Features

Hating Nigeria to greatness –Adesanmi

Hating Nigeria to greatness –Adesanmi

I once wrote this op-ed because I am a weekly columnist entitled The Parable of the Shower Head, it went viral online and it was all over the place for several months. That story came out of a personal experience, about 5 years ago, I don’t recall the exact date. The Nigerian High Commissioner to Canada, Prof. Iyowuetse Aye published a book and decided to launch it back home in Abuja. So he invited me to come and be the book reviewer and then somehow along the line changed his mind and said “Prof. I don’t even want an ordinary review; do a full-scale lecture around the book using the book as a stand-point. And I said I’d be very happy to do that and he flew me.

It was a very upper class event because at that time he was in the good graces of the Villa so he brought in the movers. I recall that on the podium with me was the Minister of the Federal Capital Territory, there were governors and some ministers, Ajumogobia was there and for an event like that.

Where do you think they were going to lodge the main speaker? For an event at that level? Where do you think in Abuja, which of the hotels? Well I’m not naming names or mentioning hotels but it was one of the top of the shelf hotels in Abuja. So I checked in, long flight, it was exactly like I did yesterday, long flight all the way so I am tired and I needed a shower badly. And up until I went to the shower, everything was top notch. In fact, everything about the hotel, the reception and how they went about everything because we in the diaspora, whenever anything works in Nigeria, it is an exception. You would say ‘Ope o’. You know it’s a little irritating thing like ‘see level, see class, now I’m impressed.

This country is progressing and then I get to my room, everything working until I turned on the shower. Water pressure, fantastic, the only trouble was only about half of the shower holes were actually working, the other half was blocked. But it was really gushing, the half that was working was really gushing. All the French instinct, the Canadian instinct, American instinct, the normal instinct took over and I just ran to the phone, without thinking, Adesanmi to complain that ‘oh the shower is not working’ and they were very apologetic.

They said we would send a technician up in 15 minutes and guess what, exactly 15 minutes later, I heard a knock, pon pon pon and said ehn! No African time, they said 15 minutes and he is here. Okay o. Very professional technician, uniform, tool box, greets me in perfect English but I answered in Pidgin. And he said: “Oh, oga you be like us” and I replied “No dull me, me I full ground o” and so we broke the ice and as we were talking, we were going to the bathroom and everything was fine until he turned on the shower and water gushed out.

Then he looked at me, looked at the shower. He turned it off to make sure and then turned it on again and water gushed out and he said “Ah, oga. Sebi you say, this thing is working now, wetin do am?” Before I could recover, he went in further and said: “See bucket and bow self, make I run water for you?” So I had to admit as I was tired by saying: “I no even know wetin dey do me, maybe I no see” because I just didn’t know where to start. When he left, I sat thinking, in considerable sadness.

That shower head was a summation of who we are. A perfect metaphor for the Nigerian condition. And we are talking of that hotel in Abuja so I started thinking how many Nigerian big men and women, senators or governors have passed through this and used this shower just like this? Where do I even start, how do I explain this psychology that of 200 hundred holes in a shower head, if one is not working, he no be panadol, it is not working? And all the places we go to admire, Europe, Canada, United States, they were hated into greatness.

It is somebody hating the idea that there could be one shower head somewhere where one hole is not working, no, it cannot happen. It is mediocrity so that develops into a culture of regular scheduled maintenance. It cannot happen so because we don’t have, move from the shower head all the way from the hotel to the airport yesterday, all the way to the hotel through Third Mainland Bridge, you will see one street light with one bulb working and then darkness for another ten kilometres, they didn’t all die at once. It is one bulb at a time so what is wrong? Again, fix it, fix it.

Develop a culture of contempt for the mediocrity because that shower head, ladies and gentlemen, the part that is blocked, will not work for a Christian and it will not work for a Moslem. It will not work for an Igbo man or a Yoruba man or an Ijaw man; it affects everybody equally across all of these differences that we don’t know how to use constructively and is blocking the progress of this country. So you have got to transcend those differences to fix mediocrity, to develop a culture of contempt for mediocrity. But you know why we won’t fix it, I will tell you why so that you can leave this room thinking about it.

Being a lecture delivered by Pius Adesanmi at The Platform 2015

1. plenty of fish dating site

November 18, 2019 at 9:55 am

Every weekend i used to go to see this web site, for the reason that i wish
    for enjoyment, for the reason that this this website
    conations actually pleasant funny stuff too.

2. our coconut oil

November 15, 2019 at 9:57 am

Hi, I do believe this is a great website. I stumbledupon it 😉 I am going to return once again since i have bookmarked it.

Money and freedom is the greatest way to change, may you be rich and continue to
    guide other people.

3. our coconut oil

November 14, 2019 at 9:52 am

Heya i’m for the primary time here. I found this board and I in finding It truly useful & it helped me out a lot.
    I’m hoping to present something back and aid others like you aided me.

4. coconut oil was

November 14, 2019 at 5:04 am

I have learn a few excellent stuff here. Definitely value bookmarking
    for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you place to make one of these excellent informative site.

5. how to get help in windows 10

July 17, 2019 at 11:41 pm

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i am actually pleassant to read all at
    single place.

6. plenty of fish dating site

July 15, 2019 at 10:47 am

I’m gone to say to my little brother, that he should also go to see this blog
    on regular basis to obtain updated from most recent news.

7. quest bars cheap 2019 coupon

July 9, 2019 at 5:51 am

Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering which blog platform are you using for this website?
    I’m getting tired of WordPress because I’ve
    had issues with hackers and I’m looking at alternatives for another platform.
    I would be great if you could point me in the direction of a good platform.

8. plenty of fish dating site

June 22, 2019 at 1:37 am

I visited various web sites however the audio
    feature for audio songs existing at this web site
    is actually superb.

9. playstation 4 best games ever made 2019

June 12, 2019 at 2:58 pm

Howdy! This blog post could not be written much
    better! Looking at this article reminds me of my previous roommate!
    He always kept talking about this. I’ll forward this post to him.

Fairly certain he’s going to have a great read. I appreciate you for sharing!

10. tinyurl.com

June 9, 2019 at 9:28 pm

Great info. Lucky me I came across your website by chance (stumbleupon).
    I have book-marked it for later!

11. top ps4 games 2019

June 8, 2019 at 7:38 am

I don’t even know how I finished up right here, but I believed this publish was great.
    I don’t understand who you are but certainly you’re going to
    a well-known blogger for those who are not already. Cheers!

12. minecraft free download

May 15, 2019 at 11:13 am

Howdy, i read your blog from time to time and i own a similar one and i was just wondering if you get a lot
    of spam feedback? If so how do you reduce it, any plugin or
    anything you can recommend? I get so much lately it’s driving me crazy so any assistance is very much appreciated.

13. g

May 13, 2019 at 4:17 pm

I think this is among the most important info for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But want to
    remark on few general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really great :
    D. Good job, cheers

14. g

May 13, 2019 at 8:49 am

Link exchange is nothing else except it is only placing the other person’s web site link on your page at appropriate place and
    other person will also do same in favor of you.

15. free minecraft download

May 8, 2019 at 10:41 pm

Hey there! I just would like to offer you a big thumbs up for your great information you have got
    here on this post. I will be returning to your site for more soon.

16. minecraft pc download

May 6, 2019 at 9:49 pm

Hi, for all time i used to check webpage posts here in the early hours in the
    morning, for the reason that i like to gain knowledge of more and more.

17. gamefly free trial

May 4, 2019 at 11:53 am

I am not sure where you are getting your information, but great
    topic. I needs to spend some time learning
    more or understanding more. Thanks for fantastic info I
    was looking for this information for my mission.

Features

Plateau community buries vigilantes allegedly killed by military, demands justice

Tears flowed as three vigilante members allegedly shot death by operatives of Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), a Military Task Force in charge of internal security in Plateau State and its environs, were given a community burial at Kwi village in Riyom Local Government Area of Plateau State.

The Kwi community had alleged that the Special Task Force officials had on April 20, 2019, arrested 17 vigilante members in Kwi village, near Jos Airport, Plateau State. The victims were Elisha Yakubu Bot , Joshua Dung and Bot Bulus Rwang, members of a vigilance group in Kwi community.

Saturday Telegraph gathered that the young men lost their lives when two persons from a neighbouring community were attacked on Saturday 20 April, 2019 by suspected herdsmen in Kwi village where one person lost his life while another escaped.

