical doctor, revealed that he had been practicing as a doctor for four years.
Mohammed, who admitted that he could neither read nor write, said that his patients used to read names of drugs to him. He added: “When they come to my shop, they would tell me what was wrong with them. I would give them drugs.
For instance, if the person comes and says that he or she has cold or headache, I would give the person ‘Panadol’ or ‘Paracetamol’. I charged them whatever amount I believe was affordable. Yes, I used to check blood pressure of people who come to me and I am not a doctor.” The suspect further confessed that he used to sell some of the medical equipment recovered from him to his patients.
“The suspect had been administering intravenous injections, conducting medical tests on his patients. He has been taking urine and blood samples from his patients. He buys his drugs from Idumota Market, Lagos State.
We are still investigating where and how he gets his drugs,” Edgal said. The commissioner added that items recovered from the suspect included blood pressure reading machine, both manual and digital. The police also recovered syringes, drip packs, both saline and sugar solutions, hand gloves and drugs. He disclosed that the suspect would be charged to court soon.
Corps member convicted for $150 fraud
A serving member of the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC), Samuel Orie, has been convicted on one count of impersonation and obtaining by false pretence to the tune of $150.
Orie was arraigned before Justice I. N. Buba of the Federal High Court, Enugu State, by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Enugu Zonal office, yesterday.
The EFCC spokesman, Wilson Uwujaren, said Orie was arrested on August 23, 2019, based on intelligence gathering regarding his fraudulent activities.
The charge against him reads, “that you Samuel Orie, alias Scott Gibb, sometime in 2019, in Enugu within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, fraudulently presented yourself as Mr. Scott Gibb, an American contractor travelling around the world and using your email address to wit:email@example.com with the intent to obtain money from unsuspecting victims on the internet and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 22(3) (b) and punishable under Section 22(4) of the Cybercrimes (Prohibition, Prevention) Act 2015.”
When the charge was read to him, Orie pleaded guilty. The prosecution counsel, E. V. Dalyop, urged the court to convict him as charged.
But the defendant’s counsel, E. O. Isiwu, pleaded with the court to temper justice with mercy as his client was a first time offender who was remorseful and willing to make restitution for all his actions.
Justice Buba convicted Orie and sentenced him to one month imprisonment starting from the date of his arrest. He is also to forfeit $150 and his Techno Camon M phone.
EFCC arrests 94 ‘yahoo’ boys at Osogbo party
Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) said it had arrested 94 suspected internet fraudsters otherwise called Yahoo Boys at a party in Osogbo, Osun State.
It said the arrest followed a raid by operatives of its Osogbo zonal office yesterday.
Also, the anti-graft agency said 19 exotic cars, laptops and other items were recovered during the dawn operation.
The Head of Media and Publicity of the EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujarem, who made the disclosure in a statement yesterday, said the suspects were undergoing interrogation and that those indicted would face prosecution.
He said: “Operatives of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, EFCC, Ibadan zonal office, on Monday, October 14, 2019, raided an Osogbo-based nightclub notorious for hosting parties for suspected internet fraudsters.
“The raid led to the arrest of 94 suspects and confiscation of 19 exotic cars, laptops, scores of sophisticated mobile phones and other items.
“Popularly known as ‘Club Secret Underground,’ the nightclub is located on the Ibadan-Iwo Expressway, Osun State capital.”
Uwujarem noted that the operation was a product of an intelligence report that suspected Yahoo Boys had concluded plans to hold a night party at the club.
He said: “The wee-hour operation was sequel to an intelligence report hinting that the suspected internet fraudsters were organising a night party for Sunday, October 13 during which some of them intended to celebrate their loots.
“A discreet operation on the club had earlier been carried out to ascertain the authenticity of the intelligence.
“The confirmation led to the mega raid effected on Monday.
“The suspects are currently undergoing further interrogation, and those indicted would be charged to court as soon as investigations are concluded.”
Katsina: 360 inmates flee from ‘dehumanising’ reformatory centre
At least 360 inmates on Sunday broke out of Malam Bello-Mai’almajirai local reformatory centre in Daura, Katsina State.
The inmates, who were reportedly subjected to deplorable and dehumanising conditions, escaped after breaking the burglary proof.
However, yesterday, the police ordered the immediate closure of the centre.
The state Commissioner of Police, Mr. Sanusi Buba, who inspected the centre in company with journalists and other relevant stakeholders, ordered the closure in Daura.
He said that inmates were subjected to deplorable and dehumanising conditions at the centre.
The commissioner, according to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN), added that the condition of inmates called for urgent and serious concern, noting that the police would search the 34 local government areas in the state to unravel such centres.
Buba explained that some of the inmates were handcuffed and compelled to sleep in unventilated rooms.
He said: “We would mount surveillance to fish out such culprits subjecting children to servitude.”
The commissioner urged parents, who took their children to the centre, to come forward with valid means of identification to claim them.
He said: “No law in the country permits such inhuman treatment.”
The Emir of Daura, Alhaji Faruk Umar Faruk, called on the police and other relevant security agencies to carry out thorough investigation on the issue.
