Connect with us

     

News

Benue: Igbo traders in Gboko lament continuous kidnappings

Published

on

Benue: Igbo traders in Gboko lament continuous kidnappings

Igbo business men and women living in Gboko Local Government Area of Benue State have cried out to security agencies to come to their aid over what they described as the continued kidnap of their members in the area.

 

Gboko town is the traditional headquarters of the Tiv people where the palace of the Tor Tiv Professor James Ayatse is located. Recently, the town had been in the news with criminal activities on the increase notably from the build up to the 2019 general elections.

 

The Tiv monarch, His Royal Majesty Professor James Ayatse had raised concern over insecurity in Gboko when a member of the Police Service Commission (PSC) representing North central, Barr. Rommy Mom paid a courtesy visit on Tor Tiv.

 

The monarch observed that some policemen have served in Gboko town for more than 20 years and had become too familiar with criminals. Sunday Telegraph learnt that the wave of kidnappings continued unabated while only wealthy Igbo business men and women in the town have become the targets of the hoodlums.

 

According to reports, the Igbos in Gboko are now living in fears some are relocating to other towns for fear the unknown. Speaking exclusively to Sunday Telegraph, the spokesman for the Igbo community in Gboko, Chief Chukwu Okafor said many of his kinsmen have been kidnapped.

 

“The kidnappers are targeting only Igbo business men, whom they believed are wealthy; and security operatives in the area are helpless as they have not been able to arrest any suspected kidnapper,” Chief Okafor said.

 

According to the Igbo Chief, victims have been paying ransom to secure their release, with a warning that they would be killed if they report to police. He also said about 13 members of Igbo community in Gboko have been kidnapped from 2018 to date. Chief Okafor, however, expressed concern that recently, there are increasing cases where relations of kidnap victims paid ransom but the victims not released.

 

The latest kidnap victim, Aniegbu Chukwuka Kenneth, Sunday Telegraph learnt he was kidnapped on his way home on February 4, 2019 and that after he paid a ransom he was still held in captivity.

 

He named one Onyeka as one of the victims who was kidnapped on November 19, 2018. One Ugochukwu Ikegwuonu said he was first kidnapped on February 5, 2015 and later on the December 17, 2018, while Chief Celestine Agbo was kidnapped on the August 28, 2018. Sunday Telegraph learnt further that Lolo Esther Nwoke was kidnapped on the March 18, 2019, Cajetan Anya Ugochukwu on October 8 2018, Ifeanyi Ikegwuonu on October 28, 2017, Romanus Mouma kidnapped on the May 13, 2019 and Oluchukwu Orah (AKA) Orlando kidnapped on the May 13, 2019

Advertisements
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News

Account for the $1bn ECA security fund, PDP tells Buhari

Published

on

Account for the $1bn ECA security fund, PDP tells Buhari

The Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) has called on President Muhammad Buhari to account for the $1billion drawn from the Excess Crude Account (ECA) in 2017 for security.

The party said this became necessary following the revelation by the National Security Adviser (NSA), Gen. Babagana Mongunu (rtd), that he is not aware of the whereabouts or disbursement of the fund.

PDP in a statement yesterday by its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan that the revelation of the NSA, who coordinates the security architecture of the country, places a huge burden on President Buhari to tell Nigerians what happened to the money.

 

“The revelation by NSA further vindicates the PDP on our initial alarm that the All Progressives Congress (APC)-led administration is overtly corrupt, deceptive and unreliable in the handling the affairs of our nation.

“It further validates the stance of the PDP that agents of the Buhari presidency and the APC were hiding under the guise of security to siphon the $1billion from the ECA.

“This, perhaps, informed the desperation by the cabal to draw from the account without recourse to statutory due process of appropriation by the National Assembly,” the party noted.

It added that from Mongunu’s revelation, Nigerians could see why the nation was daily confronted with disturbing videos and reports of fighting troops protesting their neglect and inadequate equipping, leading to their vulnerability in the fronts.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Four Turkish nationals kidnapped in Kwara

Published

on

Four Turkish nationals kidnapped in Kwara

Four Turkish nationals have been abducted in western Nigeria, local police have told the BBC.

The four, who are construction workers, were kidnapped by gunmen at a bar in Kwara State on Saturday night.

An operation to try to rescue them is under way. No group has said it carried out the abductions.

Last week pirates attacked a cargo ship off the coast of Nigeria and kidnapped 10 Turkish sailors. Their fate remains unknown.

Kidnapping for ransom is common in Nigeria, with foreigners and high-profile Nigerians frequently targeted.

In April, a prominent politician and his daughter were abducted on a highway in Kaduna State. They were released after ransom was paid.

In the same month two kidnappings targeted foreigners. In the Niger Delta region, gunmen kidnapped two senior Shell workers and killed their police guards. A British woman was shot dead in Kaduna when armed men stormed a holiday resort. They killed one other person and kidnapped three during the attack.