The surviving person raised the alarm for help which attracted the vigilante to the scene. But when the military, stationed in the community, arrived shortly after the vigilante, they started shooting sporadically. One of the victims of the alleged military attack who survived, 25-yearold Madaki Shedrack, told Saturday Telegraph that 17 of them were arrested by the OPSH Operatives of Sector 9 and three persons among them were inflicted with gunshots injuries.

Shedrack said: “14 of us were taken to Sector 9 at Makera in Riyom and the three injured persons were taken to the hospital for treatment. We were taken to the headquarters of Operation Safe Haven the following morning and we couldn’t see three of our colleagues.

“The military kept us in their custody for about one month until we were transferred to the Police Headquarters, Jos, where our statements were taken and we were subsequently released without seeing three of our members.” Another victim name Samuel Dung age 26 said men of Operation Safe Haven arrived several minutes late to the scene of the attack and didn’t asked question regarding what happened but started shooting and arresting indiscriminately. “Without a question, they started shooting at us,” he said. He said after seeing three of the vigilantes gunned down, they surrendered and were taken into custody, leaving behind the corpse of their tribesman killed by the initial suspected herdsmen attackers. “They took us to their Sector 9 base before moving us to the STF Headquarters in Jos and called us robbers, we were tortured for months Dung said.

“The first day, they tortured us for more than five hours, beating us mercilessly and pouring water on us,” Dung narrated. Wife of late Elish Yakubu Bot, Mrs Martha, 38, and mother of six cried and wailed until she almost passed out and was revived and consoled by the villagers who were also crying uncontrollably.

She said her husband was an active farmer and member of the vigilante before he was alleggedly killed by the military. She called on Federal Government to investigate the alleged killings of three vigilante members including her husband whose corpses were dumped at Bingham University Teaching Hospital, Jos. “I will not accept this injustice; people who are paid by Federal Government to protect innocent persons are the ones killing them. My husband was only doing community service, why will he be killed? I want the Federal Government to provide my husband alive and take decisive action on the perpetrators,” she cried.

Saturday Telegraph gathered that the Kwi community engaged a lawyer who advised them to carry out autopsy at the Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH) to identify how they died. The corpses were released to the community on November 13, for mass burial at the village Kwi.

Family members, lawyers and community stakeholders were denied access to the detainees until they were transferred to Police custody several months later. The Director, Emancipation Centre for Crisis Victims in Nigeria, Solomon Dalyop, while Speaking during the burial said the community would seek legal redress on the matter He said the three vigilantes believed to have died in custody, investigation revealed, were donated to Bingham University Teaching Hospital Jos as cadaver.

“We wrote several letters and petitions before the 14 were released in August. The Task Force denied knowledge of their whereabouts but after a thorough and vigorous search, we learnt their corpses were donated to Bingham University Teaching Hospital for research,” he said.

“They killed our youths for responding to a situation that they couldn’t respond to, and they never responded to our letters demanding their whereabouts. “It is a concealment of act of extrajudicial killing which is never within the contemplation of the Nigerian laws and we will be left with no option than to seek legal redress, the murder however does not just have legal but social and economic implications. He said the community wrote the OPSH headquarters two times to provide the three vigilantes alive or dead but there was no response from them. Also, a stakeholder from the com-munity and Former Rector of the Plateau State Polytechnic Dr. Dauda Gyemang said: “The killing of our youths by people who are supposed to guard us shows that our children have no hope for the future.”

Former Commissioner of Finance in Plateau State and community Leader, Hon. Davou Mang, said the persistent conflicts and culpability of the security have caused fear thus preventing people from working thereby increasing hardship for the locals.

He said the community together with the families embarked on the search for the corpses from one mortuary to the other until the corpses were found at Bingham University Teaching Hospital in August. He said the hospital management told the community that the corpses were deposited there on April 21, 2019, by members of the Operation Safe Haven (OPSH). Our correspondent observed that tears flowed freely and emotions were high when the corpses arrived the community from Jos University Teaching Hospital (JUTH) for burial.

Efforts to speak with the spokesperson of the Operation Safe Haven (OPSH), Major Shittu Adebanjo, proved abortive as he did not respond to his calls. Messages sent to his phones were similarly not responded to. Efforts to reach the Bingham University Teaching Hospital, Jos, were equally unsuccessful as the Managing Director, Prof Edwin Eseigbe, who is the only person authorised to speak on behalf of the hospital did not respond to our correspondent’s questions. He maintained that the hospital had already explained to the family what

Features

Tam David-West in final escape

Tam David-West in final escape

N

ow, my introduction to Professor Tam David-West was on this wise: I was brought up by a very strict, educationist father, who would not allow his seven children travel during holidays, particularly the long vacation at the end of the session. He had his own way of keeping us busy.

My town, Ipetumodu, in Osun State, is about ten to fifteen minutes drive from the university town, Ile-Ife. During holidays, my father would drive us to the bookshop on campus, and we would leave the place laden with all kinds of books. That was our own holiday.

In 1980, we went on the annual visit to the bookshop. We bought our books, and my father bought one for himself. The title was Philosophical Essays, and the author was one Tam David-West.

I had just finished writing the secondary school leaving certificate examination, and shouldn’t have any taste for essays yet, whether philosophical or not. But because of the way we had been brought up, I read anything and everything. I started reading Philosophical Essays whenever my father was not busy with it, and eventually ‘borrowed’ the book. You know that kind of ‘borrowing,’ which you never return. The remnant of that book, with the front and back covers torn, is in my library till today.

I read Philosophical Essays from cover to cover, and noted very many profound quotations from it, which eventually became part of my writings in later years.

As a journalist with Concord Press, I wrote a piece in the early 1990s, and quoted from Philosophical Essays. A few weeks later, somebody came calling in our office. It was Professor Tam David-West. He said he read my piece, in which I had quoted him. That was the beginning of a friendship that lasted almost 30 years.

Over time, I quoted DavidWest profusely in my writings, and curiously, he, too, quoted me in his many essays. He read everything I wrote as a newspaper columnist, and I was instrumental to the publishing of his essays, first at Concord Press, and later at The Sun Newspapers.

One other thing endeared us to each other, apart from passion for writing. We both loved Muhammadu Buhari with an enduring love. David-West had served him as Petroleum and Energy Minister, and became a passionate Buharist, just like myself.

When Buhari joined partisan politics in 2002, he had two willing and enthusiastic soldiers of the pen behind him, among thousands of others. Prof David-West and myself. Between 2003 and 2015, when Buhari finally won, we wrote tons upon tons of articles. So committed was David-West that when he wrote what we considered too voluminous to publish free, he would procure pages of the newspaper, so that the articles could be run unedited.

Beyond writing, we became family. When my siblings, Foluke and Tayo, were named Professors at the Obafemi Awolowo University and University of Ibadan, respectively in 2012, Prof David-West was Chairman of the reception held for them, where we asked him to give a professorial charge. He did.

Also, when my mother passed on in 2013, and we held a commendation service for her in Lagos, the Professor drove all the way from Ibadan to attend. He sat at the same table with the then General Muhammadu Buhari, who had flown in from Kaduna to also be part of the event.

Every August 26 is Prof David-West’s birthday. But because he didn’t like celebrating, you know what the man would do? Travel abroad before the date. He jocularly called it ‘August Escape.’ When he was to turn 70, I impressed it on him that he deserved to be celebrated. Shortly before the date, he traveled to London. August Escape.

On Monday, at about 11 a.m, the erudite Professor of Virology made his final escape. An hour after it happened, I got a phone call from somebody who was with him in his final moments, telling me what had happened. Sad, sad. Yes, when you are 83, anything can happen, but I still felt quite sad to hear about the final escape of my senior friend.

Prof David-West, in the last few years of his life, became quite prayerful. He prayed at 9 a.m, 4 p.m, and 6 p.m. And because we were always talking , he would call me when prayer time was approaching, to tell me that he would switch off his phone for some time. Now, he’s gone to where phones can never reach. Oh, what a life!

He had been on admission at the University College Hospital (UCH) in Ibadan for a number of days, and was to be discharged to go home on Monday. But before the doctors allowed him to go, the Professor discharged himself. To eternity.

As a build-up to the 2011 presidential election, David-West sought to correct the malicious falsehood peddled for long about our common hero. So, he wrote a book titled ‘The 16 Sins of Muhammadu Buhari.’ It was all to debunk 16 allegations often leveled against the man from Daura. When the book was presented at the Nigerian Institute of International Affairs (NIIA) in Lagos, I was Master of Ceremonies. It was the first day I met Gen. Buhari in person, though we had spoken on phone many times, as he had always read my articles, and would call to discuss the content.

Prof David-West had sent me a number of times in recent years to give his goodwill message to President Buhari. And whenever I passed the word, the President would laugh, and say:”the indomitable David-West.”

One very gratifying thing the President did was in December last year. He wrote the Professor a personal letter of appreciation for his support, included a Christmas/New Year greeting card from State House, which I had the duty to deliver. The Professor appreciated it greatly.

My colleague and successor as Managing Director/ Editor-in-Chief of The Sun Newspapers, Eric Osage, is also a David-West person. When the man turned 80 three years ago, Osage did a piece, celebrating him. The Professor loved it so much, that he photocopied the article, marked out some sections, and sent to me. A couple of weeks ago, before he took ill , he had sent the same article to me again. And on hearing the news of his death on Monday, Osage sent me a text message:”David-West was a great man. We can never forget him. His memory will linger forever. Loyal to the end.”

True. He was loyal to the end. There were some people, who had tried to drive a wedge between President Buhari and the renowned virologist, through snide comments . But the man would call me, and say: “I believe in President Buhari. He has not changed, and won’t change.”

Every year, when he did his August Escape, David-West always came back with gifts for my wife. Lace fabric, and perfume. It was as constant as the Northern Star. When I broke the news of his passage on Monday, the first thing my wife said was “oh, he always bought me lace and perfume.” Well, we will only be remembered by what we have done, after we have faded away like the stars of the morning.

I remember an interview David-West granted to The Sun before the 2015 election. He was in Port Hacourt, and I had sent our Bureau Chief, Chris Anucha, to talk to him. During the dialogue, he had declared that even if his father ran against Buhari in an election, he would vote for Buhari. That was where I took the headline from.

Time, like an ever rolling stream, bears all its sons away, they fly forgotten as a dream dies at the opening day. Tamunoemi Sokari David-West, the essayist, academic, virologist, record keeper, anti-corruption crusader, a stickler for time, dyed-in-the wool Buharist, is gone. When I lost my sister in 2015, he was at the funeral service. As the coffin was being moved from the church to the cemetery, I broke down in tears. The Professor came, hugged me, and began to cry with me. Why shouldn’t I now cry for him?

I’m doing so.

Adesina is Special Adviser on Media and Publicity to President Muhammadu Buhari

Features

How a preacher sent gunmen into Burkina Faso’s schools

How a preacher sent gunmen into Burkina Faso’s schools

When an Islamist preacher took up the fight in Burkina Faso’s northern borderlands almost a decade ago, his only weapon was a radio station. The words he spoke kindled the anger of a frustrated population, and helped turn their homes into a breeding ground for jihad.

Residents of this parched region in the Sahel – a vast band of thorny scrub beneath the Sahara Desert – remember applauding Ibrahim “Malam” Dicko as he denounced his country’s Western-backed government and racketeering police over the airwaves.

“We cheered,” said Adama Kone, a 32-year-old teacher from the town of Djibo near the frontier with Mali, who was one of those thrilled by Dicko’s words. “He understood our anger. He gave the Fulani youth a new confidence.”

Mostly herders, young men like Kone from the Fulani people were feeling hemmed in by more prosperous farmers, whom they felt the government in Ouagadougou favoured. The preacher successfully exploited their conflicts over dwindling land and water resources, and the frustrations of people angered by corrupt and ineffective government, to launch the country’s first indigenous jihadi movement. That cleared a path for groups affiliated with al Qaeda and Islamic State.

Since Dicko’s first broadcasts, Burkina Faso has become the focus of a determined jihadi campaign by three of West Africa’s most dangerous armed groups who have carved out influence in nearly a third of the country, while much of the world was focused on the crisis in neighbouring Mali. Militant Islamist fighters close schools, gun down Christians in their places of worship and booby-trap corpses to blow up first responders. At least 39 people died last week in an ambush on a convoy ferrying workers from a Canadian-owned mine in the country. There has been no claim for that ambush, but the modus operandi – a bomb attack on military escorts followed by gunmen unleashing bullets – was characteristic of Islamist groups.

Since 2016, the violence has killed more than 1,000 people and displaced nearly 500,000 – most of them this year.

In 2019, at least 755 people had died through October in violence involving jihadist groups across Burkina Faso, according to Reuters’ analysis of political violence events recorded by the Armed Conflict Location and Event Data Project, an NGO. Actual numbers are likely higher – researchers aren’t always able to identify who is involved in the violence.

The teacher Kone is one of many of Dicko’s former supporters who regret their earlier enthusiasm.

“We handed them the microphones in our mosques,” he said. “By the time we realised what they were up to, it was too late.”

He fled to Ouagadougou two years ago, after armed Islamists showed up at his school. More than 2,000 schools have closed due to the violence, the U.N. children’s fund UNICEF said in August.

A LOCAL CHANNEL

A lean, bespectacled Fulani from the north, Malam Dicko broadcast a message of equality and modesty. He reportedly died of an illness in late 2017, but his sermons channelled deep grievances in Burkina Faso’s north where impoverished people have long been frustrated by corrupt officials.

The province of northern Burkina Faso where Dicko lived scores 2.7 on the United Nations Human Development Index, compared with 6 for the area around the capital, Ouagadougou. About 40% of its children are stunted by malnutrition, against only 6% in the capital, according to U.S. AID.

From Ouagadougou to Djibo is a four-hour drive on a road which peters out into a sandy track. Sparse villages dot a landscape of sand and withered trees. Goats devour scrappy patches of grass.

Residents complain that their few interactions with the state tend to be predatory: Bureaucrats demand money to issue title deeds for houses, then never provide the papers; gendarmes charge up to $40 to take down a complaint; there are mysterious taxes and extortion at police roadblocks. Lieutenant Colonel Kanou Coulibaly, a military police squadron commander and head of training for Burkina Faso’s armed forces, acknowledged that northerners “feel marginalized and abandoned by the central government.”

In about 2010 preacher Dicko, who had studied in Saudi Arabia in the 1980s, began tapping this discontent, recalled Kone and other former Djibo residents. He denounced corruption by traditional religious leaders and practices that he deemed un-Islamic, including lavish wedding and naming ceremonies.

The movement he created, Ansarul Islam (Defenders of Islam), opened a path to militants from outside Burkina Faso — particularly Mali.

Early in 2013, French forces were pounding northern Mali to wrest control from al Qaeda-linked fighters who had seized the region the previous year. Dicko slipped over the border to join the militants, said Oumarou Ibrahim, a Sufi preacher who knew Dicko and was close to the No. 2 in his movement, Amadou Boly.

In Mali, Ibrahim said, Dicko linked up with Amadou Koufa, a fellow Fulani whose forces have unleashed turmoil on central Mali in recent years. French forces detained the pair near the border with Algeria; Dicko was released in 2015.

He set up his own training camp in a forest along the Mali-Burkina border, Kone, the teacher, and Ibrahim, the Sufi preacher, told Reuters.

Dicko forged ties with a group of Malian armed bandits who controlled drug and livestock trade routes.

On the radio that year, he urged youths to back him, “even at the cost of spilling blood.”

“WHITES AND COLONISERS”

For some years Burkina Faso’s President, Blaise Compaore, had managed to keep good relations with Mali’s Islamists. But in 2014, he tried to change the constitution to extend his 27-year-rule. Residents of the capital drove him from office.

Without Compaore, Burkina Faso became a target. Barely two weeks into a new presidency, in January 2016, an attack on the Splendid Hotel and a restaurant in Ouagadougou killed 30 people. It was claimed by al Qaeda-linked militants based in northern Mali.

Dicko became even more radical after that: He fell out with associates including his No. 2, Boly.

Ibrahim, the Sufi preacher, said Boly came to his house in Belhoro village in November 2016, agitated because Dicko had ordered him to raise cash to pay for AK-47 rifles and grenade launchers from Mali.

Boly refused. Dicko threatened him, Ibrahim said. Boly was either with him, “or with the whites and the colonisers.”

Two weeks later, gunmen assassinated Boly outside his Djibo home. Ibrahim said he fled his own village the next day.

The teacher Kone, whose house was down the street, said he heard the gunshots that day. A wave of killings followed. The militants assassinated civil servants, blew up security posts, executed school teachers.