He urged the police to be fair and just in their investigation so that the culprits would face appropriate sanctions.
The emir, who expressed shock at the discovery, said it was a surprise for such a thing to happen in his domain.
Probe our children’s murder by police, families beg Sanwo-Olu, IG
Families of the late Ayodele Solaja and Ogheneovo Ebobo have appealed to Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State and the Inspector General of Police, Mohammed Adamu, to order probe of the murder of the two young men.
The families specifically appealed to Sanwo-Olu to look into the complicity of the Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP) in the matter. They said Ayodele and Ogheneovo were murdered in cold blood by a police team led by an inspector at Iba New Estate, Lagos, on Monday August 19, 2019.
Speaking through their counsel, Adesina Ogunlana, the families said the claim by the police that the victims were robbers were unfounded since there was a video which had gone viral on the killing.
They described it as extra-judicial and demanded appropriate sanctions for the said inspector and three of his colleagues, who perpetrated the heinous act.
They said it was surprising that the killer policemen, who were already put behind bars, were released three weeks ago on the advice of the state Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP), Babajide Martins.
Ogunlana bemoaned the delay by the Commissioner for Justice in acting on petitions against the killing and sudden turn around by the DPP on the matter.
He also wondered why the police have refused to release the bodies of the victims to their families for burial.
Ayodele’s father, Chief Mayowa Solaja, expressed hope that the murder of his son would bring an end to extra-judicial killings and police brutality in the state.
He said Ayodele, who was a National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) member, was murdered a day to his return to his state of primary assignment.
Teenager sodomises 10-year-old girl to death
A 16-year-old boy, Paul Ikwechegh, a native of Igbere in Bende Local Government Area of Abia State, has allegedly sodomised a 10-year-old girl to death.
It was learnt that the suspect took the deceased, who hailed from Nkporo in Ohafia Local Government Area of Abia State, against her will and raped her to death.
The incident occurred on October 5, 2019, at No. 51, Emeonye Street, off Ngwa Road, Aba. It was also learnt that the anal penetration left the victim paralysed and hospitalised until she died on October 9.
The suspect reportedly has penchant for taking tramadol.
A source said: “I don’t know whether Paul got any help from any of his friends, but we discovered that he took the little girl to the place where he perpetrated the act. From what I learnt, he tried penetrating her from the vagina, but only he knows why he later decided to do it through the anus.
“I learnt he consumed tramadol so much at his age. After the whole show, the girl was left paralysed, but she identified him as the culprit. The family rushed her to the hospital while the police arrested Paul. The little girl cried until she died on Wednesday. I don’t know whether she got the right treatment, but enough damage was done to her anus. He’s still with the police.”
The state Commissioner of Police, Ene Okon, said the case was now murder and no longer rape.
The commissioner said the police would do all within the ambit of the law to ensure that justice was carried out.
He added: “The case was transferred to the State Criminal Investigations and Intelligence Department (SCIID) last week. But if the victim has died as information is saying, the charge will now be murder. Trust us that justice will be done.”
Police nab notorious kidnapper, recover ammunition
Officials of the Special Anti-Robbery Squad (SARS) attached to the Abia State Police Command have apprehended a notorious kidnapper, identified as ‘Success’.
Police sources told said Success, who had been on the wanted list of security agencies in the state, was tracked to a hideout in Obingwa Local Government Area.
The sources also said that Success was behind most kidnap operations in the Isiala-Ngwa area of the state.
The SARS team led by the Commander, SP Johnbull Obioguru, recovered five pistols, charms and live ammunition at the hideout where Success was picked.
The state Commissioner of Police, Ene Okon, who commended the SARS team for the arrest, directed the team to raid suspected criminal hideouts in the state.
The police also smashed a four-man robbery gang which specialised in car-snatching and raiding supermarkets at Lokpanta and Umuahia areas.
It was learnt that the ringleader, identified as Isi Ocha, and his members – Chinedu Ogbonna, Kelechi Agai, Ikechukwu Alozie – were arrested after they raided a supermarket in the city.
An impeccable police source said that acting on a tip off, the SARS team went after the suspects and arrested them.
Members of the gang reportedly confessed being behind car-snatching and kidnapping of motorists within the Lokpanta area on the Aba-Port Harcourt Expressway.
“Lokpanta had been in the news due to several incidents of highway robbery, kidnapping and car-snatching.
“The gang has been robbing supermarkets in Umuahia. Police were alerted to the incident, and we pursued and arrested them.
“During interrogation, they also confessed to be behind the car-snatching and kidnapping of motorists along the Lokpanta area on the Aba-Port Harcourt Expressway,” one of the sources said.
Kaduna: Soldiers rescue four abducted schoolgirls
Troops of the Operation Thunder Strike have rescued the remaining four of the 14 students of Government Day Secondary School, Gwagwada in Chikun Local Government Area of Kaduna State abducted by bandits last Thursday.
A community leader in the area said the students were rescued yesterday evening as the bandits were trying to escape with the girls to Niger State.
He said the soldiers, who have been patrolling the area, swooped on the kidnappers, leading to the freeing of the four students.
On Thursday last week, 14 students of the school were abducted on their way to school, 10 of them were immediately rescued by the troops.
The bandits, however, escaped with four students and were demanding a ransom of N2 million for their release.
This was as parents of the six female students and two staff of Engravers College, Kakau Daji, who were abducted on October 3, had appealed to the kidnappers to release their children.
The appeal came after the parents paid a ransom of N3.6 million, but the children were still being held in captivity by the bandits.
Addressing a press conference earlier yesterday in Kaduna, the spokesman for the parents, Mr. Chukwuemeka Adindu, pleaded with the kidnappers to have mercy on them and release their children.
Adindu, who denied any involvement of the state government in the release of the children and the two staff of the college, said they had been struggling on their own to secure the release of the children.
He said: “As we talk to you, we are left on our own to carry our cross. Since the government pronouncement, nothing has been done to rescue our children.
“We have been going up and down, pleading with the kidnappers to see reason with the little effort we have made to release our children to us.
“We have been suffering; we have been on our own. The school is a private school not a government-owned school. The state government has not done anything about our plight.
“We are, therefore, appealing to the kidnappers to release the students and two staff of Engravers College to us because we are left at the mercy of the kidnappers.”
How I was raped by badoo cult member, 19-year-old student narrates ordeal
A 19-year-old student (name witheld) on Monday narrated before an Ikeja Special Offences and Domestic Violence Court, Lagos how she was allegedly raped by a 24-year-old cultist, Tayo Bakare
The victim, a 300 level student of the Federal University, Oye-Ekiti (FUOYE), told the court that Bakare ordered her to remove her clothes, took nude pictures with her phone and had forceful sexual intercourse with her.
Bakare is standing trial on an eight count charge bordering on conspiracy to commit robbery, robbery, deprivation of liberty and rape.
According to the 19-year-old, who was led in evidence by Mrs K.A. Momoh-Ayokambi, the incident occurred on August 27, 2017 at Ikotun, Lagos.
The 300L student said that defendant threatened to kill her, locked her up inside the toilet after the rape and made away with her two phones and N2000 cash.
Woman,19, docked for allegedly escaping from police custody
A 19-year-old unemployed woman, Precious Ogbonna, on Monday appeared before an Ikeja Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly escaping from lawful custody.
Ogbonna, who lives at Ikeja, Lagos, is being tried for breach of peace and escape from lawful custody.
The Prosecutor, Insp. Mojirade Edeme, told the court that the defendant committed the offences on October 2 at Allen Ave. Ikeja.
She said the defendant escaped from custody when she was arrested in connection with a case of conduct likely a threat to life.
“The defendant was arrested when she unlawfully entered into a man’s apartment, threatening to deal with him.
“When the police was taking her back to the scene of the crime after her arrest, she secretly opened the door of the vehicle and ran away.
“She was later re-arrested,” Edeme said.
Following her plea of not guilty, Magistrate Mrs. O.A Aderibigbe released her on bail of N20, 000 with one surety in like sum.
Aderibigbe said that the surety should be gainfully employed and show evidence of two years tax payment to the Lagos State Government.
Further hearing has been fixed for October 28.
The prosecutor said the alleged offences contravene Sections 168 and 106(b) of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Section 106(b) prescribes two years jail term for escaping from lawful custody.
Court remands 72-yr-old man for allegedly raping, impregnating daughter
The Chief Magistrates’ Court 10 in Gombe, on Monday remanded 72-year-old Ibrahim Yunusa in prison custody for allegedly raping and impregnating his biological daughter.
Yunusa of Dadinkowa, Yamaltu/Deba Local Government, Gombe State had on arraignment pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The Chief Magistrate, Daura Sikkam ordered the remand of the accused person and adjourned the case to November 13 for further mention to enable police complete investigation.
Earlier, reading the police First Information Report (FIR) Dalaky Wanma, the court clerk, said the accused committed the offences several times between December 2018 and January 2019.
He said Yunusa forcefully had carnal knowledge of his 17-year-old biological daughter (name withheld) and impregnated her in his house.
The clerk said the offence is contrary to sections 390 and 282 of penal code.
The Police Prosecutor, Sgt. Bako Shekari, also told the court that police had just commenced investigations into the matter.
He therefore asked the court for adjournment to enable the police complete investigations and seek legal advice from the Ministry of Justice
News15 hours ago
Terrorism: Nigeria to get 3 J70 fighter aircraft from Pakistan
News9 hours ago
Minimum Wage: We’ll open budget to workers, says Ngige
News24 hours ago
Remains of Ethiopian Airlines crash victims arrive Kenya
Metro and Crime9 hours ago
Teenager sodomises 10-year-old girl to death
News6 hours ago
Aisha Buhari attacked me in Aso Rock –Daura’s daughter
Politics8 hours ago
2023 presidency divide North, South
Politics14 hours ago
Senatorial election: Ajimobi’s appeal against Balogun fixed for Thursday
Politics8 hours ago
Presidency has become instrument for sectional aggrandizement – Nwodo