 

In January last year, two Americans and two Canadian citizens were abducted while travelling from the town of Kafanchan in Kaduna state to the capital Abuja. Two of their police escorts were killed.

 

The four kidnap victims were later freed unharmed in a joint military and police operation.

 

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Gambari to Buhari: Don’t ignore agitations from different sections

Published

on

Gambari to Buhari: Don’t ignore agitations from different sections

…says dialogue way forward

Nigeria’s former Permanent Representative to the United Nations (UN), Prof. Ibrahim Gambari, has warned the Federal Government against ignoring agitations from different sections of the country and groups, saying  the development was an indication that all was not well.

Gambari, who called for dialogue among agitating interests, maintained that the survival of the “Nation-State” depended largely on conflict management and unwavering commitment to building peace.

The former UN Permanent Representative and Chairman, Savannah Centre for Diplomacy, Democracy and Development, who made the position at an event in Abuja over the weekend, said the importance of building and sustaining peace in the polity, could never be overemphasised, especially in the face of the nation’s multi-ethnic configuration.

Among other prominent voices, who had called for dialogue as a way out of the tension that has literally enveloped the polity, were former President Olusegun Obasanjo, as well as ex-Commonwealth Secretary-General, Chief Emeka Anyaoku.

They contend that a national dialogue was urgently needed to address concerns of restructuring by the Yoruba socio-cultural group, Afenifere, secession by pro-Buafra groups, resource control by Niger Delta activists among others.

There are also concerns that the agitations and the perceived inaction by the government, may have worsened the issue of mutual distrust among ethnic nations, hence the compelling need for dialogue.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

Published

on

By

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

…arrest informants

Emmanuel Onani, Abuja

There are indications that special forces from the military and intelligence services, may have sighted the location where some abducted aid workers were being held.

It will be recalled that suspected terrorist elements had attacked the convoy of staff of Action Against Hunger (AAH) last Thursday at Damasak, headquarters of the Mobbar Local Government Area of Borno State.

The aid workers were said to be on their way to provide humanitarian assistance to some crisis-ridden communities when they were abducted.

According to reports, some of the missing staff, who were being conveyed in a vehicle with registration No MAG 981 AA, are: Grace Taku, Ali Kayiri, Ali A Mustapha, Ali Gaya, Mallam Nuhu and Mohammed Abba Gana.

The incident was said to have happened at Zari village, less than 20 kilometres from Damasak town.

However, apart from identifying the location where the suspected fighting may be holding their captives, some persons suspected to be informants, have been arrested.

An intelligence operative told PRNigeria that the operation of the special force was being coordinated by the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division, Maj.-Gen. Bulama Biu.

Quoting a source, the platform said: “The special force was able to detect the location of the humanitarian aid workers after some arrests were made.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

Published

on

By

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

…arrest informants

Emmanuel Onani, Abuja

There are indications that special forces from the military and intelligence services, may have sighted the location where some abducted aid workers were being held.

It will be recalled that suspected terrorist elements had attacked the convoy of staff of Action Against Hunger (AAH) last Thursday at Damasak, headquarters of the Mobbar Local Government Area of Borno State.

The aid workers were said to be on their way to provide humanitarian assistance to some crisis-ridden communities when they were abducted.

According to reports, some of the missing staff, who were being conveyed in a vehicle with registration No MAG 981 AA, are: Grace Taku, Ali Kayiri, Ali A Mustapha, Ali Gaya, Mallam Nuhu and Mohammed Abba Gana.

The incident was said to have happened at Zari village, less than 20 kilometres from Damasak town.

However, apart from identifying the location where the suspected fighting may be holding their captives, some persons suspected to be informants, have been arrested.

An intelligence operative told PRNigeria that the operation of the special force was being coordinated by the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division, Maj.-Gen. Bulama Biu.

Quoting a source, the platform said: “The special force was able to detect the location of the humanitarian aid workers after some arrests were made.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

Published

on

By

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

…arrest informants

Emmanuel Onani, Abuja

There are indications that special forces from the military and intelligence services, may have sighted the location where some abducted aid workers were being held.

It will be recalled that suspected terrorist elements had attacked the convoy of staff of Action Against Hunger (AAH) last Thursday at Damasak, headquarters of the Mobbar Local Government Area of Borno State.

The aid workers were said to be on their way to provide humanitarian assistance to some crisis-ridden communities when they were abducted.

According to reports, some of the missing staff, who were being conveyed in a vehicle with registration No MAG 981 AA, are: Grace Taku, Ali Kayiri, Ali A Mustapha, Ali Gaya, Mallam Nuhu and Mohammed Abba Gana.

The incident was said to have happened at Zari village, less than 20 kilometres from Damasak town.

However, apart from identifying the location where the suspected fighting may be holding their captives, some persons suspected to be informants, have been arrested.

An intelligence operative told PRNigeria that the operation of the special force was being coordinated by the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division, Maj.-Gen. Bulama Biu.