One day in May 2017, Kone was running late for school when he got a phone call from a colleague. Armed men from Dicko’s movement had come and asked after him.

He shuttered the school and sped to Ouagadougou.

BOOBY TRAPS

Now headed by Dicko’s brother Jafar, Ansarul Islam was sanctioned by the United States in February 2018. None of its leaders could be reached.

It still controls much of Burkina Faso’s northern border areas but two other groups have also built a presence on the country’s borders, according to the European Council on Foreign Relations. Islamic State in the Greater Sahara dominates along the eastern frontier with Niger. And Koufa’s Macina Liberation Front, which is closely aligned to al Qaeda, is active on the western border with Mali.

These spheres of influence can be loose: Fighters for all three are believed to cooperate with each other and with bandit groups.

Their attacks – including the kidnap and killing of a Canadian citizen in January claimed by Islamic State – are becoming more brutal. In one instance in March, a Burkinabe security official told Reuters, militants stitched a bomb inside a corpse and dressed it up in an army uniform, killing two medics – a technique used by Malian fighters.

Recent attacks on churches have killed about 20 people, and a priest was kidnapped in March.

The European Union and member states have committed 8 billion euros ($9 billion) over six years to tackling poverty in the region but so far, responses from Ouagadougou and the West have been predominantly military.

The United Nations has spent a billion dollars a year since 2014 on a 15,000-strong peacekeeping force in Mali. Almost 200 members have been killed – its deadliest mission ever.

France has 4,500 troops stationed across the region. The United States has set up drone bases, held annual training exercises and sent 800 troops to the deserts of Niger. Led by France, Western powers have provided funding and training to a regional counter-terrorism force known as G5 Sahel made up of soldiers from Mali, Niger, Burkina Faso, Chad and Mauritania.

Despite all this, Islamist violence has spread to places previously untouched by it, as tensions like those that first kindled support for Dicko intensify.

“You have a solution that is absolutely militarised to a problem that is absolutely political,” said Rinaldo Depagne, West Africa project director at International Crisis Group, an independent think tank. “The security response is not addressing these problems.”

CYCLE OF ABUSE

The fact that a large number of recruits are Fulani has triggered a backlash by other ethnic groups, and those who have fled northern Burkina Faso say they had scant protection.

One woman said gunmen on motorbikes attacked her village, Biguelel, last December. The gunmen accused her family of colluding with “terrorists” simply because they were Fulani. They torched her home and shot her husband and dozens of others dead, but she escaped.

The next day the woman, Mariam Dicko, and about 40 others went to a military police post in the nearby town of Yirgou. “They said it was over now, so they couldn’t help us,” said Dicko – a common surname in the country.

Kanou, the military police commander, acknowledged that troops were sometimes not present when needed. “But when patrols are being attacked, it’s more difficult,” he added. “We have to take measures to protect ourselves.”

As Western forces rely increasingly on their Sahel partners, rights groups and residents say they sometimes overlook abuses by locals. Four witnesses described to Reuters summary executions of suspected insurgents during search operations. These included an incident in the village of Belhoro on February 3, in which security forces ordered nine men out of their homes and shot them dead, according to two women who saw the killings.

New York-based Human Rights Watch documented 19 such incidents in a report in March, during which it says 116 men and boys were captured and killed by security forces. The government said the army is committed to human rights and is investigating the allegations. “In our struggle there will necessarily be innocent victims, not because we want to, but because we are in a tough zone,” Kanou said. U.S. Ambassador Andrew Young said America takes up any “mistakes” with the government.

In November 2018, Burkinabe forces raided the village home of a lab technician at a clinic in Djibo, accusing his 60-year-old father of being a terrorist, two friends of his told Reuters.

They killed the father in front of his son.

The following week, the technician, Jibril Dicko, didn’t show up for work. His phone went dead.

Neighbours said he had gone to join the jihad.

*Courtesy: Reuters

Features

I want my husband exonerated –Esther Barinem-Kiobel

I want my husband exonerated –Esther Barinem-Kiobel

Gone down in history as one of humanity’s saddest days, November 10, 1995 remains a harbinger of ill tidings to the Ogonis, especially the families of the slain Ogoni Nine, among whom was a serving Commissioner, Dr. Barinem – Nubari Kiobel, who at the time of his execution, was one of the most learned Nigerians. His widow, Esther Barinem-Kiobel, who is in the International Court of Justice at the Hague seeking justice for her husband, relieves that painful moment in this interview

On Sunday, November 10, it will be 24 years since your husband, one of the Ogoni nine, was executed by General Sani Abacha’s regime. How have you and the family been coping?

Hmmmmmm! We live by the grace of God who has been our strength. It has not been easy living with the pains, trauma and the gruesome injustice that the execution engendered.

What exactly was your husband’s offence?

My husband’s offense was his refusal to betray his people. During an executive meeting at the Government House, Port Harcourt, they prevailed on him to betray his people and gain favour with the government and the Multinational oil firms that needed his people’s crude oil badly. Being the commissioner for commerce, Industry and Tourism, he was in a vantage position to sell his people and get all the favours, but he refused. So the authorities of the day then accused him falsely, forging charges that he, Barrister Ledum Mittee and Ken Saro- Wiwa conspired to kill the four prominent Ogonis who were having meeting at Giokoo, Gokana Local Government Area of Rivers State. The authorities raised the false allegation to get them killed for no just cause.

On the day of the incident, May 21, 1994, John Barika came and told my husband at Kpor, where he was in a community meeting with his people, of the news of the killing of the Ogoni four and that there was riot at Giokoo in Gokana Local Government Area, Rivers State. My husband decided to go to the Bori Police Station as a State Commissioner to seek for help. The Mobile Police Officers refused to go with him, but rather pleaded with him to use his position as a State Commissioner to go and calm his people down. The Late King Bagia, the Gberemene of Gokana was at Giokoo at his palace at the time my husband arrived. The King came to the Kangaroo Tribunal to testify that mu husband was in   nocent. The Mobile Police Officer who told him to go and calm his people down also came and testified in favour of my husband all to no avail.

On that fateful day, the then Governor of Rivers State, Dauda Komo, deceived my husband to go to the Naval Base   for safety under the pretext that the killers will also come after him. My husband obeyed the order only to discover, to his greatest surprise, when the case was filed that he was being charged along side others. This is a clear case of setting up my husband since he refused to betray his people.

Records have it that the Ogoni Nine were arrested and detained at the Military Barracks in Port Harcourt. What were your experiences during those detention months?

My family and I went through torture, assault, abuses, insults; detention, harassment and we were highly traumatized. The military in collaboration with Shell Petroleum Development Company (SPDC), killed and acidized my innocent husband. Like I said earlier, my husband never committed any offence.

He was innocent.

What steps have you taken to get justice for your slain husband?

We are still in court and we trust God will give us justice through the Judge handling the case.

What is your demand from the Nigerian Government which executed your husband?

I have said this before, and I will continue to say it, my demand from the Nigerian Government is to exonerate my husband killed on false charges he never committed. He was killed on false charges.

Given your experience, what would be your advice to those seeking justice?

Never, ever give up on what you stand for. Do not compromise in anyway. Some people are desperately wicked and will do anything to bring you down. Trust in God because He will always see you through in troubled times. No matter what, there is light at the end of the tunnel.

Features

Virgy Etiaba attains ‘perfect’ perfection at 77

Virgy Etiaba attains ‘perfect’ perfection at 77

For Virginia Ngozika Etiaba known by all as Dame Virgy Etiaba it is that time of the year when to reflect on life and give thanks to God, as she clocks 77 Monday, November 11, 2019.

She has every reason to thank God. Some years back she came down with Cancer and God in his mercy healed her. To show her appreciation to God, she floated the Dame Virgy Etiaba Foundation which provides a platform for succor, training, workshops and seminars for the less privileged, the widows, lepers, prisoners and whatever handicapped there is in the world. This missionary work has taken her to 40 communities and groups even outside her native Anambra such as Uyo, Akwa Ibom State.

This she has been doing since she left Government House in 2016.

Dame Virgy Etiaba sees government as a means of serving the people. This she has been doing since her days as a teacher.

Born on 11th November 1942 at Nnewi in Nnewi North Local Government Area and married to late Barrister Bennett Etiaba, Dame Virgy Etiaba had her Primary and Secondary School Education in Kano State followed by her Teacher Training Education in Gombe State. Her Educational qualifications include; National Certificate of Education from the Abraka College of Education Delta State, Bachelors Degree in Education from the University of Nigeria Nsukka as well as a certificate in Information Technology from Goldsmith College, University of London.

Dame Etiaba worked as a Headmistress and Secondary School teacher for thirty five years at different parts of the state. She retired meritoriously in 1991 and established the Bennett Etiaba Memorial School, Nnewi.

Dame Etiaba’s Political life is quite impressive and remarkable. She became the governor of Anambra State in 2006 following the impeachment of former Governor Obi. It is on record that she declined being sworn in as according to her: “The Governor is my boss and he remains my boss”. Reports had it that it took some religious leaders, elders, stakeholders as well as her party leadership to persuade her to submit herself for the swearing in as there would not be a vacuum in the governance of the state.

Mama Anambra as she is fondly called governed the state for a brief but impactful period of little above three months. Despite having a short tenure, she made remarkable achievements. She flagged off and constructed several roads. Dame Virgy signed into law during her tenure “Anambra State Child Rights Bill”. Generally, she governed the state when there was a high political turmoil especially between the PDP controlled House of Assembly and APGA led state Government. She weathered the storm and brokered peace amongst the political actors. It was in appreciation of her good governance that Ndi Anambra gave her the name “Mama Anambra”.

Talking about her legacy, former Governor Dame Virgy Etiaba said “I have always held the belief that if you are kind to history, history will be kind to you. I would want to be remembered as a public officer who served responsibly, compassionately and competently. My training and background as a teacher mandates me to show good examples at all times. So, I would want to pass on, directly or indirectly, a legacy of principled leadership, hard work, commitment to the needs of the people, respect for the feelings of the people as well as the fear of God”.

Religiously, Dame Virgy Etiaba is a devout Christian of the Anglican Church denomination. She is a knight of Saint Mary and belongs to many religious organizations. She is a member of the Christian Association of Nigerian Schools. Dame Virgie has continued to render quality services to God and humanity. Dame Virgy Etiaba authored a book entitled “My Life, My Story” where she chronicled accounts of her life journey.

Former Governor Dame Virgy Etiaba could be described as a virtuous woman due largely to her sound moral and mentoring tendencies. She has remained a good example of motherhood and a source of inspiration to the entire womanhood. God as a perfect rewarder of good deeds has blessed “Mama Anambra” in all facets of life. She has six successful children of which two of them (Emeka Etiaba SAN and Echezona Etiaba SAN) are Senior Advocates of Nigeria and others are doing pretty well in their vocations.

Features

IRT arrests General Overseer, hospital owner for removing babies from mothers’ wombs to sell

GO takes prostitute to hospital for abortion

Policemen attached to the Inspector-General of Police Special Intelligence Response Team (IRT) have smashed a syndicate which specialised in removing babies from their mothers’ wombs before maturity in order to sell them. Police are working on the theory that the syndicate, which is located in Delta State, is running a baby factory and an illegal orphanage. Some of those arrested in connection with the crime are; the General Overseer of Liberation Ministry, Pastor Sunday Chinedu, Madam Isioma Uko, the Chief Medical Director and owner of Ndu Hospital and mortuary in Delta State, Mr Adagbo Samuel aka Baba. Others are Vera Emenike aka Vivian, Monday Joy, Faith Yusuf Desmond and Friday, a panel beater.

The syndicate was busted after IRT operatives, led by a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Abba Kyari, received information on the illegal activities going in the hospital and embarked on surveillance that ran into weeks. When the policemen were sure that their information was correct, they stormed the hospital. The police said that Samuel specialised in carrying out surgeries on young girls once their pregnancies were six months old. When police stormed his hospital, they found two dead bodies in his dirty mortuary. One of the corpses was that of a pregnant young girl. Incidentally, Samuel is not a trained medical doctor, but has doctors and nurses working for him. They do whatever he orders them to do.

Police said: “The syndicate is using the hospital to engage in human trafficking and operation of illegal orphanage, otherwise known as baby factory. Police received information that Samuel has a criminal syndicate within and outside Agbor.

The Syndicate gets girls, mostly underage and pregnant. The girls would then be lured to the hospital, which has been turned into an illegal orphanage. “Samuel would reach an agreement with the girls. One of the agreements is that he would take extremely good care of them during the period of their pregnancies. After they give birth, he pays them N200, 000 and takes possession of their babies. Investigation has revealed that Samuel has a home at Ayangba in Kogi State, where he transports the children to for sale.

When police stormed the hospital, they discovered that Samuel had two bodies lying in the morgue, while all efforts made to trace families of the bodies had been futile. “The syndicate harvests babies when their young mothers are just six months gone.

Once the babies are brought out, they are put in incubators and then sold when they are nine months old. Samuel claimed that the babies were removed untimely from their mothers’ womb because the young mothers didn’t want people to know they were pregnant.”

One of the victims, who police said the syndicate harvested her baby, is Monday Joy. But Samuel explained that Joy was brought to him by a woman called Favour. Joy later told him that she was six months pregnant. Samuel said that Joy gave birth to a male child, who died after some hours. She would later return to Samuel’s hospital after she got pregnant the second time. Samuel said: “The second child, a baby girl, survived and was sold to a woman. I don’t know the woman’s whereabouts.

I never knew it was a criminal offence to sell children.” Samuel also recalled that there was a time Friday the panel beater once brought a politician identified simply as Honourable Francis, to him. The politician came with a pregnant lady, later identified as Favour. The girl later delivered a baby girl, but the new mother allegedly asked Samuel to sell the baby for her. The baby was sold for N300, 000.

Samuel recounted: “Immediately I collected the money from Francis, I gave it to Favour. She shared it into two. She took N150, 000, while she gave me N100, 000. That same day, Honourable Francis bought another six-month-old baby.

I can take police to Friday, who brought the politician. It is only through Friday that we can get to Honourable Francis. On that day, Francis, Friday came with one Igbo woman called Vivian Emenike. She’s also called Susana.

No, I’m not a medical doctor, but I am the proprietor of the clinic and maternity home. When I could no longer pay doctors and nurse, I suspended them and the patients. No, I am not a mortician. Mr Akpan is my mortician.” One of the suspects, Friday, explained how he got involved with the syndicate.

His words: “About 15 years ago, things were very tough for me and my wife was pregnant. When she went into labour, I took her to the general hospital at Agbor. My wife gave birth to a baby girl. I later told my wife that the baby died.

“Immediately we were discharged, I took the baby to Samuel and sold her for N30, 000. I didn’t know that selling my child was a crime. In 2018, Madam Vivian Emenike came to my shop to ask how she could get a baby, either boy or girl. I took her to Samuel, who sold a baby to her. I don’t know how the baby was sold and no money was given to me.” Another suspect, Isioma Uko, said: “Police arrested me for selling a child. I went to Doctor Samuel with one of my friends. We went there to adopt a baby.

We bought the baby for N600, 000. I bought two; one was sold for N600, 000 and the other for N730, 000. My friend took one, while a nurse took the second one. But I was the one who took them there. Out of the N730, 000, I took N20, 000, while out of the N600, 000 I was given N10, 000, making it a total of N30, 000. I went into this business because I wanted to help Vivian, who was childless and needed a baby.” Responding, Vivian said: “A woman, Onyeka Okon, introduced me to Samuel.

She called Baba on the telephone and   then he asked her to give the phone to me; he directed me to his house. When I got there, I asked him if he does abortion, he said yes. He asked me if I was ready to take a baby, but I told him that whatever we discussed, I would go and talk to the people who wanted to buy the baby.

“We agreed on a price and then I went to bring the lady who wanted to buy the baby. I gave the money to Baba and he handed over the baby to me. I gave the baby to the woman and we left. Some minutes after we left, the woman called, asking if the transaction was genuine, I replied yes. She said that she didn’t want a situation where there would be trouble in the future.” The General Overseer of Liberation Ministry, Sunday Chinedu, also has his own story to tell.

He said: “Police arrested me because I did business with Samuel, who we call Baba. The business involved buying of babies. I brought a girl from Edo State to Samuel. The girl is a prostitute, who got pregnant and wanted to get rid of it. The pregnancy was six months gone when she came to my church to ask if I knew where abortion could be carried out. I got to know her during my commercial motorcycling days.”

The pastor continued: “While she was talking to me and crying, a woman walked into my church. She asked why the girl was crying and I explained. She told me she would give me a man’s number, that the man was a doctor. I collected the man’s number, called him, and he directed me to his place.

When we got there, he gave her two options; either to abort the foetus or sell the baby after birth. The lady chose the second option. When the lady gave birth, the doctor called and showed me N300, 000. He took N50, 000, which he said was his share and then gave me N30, 000, while the rest of the money was given to the lady.

“Three months later, the lady brought her friend to Baba for the same solution. Yes, I’m a pastor of Liberation Ministry and I am the General Overseer.”

Features

I jumped into fire to salvage my N25m goods –Victim

I jumped into fire to salvage my N25m goods –Victim

Balogun Market on Lagos Island, known for its wide selection of colorful Nigerian and imported fabrics and school bags, was on fire on Tuesday. It was speculated that the inferno was sparked by an electrical fault. People were said to be on the roof of the burning building at the time as firefighters battled the flames with little success. ISIOMA MADIKE and OLAMIDE SOLANA, who were at the scene a day after, captured the agonies of victims, who lost hundreds of millions to the unfortunate

Tuesday, November 5, was a day many, especially traders who lost all they had laboured for for years, won’t forget in a hurry. Balogun Market on Lagos Island, known for its wide selection of colourful Nigerian and imported fabrics and school bags, was on fire on that day. According to eyewitnesses, the inferno was sparked by an electrical fault on Brasas Plaza on its fifth floor. Incidentally, people were on the roof of the burning building at the time as firefighters battled the flames with little success. Yet, the traders were thankful to God that human losses were minimal.

Our correspents, who were at the scene of the incident a day after, captured the agonies of some of the victims, who lost hundreds of millions to the unfortunate inferno. Many of them were inconsolable as they count their losses. One of such people is Peter Chima, who had a huge stock of school bags before the incident.

The   36-year-old from Anambra State lost over N25 million worth of goods. He had received a trailer load of his merchandises a day before the incident. Chima had also taken a loan from one of the new generation banks, which he used as a bait to enable him to take more goods from his suppliers. This arrangement, according to him, was facilitated by his former boss, who he said, had a robust relationship with the suppliers he had done business with for years.

He lost not only his live savings but the loan as well as the overstock taken on trust from his suppliers. Chima and some of his friends were at the fifth floor when they heard a bang at the fourth floor. When they looked down, they noticed that a huge chunk of the wall had pulled in allowing the fire to pierce through the third floor. The building was a six-floor complex.

They were trying to salvage all they could as they were throwing down the bags to no one in particular. At that time there was huge smoke that was already choking them to the point of suffocating. Their efforts were too little, too late.

Chima said: “The fire started from the building next to ours. Initially, we didn’t realise the intensity of the inferno until people started yelling at us to rush down for our safety. Most of us were on the fifth floor where we had our warehouses. But as others hurried down, the thought of losing everything I had laboured for if the fire got to where we were crossed my mind and I became confused.

“In that confusion, I begged one of my friends and a Mallam with us at the time to help me to see what we could salvage from my warehouse. But, when we noticed that the fire had entered into the building we were from both the ground and third floor, my friend and Mallam left me and found a way to escape before it engulfed the entire building. “I was left alone as I was determined   to save my goods. When the fire got to the fourth floor the shout of ‘leave your goods and save your live’ became louder.

At that point I had to jump from the top of the building where I was but unfortunately I slammed my head against the wall on the second floor and managed to roll down.

“The injury was so severe that I passed out only to be resurrected from the nearby health centre I was rushed to after some hours. The Lagos State fire service officials on ground tried but their efforts came a bit late. However, death would have been a better option, as I do not know how to approach my bankers and suppliers? I’m finished; I need help urgently.”

Like Chima, his boss, who he was an apprentice to, Sylvester, is also said to have lost over N45 million worth of goods to the fire. His wife, who reluctantly spoke with one of our reporters, identified herself simply as Amarachi, from Anambra State. She told our reporter that theirs was a family business she ran with her husband

She said: “We have been here for years selling school bags. We supply others as well as retail to our numerous customers here in Balogun and from outside the state. The incident that just happened was terrible that I don’t even know where or how to tell this sordid story. It’s a total wreck on us and it will only take His grace to find our feet again. “We were not on ground at the time but when our sales boys called on the telephone to alert us, they said the fire   was in our neighbour’s building and had not got to ours. They assured us that everything was okay as the fire might not eventually escalate to engulf other buildings. As we were contemplating on what to do, the second call came and we could hear people crying at the background.

“As they were stammering to let us know what had just happened, a neighbour’s call came through breaking the news we were not prepared to hear. He simply said: ‘Madam, tell Oga that his goods are gone; your warehouse has been burnt down’. “Immediately, my husband collapsed. But for the quick intervention of those around, the story would have been different. Since the unfortunate incident, he has not summoned the courage to come to see things for himself. As you can see, those rubbles there (pointing to the huge debris), are our goods and those of others. We had goods on the third and fourth floor with our large warehouse on the fifth floor. Ours was a monumenta loss.” However, Chima and Amarachi, were not the only ones agonising.

Former chairman, Bag Sellers Association of Nigeria, Balogun Market branch, Ignatius Akunedoziobi, also had his shop on the burnt building. Like the two traders above, Akunedoziobi claimed to have lost goods worth N15 million in the inferno.

“The estimate of what I lost here can be put at N15 million, it could be more. Until we take stock of everything I may not be able to give the exact worth of what we lost here. It’s massive. Some of us had just been advanced loan facilities to restock for Christmas, which is our usual practice here. We had hoped, like we are used to, to liquidate those loans after the coming yuletide. The estimate of our total loss here runs into several millions, some of us may never recover from this shock.

“But, our greatest fear now, is for the government not to contemplate taking over the burnt buildings as being speculated. The governor was here but we don’t know his thinking for now. We have both Igbos and Yorubas selling different kinds of wares in this market.

Our plea now is for the government to come to our aid to ameliorate our sufferings; we can’t bear it all alone,” he said with tears rolling down his cheeks. Another trader, who gave his name as Onwan Uche, from Enugu State, equally lost about N10 million worth of his merchandise. A container full of wares offloaded into his warehouse three days before the fire incident. He occupied two big shops in the second floor in the building and sold school bags as well.

His loss was minimal because he was able to salvage some of his imports with the help of some Good Samaritans. His greatest regret was the loss of a Mobile Police officer, who was helping to make sure no one was hurt.

“He died trying to protect us from dying. I have not been able to sleep since the incident as the trauma and thought of death continue to create fear in me,” Uche said. Motunrayo Adeneye, who lost her three shops filled with fabrics, told Saturday Telegraph that the fire incident might not be ordinary as, according to her, it has become one incident too many.

This is not the first time we are experiencing fire outbreak here, she said. “It happened in 2007 and 2018. It is so painful that this vicinity is always going up in flames. “I sell clothes and drinks as well. Everything I had laboured for, for   so many years was gone just within a twinkle of an eye. The only way I think the government can help us is by reconstructing the place. A friend of mine, who also sells clothes, Mrs Ademola, received her stock two days ago (Monday).

Please tell the governor and others who matter in his government to come to our aid as we can’t bear this alone. If nothing is done urgently to help us, many might die by suicide soon. Another shop owner in the burnt building, Folasayo Adebanjo, was asleep when the fire started.

“But for God I would have been dead by now as I was deep at sleep at the time the commotion started. When my friends came to drag me out of the building I didn’t realise the enormity of what was happening. I thank God it’s only my wares that I lost; with my life, I can struggle to regain my balance by God’s grace. It’s painful but what can we do? It has happened; we just have to move on from here and not allow the incident to weigh us down. The struggle continues,” Adebanjo said.

Odunayo Adedoyin, who believed the incident to be spiritual, said it should be regarded as a temporary setback. “We shall rise again as far as our God lives.

My greatest happiness is that our Igbo friends in this plaza have taught us the rudiments of struggle; they never give up and we have taken a cue from them. “The building over here (pointing to the Great Nigeria House) got burnt last year and had been abandoned till now. This plaza first got burnt two months ago but was reconstructed. I won’t be surprised if this is reconstructed also.

My only worry is that this misfortune always happens between November and December,” he said. At the scene of the fire incident on Wednesday, emergency responders were still battling to extinguish the fire as Lagos State fire officials were seen with heavy trucks trying to clear the rubble. It was gathered that the section   of the razed building that collapsed killed a Mobile Policeman.

Counting her loss, Adedoyin said the structure had been similarly gutted in the past, adding that the cause of the recent inferno was speculated to have started from a faulty generator on the third floor. “I don’t know exactly how the fire started, but some our colleagues are pointing to a faulty generator on the third floor.

How true I can’t say for now. It started around 9am and the Lagos State Fire Service, Union Bank’s firefighters and other agencies rushed in trying to extinguish it but they were not successful. One of the buildings burnt and collapsed while the second was also heavily damaged. There is fear now that it might also go down. Two years ago, the same thing happened.”

Shop owners, who were around the vicinity, were seen mobilising sympathisers to assist with the evacuation of a few unburnt goods. One of them, who craved anonymity, said that hoodlums took advantage of the inferno to loot the goods belonging to traders affected by the incident. He however, pleaded that the state government should develop a more civilised way to respond to fire emergencies faster.

“When the fire started, there was no response from the fire service; we want the government to develop a quick way of extinguishing fire. We have lost a lot as a result of this incident. Some of our goods that were salvaged were eventually stolen by hoodlums,” he said. While the fire raged, some residents, according to eyewitnesses, could be seen throwing belongings from windows, while others tried to put out the fire with small buckets of water. Firefighters also tried to contain the flames with a fire truck spraying water onto the fire. Balogun is a busy market that spans over many blocks in Nigeria’s largest city.

It is one of the country’s largest markets for colourful Nigerian fabrics and other wares. In March, at least 20 people, mostly school children, died in a similar mishap on a Lagos Island neighbourhood when a building containing a school, shops, and apartments suddenly collapsed.

Meanwhile, the Lagos State governor, Babajide Sanwo-Olu, while on a visit to the scene of the incident on Wednesday, promised that the state government would support traders whose means of livelihood were destroyed in the incident. Although there was minimal human casualty in the fire incident, scores of clothing shops in the building were burnt down and traders lost goods worth millions of naira. Besides, he said, the government would be conducting integrity test on all buildings in the Central Business District on the Lagos Island, adding that his administration would re-visit the regeneration master plan already designed by previous administrations. He urged all families that own properties on the Lagos Island to support the move.

Also speaking on the fire incident, the Speaker of the House of Representatives, Femi Gbajabiamila, sympathised with traders and shop owners at the popular Balogun Market, over the fire outbreak that occurred a few day ago.

The Speaker said the fire incident, which affected two-storey buildings at No. 43 and 45 Martins Street, in the market where properties worth millions of naira were lost, were unfortunate. In a statement by his Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Lanre Lasisi, the Speaker said it was painful that traders and shop owners, who were carrying out their lawful businesses, would wake up only to face such an incident. He called on relevant authorities to take measures that would forestall a recurrence of such an incident.

Features

One Chance thieves who robbed us had PoS machine –Victim

One Chance thieves who robbed us had PoS machine –Victim

In Lagos, carpooling is now a very common mode of transportation, especially for people who do whitecollar jobs. Many people rely on ridesharing (as it is also called) as their preferred option when commuting within the metropolis. They join car owners who are going towards their place of work in the morning at a fare and at the close of work, they do same to get back home.

This mode of transportation which is also very common in the Nation’s capital, Abuja, usually comes at relatively cheaper fare when compared to public buses (also called Danfo), they are more comfortable, and it gets them to their destinations much faster.

“I would rather go in private cars because they are usually more comfortable than buses. Sometimes, you are lucky and find a car has a functional AC and it doesn’t change the price of the fare. Since I started working in Lagos, I’d have taken between 40 to 50 trips with private car owners and it has been very peaceful. There are times when I make friends with other passengers and we become good friends afterwards,” said Ose.

However, it is not always a tale of peace and tranquility when engaging in ride sharing. As with public transportation, commuting in private cars also comes with great danger. Criminallyminded people have exploited carpooling to carry out heinous crimes.

There have been cases where unsuspecting riders and drivers have been dispossessed of their belongings by people who pose as drivers. Like every other weekday, Mr. Samuel Adegoke had set out of his house in the Egbeda area of Lagos on a Wednesday about 5:30am to get to his office at Lekki. It wasn’t dawn yet but Adegoke prefers to leave home very early in order to beat the traffic in the city.

He had always preferred to share rides with car owners whenever he was going to work or returning home. According to him, it comes cheaper, and he gets to work earlier too. On the said day, he took a Toyota Sienna Bus from Egbeda to Victoria Island for an agreed fare of N200.

The same trip would have cost at least N300 if he were to board a Danfo. He needed to save money and he also had to get to work early and boarding a Danfo wouldn’t have helped him achieve that. On the bus were four other ‘passengers’ who were corporately dressed as though they were also heading to their respective places of work – but they were a gang of robbers. The air-condition of the vehicle, he recalled, was chilling and the windows – all tinted – were wound up.

There was nothing to suspect because it wasn’t his first time. According to him, he had barely finished his three-minute prayer in the car when the trouble started.

“All of them were fresh and clean. They wore shirts and tie. Some even had bags with them. You wouldn’t have known that they were robbers. They all looked like passengers that were also heading to their offices,” he said. “I was sitting in the middle of two guys. We hadn’t even covered up to a kilometer when one of them demanded my bag. I was confused.

I didn’t know what was going on. Then another person asked, ‘Where’s your wallet!” I was determined to fight through, but they subdued me. The two guys beside me pinned my hand down.

Before I knew was going on, they pulled out guns. That was when I knew that they meant business. They beat the hell out of me, and the vehicle was still in motion,” he added. As he recounted his ordeal, it was a tale of horror. He was putting on a very dark pair of glasses. His eyes were black and battered in a very bad shape.

“Be very careful when you need to enter a private car. Some of them are One Chance. If the glass is tinted, please don’t enter,” he cautioned this reporter. Adegoke’s experience was terrifying. He lost his laptop, phones, wedding and other valuables to the attack. “Those guys had no compassion in them. They kept hitting me with the butt of their guns on every part of my body.

The only thing I was saying was ‘Please don’t kill me.’ They had a POS Machine with them and cleaned out everything I had in my all my accounts; everything I’ve laboured for.

They had a field day on me,” he lamented. At the time the ‘passengers’ were done with him and wanted to release him, they rubbed Aboniki Balm in his eyes and dumped him at the road side. Save for providence, Mr. Adegoke would have lost his sight or his life; or both. He didn’t get to work on the said day and couldn’t go until after a week. He sought immediate help from an optician who helped save his sight. The passengers are not the only ones exposed to the dangers of carpooling.

Car owners are also at risk of picking up criminals who pose as passengers. Saturday Telegraph gathered that there are passengers who board private cars and go away with the driver’s phones or other valuables when alighting from the vehicle.

It was also learnt that motorists use their vehicle for commercial purposes in order to augment the fuel cost for the daily trips. A motorist who spoke to our correspondent and identified himself as Adetokunbo Fatokun Ishola disclosed that he had been in the business for nearly 15 years.

“My office is at Anthony but most times, I go to the Island for field work. So, I pick people who are going towards my direction for a cheap fare. I usually use the money I make to buy fuel, airtime and pay at the toll gate,” the Electrical Engineer who drives a Ford Ranger said. In his 15 years of carpooling, Ishola has never experienced any bad incident. According to him, he is always very vigilant and tries to assess the prospective passenger before pulling over for them.

“I look at people and how they are dressed before I can decide to stop. If they look suspicious, I won’t stop. There are passengers who even forget their phones or other belongings in my car and I return same to them,” he added.

In Nigeria, it is illegal for vehicles registered as private cars to be used for commercial purposes without obtaining the necessary documents, our correspondent gathered. According to a traffic official who spoke to our correspondent on the condition of anonymity, motorists are to obtain Hackney Permits before their vehicles can be used to pick passengers. He said: “Private cars are now competing with public buses and people prefer to board them because of the comfort.

However, many commuters are oblivious of the risks that come with it.

The commercial buses have Hackney Permits before they can operate on the roads but most of these private cars that you see here don’t have. How many of them can we apprehend?” Speaking further, the government official added: “Whenever there is a security incident in a public bus, we can easily trace them, but it may not be so easy with private cars, just because of the lack of Hackney Permit. It is not even enough to have a Hackney Permit; it must be displayed on your windscreen.

If you don’t have a Permit, the fine is N30,000. If you have but you don’t display it, the fine is also the same.

Features

Okorocha’s govt destroyed rice production in Imo –Ohia

Okorocha’s govt destroyed rice production in Imo –Ohia

Dr. Uche Ohia is a lawyer, writer, historian and a prominent commercial farmer in the Ideato North rice belt area of Imo state. In this interview with STEVE UZOECHI in Owerri, he laments a decade of losses by farmers in Imo state. He holds back nothing as he conveys the true state of rice farming and agriculture in the state. Excerpts:

What are your views on farming?

There is no enterprise more ennobling than farming and agriculture in its full bloom. I love the peculiar kind of challenge and fulfillment farming brings with it – the task of ground breaking; the hope and expectations of seed time and of course, the joy of harvest – needless to mention the fact that farmers contribute to the food security of our immediate community and country. The values and principles that guide farming could make a man. To say the least, I love what I do.

What is the state of farming in Imo state?

There is no better way to say this, but there was almost no agriculture in Imo state for nearly one decade. The Okorocha Administration practically turned its back on farmers in Imo State generally and rice farmers particularly. First, there was no agricultural policy. There was no direction. Like everything else associated with that administration, it was the whims and caprices of the Chief Executive that determined what was said or done. Farmers made no input.

But there was a Ministry of Agriculture in Imo under Okorocha…?

(Cuts in) Yes there was but the questions are: what was their priorities and focus? Were they keen on increasing productivity in agricultural produce or in enhancing the capacity of the farmer?

Under the circumstance whatever the administration tried to do or pretended to do in agriculture was salutary and aimed at playing to the gallery. A government that failed to pay any counterpart fund – not to the Bank of Industry, not to the Bank of Agriculture, not to any international development agency – how can such a government make any positive impact on agriculture? How could it positively affect the life of farmers or boost productivity?

Clearly, because they could not control any of the available funding for agriculture or determine who gets what and how, they declined from fulfilling the obligations of the state government to banks and development agencies that assist farmers thus leaving Imo farmers in the lurch.

What about the stories of fertilizer subsidy and ‘Imo Rice’?

“The stories of fertilizer subsidy and the so-called ‘Imo rice’ were clearly farcical. Shamelessly, that administration imported rice from outside Imo state and subjected Imo State to public ridicule by naming their imported stuff ‘Imo Rice’ in a state that has been producing rice on a commercial scale for over 100 years.

Yes, fertilizer subsidy was a farce. The last administration cared nothing and was evidently not interested in supporting any form of farming or agricultural enterprise. Those of us that are commercial farmers that persevered lost a fortune. All Okorocha was interested in was land to acquire for his own personal interests and development, no more no less. To say the least, the Okorocha administration was a disaster as far as agriculture was concerned.

What about rice farming, with all the emphasis on local production?

The tale of rice farmers in Imo state  between 2011 and May 2019 was a tale of woes. The Rochas Okorocha administration practically killed rice farming. More than 90% of rice farming land in the rice belt of Imo State spread across Ideato North, Ihitte Uboma and Ehime Mbano are now locked up meaning that they have been taken over by bush. And this is largely due to the eight years of inactivity under the last administration.

What is the implication for your people in Ideato North?

The immediate implication is that over 100,000 hectares of natural swamp rice land is locked in, and in disuse in Arondizuogu, Ideato North council area alone, with heavy overgrowths. As it stands presently, we require heavy earth moving equipment to be able to clear the farmlands at this stage.

And the story may be same with Ihitte-Uboma and Ehime Mbano rice belts?

It could be worse, maybe. Ihitte Uboma used to be a major source of rice paddies. They were abandoned and did not have one single rice mill for a long time. And that is a major rice producing territory with ample rice lands. In fact, as I speak to you, Imo State does not have one single modern rice processing facility – not in Ihitte Uboma, not in Arondizuogu and definitely not in Ehime Mbano.

The mills we use to process rice in Imo state can only be seen in museums in Europe and Asia. It is that bad.

What are your expectations from the new government?

We are looking forward to an interface between farmers and government so that we can make our own inputs which, coming from those practically involved in the field in various agricultural value chains, will enable the state government to integrate theory and practice in its policy formulation and implementation.

In any country that has made a success of agriculture, one underlying factor is government subvention. Government must support farmers to enhance productivity so that food security can be achieved. Imo farmers are lagging behind in several indices because the agricultural revolution which the Federal Government has been fuelling and funding is yet to take place in Imo State. The present administration seems to appear committed to making it happen.

In clear terms, what do Imo farmers need?

We need agricultural subsidies: we need improved seedlings, we need fertilizers, we need farming equipment, we need herbicides, we need processing equipment, we need working capital, we need government assistance in marketing our products, we need access roads to our farms. Above all, we need water – water to drink and water for all-year-round farming.

In the entire rice producing belt in Arondizuogu, in Ideato North council area, there is not one borehole. There is not one irrigation system.

Can you imagine that we crop rice only once a year in Imo State? How do we crop rice three times a year without water, without irrigation, without any device for ensuring all year round water supply to our farms?

We expect much from the Ihedioha administration but first we need government to come and help us to unlock our farms overtaken by bushes and bulrushes.

To think that we could not receive common agro-extension services from the previous administration is an indication of what the Imo farmer went through under the Okorocha administration.

What about the ADP which handled extension services?

Imo ADP used to be our partner in progress but a mere visit to ADP in the last dispensation would leave anyone in no doubt about how handicapped they had become.

The place looked desolate and it was obvious that they were underfunded. They were practically grounded. I never saw one extension officer for all those years

No extension officer for eight years?

That’s right! It was only at the recent unveiling of Governor Emeka Ihedioha’s Agricultural Roadmap that I saw a semblance of the ADP of old with extension officers and engineers milling around and answering questions.

Parting words

The present administration has done well by unveiling a roadmap for agriculture. At least, now there is a draft policy, there is an articulated direction. We can see where the government is going. Even though farmers are yet to make an input into the document, we are satisfied that at least; government for the first time in a long time has farmers and citizens involved in agribusiness in its radar. It’s a good place to start.

Unlike the previous governor, who because he could not control any of the available funding for agriculture or determine who gets what and how, he declined from fulfilling the obligations of the state government to banks and development agencies that assist farmers thus leaving Imo farmers in the lurch.

Features

Leadership tussle: Monarch, PG deny receiving N1m bribe

The leadership tussle over Amiyi Community , Ogbaru Local Government Area, Anambra State , got messier  Thursday, with allegations and counter allegations over an alleged  N1 million bribe  given to the Special Adviser  to the Governor on Chieftaincy Affairs  and Town Unions, Vera Okonkwo, in order to swing the election in favour of a candidate.

A factional President – General of the community, Comrade Chike Ugboma had alleged that the Traditional Ruler and the current President – General of the community offered the said bribe to be returned as president.

According to a release signed by the Traditional Ruler, Igwe Emmanuel Mbanefo and the President General – Prince Nwanze Afubera, the duo said: “It is also a blatant falsehood that the Special Adviser to the Governor on Chieftaincy and Town Union demanded and collected bribe of One Million Naira from Prince Afubera Nwanze Emmaunel for the said election. That publication is simply to blackmail this innocent, impeccable, honest and God fearing woman of high repute.

“Amiyi Community is peaceful as people go about their normal businesses. The people of Amiyi are very happy with the present executive committee that has put smiles on their faces.

“ I Prince Afubera Nwanze Emmanuel, the incumbent President –  General of Amiyi Town Union bluntly denied the false allegation made against my person of giving the sum of One Million Naira as an inducement to the Special Adviser to Governor on Chieftaincy and Town Unions (Barr Mrs. Veraqueen Okonkwo) for Amiyi Town Union election monitored by her office.

“The allegation of Mr. Chike Ugboma against Mrs. Veraqueen Okonkwo) and me is false, malicious, baseless and meant to tarnish our image.”

Afubera noted further:  “I am resident in my community and an honest farmer, so people who spent all their lives in the city without knowing what happens in our community should stop creating crisis where there is none.

“The Election of June 24, 2019, was the most credible and freest election ever conducted in Amiyi. On that day, Amiyi people trooped out en mass and voted for the workaholic President- General and his executives for the various laudable projects they have executed. Namely: Building of  Amiyi Town Hall, New Ultra Modern Market with thirty open shops, Forty Two lock up shops with toilets and borehole with two overhead Tanks”.

“The Amiyi Town Election was conducted on the 24 June, 2019 at Amiyi Town hall and not on 29 June at Amiyi Primary School.

There is only one Town Union Executive led by Prince Nwanze Afubera Emmanuel. There is no parallel Town Union Government in Amiyi. My Community is intact and peaceful. There is no division among the youths. There are equally no plans to set the Community ablaze,” he averred.