Quoting a source, the platform said: “The special force was able to detect the location of the humanitarian aid workers after some arrests were made.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

Published

on

By

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

…arrest informants

Emmanuel Onani, Abuja

There are indications that special forces from the military and intelligence services, may have sighted the location where some abducted aid workers were being held.

It will be recalled that suspected terrorist elements had attacked the convoy of staff of Action Against Hunger (AAH) last Thursday at Damasak, headquarters of the Mobbar Local Government Area of Borno State.

The aid workers were said to be on their way to provide humanitarian assistance to some crisis-ridden communities when they were abducted.

According to reports, some of the missing staff, who were being conveyed in a vehicle with registration No MAG 981 AA, are: Grace Taku, Ali Kayiri, Ali A Mustapha, Ali Gaya, Mallam Nuhu and Mohammed Abba Gana.

The incident was said to have happened at Zari village, less than 20 kilometres from Damasak town.

However, apart from identifying the location where the suspected fighting may be holding their captives, some persons suspected to be informants, have been arrested.

An intelligence operative told PRNigeria that the operation of the special force was being coordinated by the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division, Maj.-Gen. Bulama Biu.

Quoting a source, the platform said: “The special force was able to detect the location of the humanitarian aid workers after some arrests were made.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

Published

on

By

Special forces discover location of abducted Borno aid workers – Report

…arrest informants

Emmanuel Onani, Abuja

There are indications that special forces from the military and intelligence services, may have sighted the location where some abducted aid workers were being held.

It will be recalled that suspected terrorist elements had attacked the convoy of staff of Action Against Hunger (AAH) last Thursday at Damasak, headquarters of the Mobbar Local Government Area of Borno State.

The aid workers were said to be on their way to provide humanitarian assistance to some crisis-ridden communities when they were abducted.

According to reports, some of the missing staff, who were being conveyed in a vehicle with registration No MAG 981 AA, are: Grace Taku, Ali Kayiri, Ali A Mustapha, Ali Gaya, Mallam Nuhu and Mohammed Abba Gana.

The incident was said to have happened at Zari village, less than 20 kilometres from Damasak town.

However, apart from identifying the location where the suspected fighting may be holding their captives, some persons suspected to be informants, have been arrested.

An intelligence operative told PRNigeria that the operation of the special force was being coordinated by the General Officer Commanding (GOC), 7 Division, Maj.-Gen. Bulama Biu.

Quoting a source, the platform said: “The special force was able to detect the location of the humanitarian aid workers after some arrests were made.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Four Turkish nationals abducted in Kwara

Published

on

By

Four Turkish nationals abducted in Kwara

Four Turkish nationals have been abducted in western Nigeria, local police have told the BBC.
The four, who are construction workers, were kidnapped by gunmen at a bar in Kwara State on Saturday night.
An operation to try to rescue them is under way. No group has said it carried out the abductions.
Last week pirates attacked a cargo ship off the coast of Nigeria and kidnapped 10 Turkish sailors. Their fate remains unknown.
Kidnapping for ransom is common in Nigeria, with foreigners and high-profile Nigerians frequently targeted.
In April, a prominent politician and his daughter were abducted on a highway in Kaduna State. They were released after ransom was paid.
In the same month two kidnappings targeted foreigners. In the Niger Delta region, gunmen kidnapped two senior Shell workers and killed their police guards. A British woman was shot dead in Kaduna when armed men stormed a holiday resort. They killed one other person and kidnapped three during the attack.
In January last year, two Americans and two Canadian citizens were abducted while travelling from the town of Kafanchan in Kaduna state to the capital Abuja. Two of their police escorts were killed.
The four kidnap victims were later freed unharmed in a joint military and police operation.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

News

Four Turkish nationals abducted in Kwara

Published

on

By

Four Turkish nationals abducted in Kwara

Four Turkish nationals have been abducted in western Nigeria, local police have told the BBC.
The four, who are construction workers, were kidnapped by gunmen at a bar in Kwara State on Saturday night.
An operation to try to rescue them is under way. No group has said it carried out the abductions.
Last week pirates attacked a cargo ship off the coast of Nigeria and kidnapped 10 Turkish sailors. Their fate remains unknown.
Kidnapping for ransom is common in Nigeria, with foreigners and high-profile Nigerians frequently targeted.
In April, a prominent politician and his daughter were abducted on a highway in Kaduna State. They were released after ransom was paid.
In the same month two kidnappings targeted foreigners. In the Niger Delta region, gunmen kidnapped two senior Shell workers and killed their police guards. A British woman was shot dead in Kaduna when armed men stormed a holiday resort. They killed one other person and kidnapped three during the attack.
In January last year, two Americans and two Canadian citizens were abducted while travelling from the town of Kafanchan in Kaduna state to the capital Abuja. Two of their police escorts were killed.
The four kidnap victims were later freed unharmed in a joint military and police operation.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Categories

Facebook

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call: Mobile Phone:+234 805 0498 544. Online Editor: Tunde Sulaiman Mobile Phone: 0805 0498 544; Email: tunsul2@gmail.com. Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: