Business

Deaths in the kitchen

Deaths in the kitchen
  • How ambiquity in gas cylinders’ expiry date put lives of millions in danger

The integrity of more cylinders and bottles of Liquefied Petroluem Gas (LPG) also known as cooking gas in circulation is doubtful. Adeola Yusuf reports

“Friends, the cooking gas bottle has no place indoors and when its integrity is doubtful, it shouldn’t be used at all,” Joseph Obari, a Port Harcourt-based lawyer declared in a tone laced with anguish.
Obari had just lost a close ally, Ijeoma Queen, to a gas cylinder explosion in Lagos and he appeared unable to hold back tears, as he relayed the bitter experience.
“I received the rudest shock tonight of the passing of a friend and my foremost communications mentor, Ijeoma Queen, from injuries sustained in a cooking gas explosion in Lagos. I never met anyone so eager to learn and determined to improve herself,” he said.
“Ijeoma, the pain, what crushing sorrow, dreams so abruptly ended. Oh! The pains; the struggle to hang on to life!” Obari wrote.
To him, the cooking gas bottle has no place indoors and when it’s integrity is doubtful, it shouldn’t be used at all.
Like Ijeoma, hundreds of Nigerians have met their untimely death due to lack of integrity of gas cylinders in their kitchen. Those who abstained from the use of cooking gas due to corresponding risks are, however, not also spared from gruesome death and poor health.

Deaths from all ends
While the use of gas cylinders portends danger to users, the use of fossil fuel is also of greater risk.
Seventy-nine thousand deaths were, as at the last count, recorded yearly due to the adoption of firewood and other unsafe fuels for household cooking.
Even with these health risks and harvest of deaths, the best option remains the use of cooking gas. What government needs to work harder on is the integrity of the cylinders.

If your cylinder is expired, this is how to know
Do you know that there is an expiry date (physical life) for LPG cylinders? Expired cylinders are not safe for use and can cause lethal accidents and deaths.
This according to a report by Indian science journal, is how you can check the expiry date of LPG cylinders:
On one of three side stems of the cylinder, the expiry date is coded alpha numerically, which starts with A, B, C or D followed by a two digit number. e.g. D06.
“The alphabets stand for quarters -A for March (First Qtr),B for June (Second Qtr),C for September (Third Qtr),D for December (Fourth Qtr).
“The digits stand for the year till it is valid. Hence D-06 would mean December quarter of 2006,” the report stated.
“So next time your delivery boy comes with a re-fill cylinder, make sure you check the expiry date.”
Many local LPG re-fillers, the report stated, even conceal the date, usually by pasting some sticker over it.
“So please be extra careful while checking if you get a cylinder post expiry date, please return it immediately, they are highly prone to leaking or bursting causing serious injuries and can even take life,” the study added.
Although finding the expiry date is not hard at all if you know the trick, an average common man would almost never be able to decipher it.
The question begging for answer is, is it difficult for the LPG companies to write something like “exp: Dec-2006” instead of such an alien code. Or may be they too want to conceal it?”

Government is aware of danger
Government is aware of the huge number of substandard and expired cooking fast in circulation. And, it has come up with a policy to help stop this including the waste on importation of gas cylinders into the country.
The policy announced by former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, would particularly strip individuals of ownership of gas cylinders. It is intended to reduce number of sub-standard and/or expired gas cylinders in circulation across the country.
Speaking at a stakeholders’ forum on LPG penetration in Abuja, the former Minister of State for Petroleum Resources, Dr. Ibe Kachikwu, said the new policy would require that the ownership of the cylinders rests strictly with the dealers and distributors. He added that this was part of the strategy to deepen the penetration of LPG, also known as cooking gas, and address issues of safety.
Kachikwu said that the Federal Government had reached an agreement with two original cylinder manufacturers to deliver 600,000 cylinders to LPG distributors on credit, with a repayment period of 18 months.
He maintained that the Federal Government would in the next couple of days commence the clampdown on illegal roadside LPG dealers, while he directed all skid operators of LPG to immediately convert their outlets to micro distribution centres before the enforcement begins.
Represented by his Senior Technical Assistant, Brenda Ataga, Kachikwu said: “The MDCs will essentially create and introduce into the market what we call the cylinder exchange programme, whereby the cylinders are owned by the distributors.
“There is no need for you to decant for anybody that comes in, and that eliminates illegal risks as well,” he said.
“You would fill them at the refill plants that would be tied to you and exchange it with your customers because you know your customers already.
“Your customers pay for only the content, while you own the cylinders and control the management of those cylinders.
“It is for us to be able to, at any point in time, discern and discover cylinders that are bad, cylinders that need recertification and cylinders that need to be removed from circulation.
“We put that onus on distributors going forward, to support the safe and standard method of selling LPG.
“I tell you today that Nigeria is the only country in West Africa that does not practice the re-circulation model.
“Everyone has moved away from this because, again, most of the population cannot afford cylinders. So, you have to remove that cost from them.”

Private sector’s intervention
Downstream indigenous firm, Techno Oil Limited has perked up plots by the Federal Government to end $15 million annual waste on gas cylinders’ imports into the country.
The company has invested multi-million dollars in the construction of the only functioning gas cylinders plant in Nigeria. Vice President, Yemi Osinbajo, commissioned the five million per annum capacity cylinder plant in Lagos last weekend.
The Executive Vice-Chairman of the company, Mrs Nkechi Obi, said in a statement that Techno embarked on this huge investment to address 79,000 deaths recorded yearly due to the adoption of firewood and other unsafe fuels for household cooking.
“It is a mission to save women from preventable deaths and diseases,” she declared.
“Techno Oil limited is a major player in the downstream sector of the Petroleum industry. The company is making huge investments in the Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) sub-sector to safe lives of thousands of women and to save the country a foreign exchange of over $15 million annual spend on importation of gas cylinders.”
The first task, according to Obi, was to establish the Techno Oil Cooksafe Initiative, an Advocacy program geared towards educating women on the dangers of cooking with fossils fuels; over a five years period, Techno Oil has distributed more than 8,000 LPG cylinders to indigent families across the country
“Further studies showed that there are more issues that needs to be addressed-affordability, accessibility and Availability,” she explained.
“Therefore necessitating huge investment in the LPG value chain, through the establishment of the only functional LPG cylinder manufacturing plant in Nigeria with annual capacity of 5 million units of cylinders.
“And investments in LPG storage Terminal in Lagos and digital gas bottling plants across Techno Oil filling stations and partnership with DPR licensed Gas Plants.”
Speaking on the benefits of the Techno Oil Cylinder Manufacturing Plant, Obi said: “The plant will deepen LPG penetration/consumption in Nigeria as well as create employment opportunities.
“It is estimated that more than 5,000 direct and indirect jobs would be created,” she said, adding that the investment would “save Government forex; more than 15 million dollars is spent yearly on cylinder importation.”

Last line
The most imminent danger is to your mother, wife, sister, daughters and female acquaintances. While the government and private sectors are doing what they could do to guarantee integrity of cooking gas, you should not wait to follow these few steps to check how safe you and your relatives are from this avoidable tragedy by checking the integrity of your cylinders.
The best time to do this is now. According to Chinese axiom, the best time to plant a tree was 10 years ago; the second best time is now!

1. rekordbox torrent

July 6, 2019 at 3:33 pm

Hi, google lead me here, keep up good work.

2. ufc 3 skidrow

July 6, 2019 at 9:52 am

Intresting, will come back here again.

3. tom clancy's the division hacks

July 5, 2019 at 3:05 pm

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own blog and was curious what all is required to get set up? I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty penny? I’m not very web savvy so I’m not 100 certain. Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Appreciate it

4. dego pubg hack

July 5, 2019 at 2:53 am

Nice post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Very helpful info particularly the last part 🙂 I care for such info much. I was looking for this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

5. phantom forces hack

July 4, 2019 at 2:42 pm

It’s hard to search out educated folks on this subject, however you sound like you realize what you’re speaking about! Thanks

July 3, 2019 at 2:58 pm

Thank you for the sensible critique. Me & my neighbor were just preparing to do a little research about this. We got a grab a book from our area library but I think I learned more clear from this post. I’m very glad to see such excellent information being shared freely out there.

7. vn hack

July 3, 2019 at 3:03 am

I really appreciate this post. I’ve been looking all over for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You’ve made my day! Thank you again

8. hacking apex legends pc

July 2, 2019 at 3:13 am

Excellent post. I was checking continuously this blog and I’m impressed! Very useful information specifically the last part 🙂 I care for such info much. I was seeking this particular info for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

9. cryptotab script hack free

June 29, 2019 at 11:04 am

excellent points altogether, you just gained a new reader. What would you suggest about your post that you made a few days ago? Any positive?

10. advanced systemcare 11.5 serial

June 28, 2019 at 9:07 am

My coder is trying to persuade me to move to .net from PHP. I have always disliked the idea because of the expenses. But he’s tryiong none the less. I’ve been using WordPress on several websites for about a year and am worried about switching to another platform. I have heard excellent things about blogengine.net. Is there a way I can import all my wordpress content into it? Any kind of help would be greatly appreciated!

11. strucid aimbot

June 28, 2019 at 2:16 am

I absolutely love your blog and find many of your post’s to be precisely what I’m looking for. Would you offer guest writers to write content for yourself? I wouldn’t mind writing a post or elaborating on some of the subjects you write with regards to here. Again, awesome web site!

12. synapse x cracked

June 27, 2019 at 3:49 pm

Thanks for the blog post, is there any way I can receive an email sent to me when you publish a fresh post?

13. ispoofer license key

June 27, 2019 at 1:06 am

My brother suggested I would possibly like this web site. He used to be totally right. This publish truly made my day. You cann’t imagine just how much time I had spent for this info! Thank you!

14. qureka pro apk

June 26, 2019 at 1:25 am

Incredible! This blog looks exactly like my old one! It’s on a completely different subject but it has pretty much the same page layout and design. Wonderful choice of colors!

15. free fire hack version unlimited diamond

June 25, 2019 at 1:48 am

What i do not understood is if truth be told how you’re not actually much more well-favored than you might be right now. You’re so intelligent. You understand therefore significantly relating to this topic, produced me individually consider it from so many numerous angles. Its like men and women don’t seem to be fascinated unless it is something to accomplish with Woman gaga! Your personal stuffs nice. Always care for it up!

16. Best Answers

June 24, 2019 at 11:40 pm

I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles or blog posts on this sort of space . Exploring in Yahoo I eventually stumbled upon this web site. Studying this info So i’m happy to show that I have a very good uncanny feeling I found out just what I needed. I so much unquestionably will make certain to do not disregard this website and give it a look on a constant basis.

17. tourist bus simulator activation key.txt

June 24, 2019 at 2:29 pm

Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice at the same time as you amend your site, how could i subscribe for a weblog site? The account helped me a applicable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered vibrant transparent idea

18. dego gh

June 24, 2019 at 10:02 am

F*ckin’ awesome issues here. I’m very satisfied to look your article. Thank you so much and i am taking a look forward to touch you. Will you please drop me a e-mail?

June 23, 2019 at 2:12 pm

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It if truth be told used to be a enjoyment account it. Look advanced to more delivered agreeable from you! By the way, how could we communicate?

20. lumber tycoon 2 scripts

June 23, 2019 at 12:14 pm

Thanks so much for providing individuals with remarkably terrific chance to read critical reviews from this blog. It can be very superb and also full of a good time for me and my office co-workers to search your web site really 3 times in 7 days to see the fresh items you will have. Not to mention, I am usually fulfilled with the fabulous suggestions you serve. Selected 4 ideas in this posting are ultimately the finest I’ve had.

21. fifa 18 patch download

June 21, 2019 at 2:14 am

I precisely wanted to say thanks once more. I am not sure the things I could possibly have worked on without these information contributed by you about that question. It was actually a real intimidating problem in my circumstances, but spending time with a new skilled strategy you dealt with it forced me to leap with gladness. I will be happy for the information and then sincerely hope you are aware of an amazing job you were accomplishing training the rest via a web site. Most likely you’ve never got to know all of us.

22. nonsense diamond 1.9

June 20, 2019 at 1:14 pm

There are actually plenty of details like that to take into consideration. That is a nice level to deliver up. I provide the ideas above as normal inspiration but clearly there are questions like the one you convey up where the most important factor can be working in sincere good faith. I don?t know if greatest practices have emerged around things like that, but I’m certain that your job is clearly recognized as a fair game. Both boys and girls feel the affect of just a moment’s pleasure, for the rest of their lives.

23. vn hax download

June 19, 2019 at 2:54 pm

I’m still learning from you, as I’m making my way to the top as well. I absolutely love reading everything that is posted on your site.Keep the information coming. I enjoyed it!

24. proxo key

June 18, 2019 at 2:39 pm

I do agree with all the ideas you’ve introduced in your post. They’re really convincing and will certainly work. Still, the posts are very short for novices. May you please prolong them a bit from subsequent time? Thank you for the post.

ICT / e-World

Facebook probe by US states expands to 47 attorneys general

Facebook probe by US states expands to 47 attorneys general

A New York-led probe into allegations that Facebook Inc put consumer data at risk and pushed up advertising rates has expanded to include attorneys general from 47 U.S. states and territories, New York Attorney General Letitia James said in a statement on Tuesday.

The investigation of Facebook announced in September had included Colorado, Florida, Iowa, Nebraska, North Carolina, Ohio, Tennessee and the District of Columbia. It now includes most U.S. states as well as the U.S. territory of Guam, reports Reuters.

Facebook shares closed down 3.9% at $182.34 on Tuesday.

The statement provided a list of states involved in the probe and added that other states “cannot confirm their participation in pending investigations.” California, the largest state by population, was not on the list.

Some states, particularly New York and Nebraska, have raised concerns that Facebook and other big tech companies engage in anti-competitive practices, expose consumer data to potential data theft and push up advertising prices.

Facebook said that its users had multiple choices for the services that the company provides.

“We understand that if we stop innovating, people can easily leave our platform. This underscores the competition we face,” said Will Castleberry, vice president, state and local policy, at Facebook. “We will work constructively with state attorneys general and we welcome a conversation with policymakers about the competitive environment in which we operate.”

Facebook also faces probes by the U.S. Justice Department and the Federal Trade Commission, as well as the House of Representatives Judiciary Committee.

The Facebook investigations are part of a larger landscape of probes of big tech firms.

Reuters and others reported in June that the Justice Department and FTC had divided responsibility for the companies being investigated, with the Justice Department taking on Alphabet Inc’s Google and Apple Inc while the FTC looked into Facebook and Amazon.com Inc.

The Justice Department later said it was opening a probe of online platforms, which would include Facebook.

ICT / e-World

Facebook probe by US states expands to 47 attorneys general

Facebook probe by US states expands to 47 attorneys general

Facebook shares closed down 3.9% at $182.34 on Tuesday.

Business

CBN: Consumer confidence index rose to 3.8 in Q3

CBN: Consumer confidence index rose to 3.8 in Q3

C

onsumers’ overall confidence index rose to 3.8 points in the third quarter of this year, up by 2.3 points compared with the index in the corresponding period of 2018, according to the Central Bank of Nigeria’s (CBN) Consumer Expectations Survey (CES) Q3 2019 report.

The report, which was posted on the apex bank’s website yesterday, attributed consumers’ favourable outlook to, “improved family income and family financial situation.”

It also shows that the consumer outlooks for the next quarter and next 12 months were positive at 22.8 and 31.5 points, respectively and  attributed this to the “expected increase in net household income, an anticipated improvement in Nigeria’s economic conditions and expectations to save a bit and/or have plenty over savings in the next 12 months.”

However, despite their optimistic outlook, most respondents, according to the report, expect prices of goods and services to rise in the next 12 months, with an index of 25.0 points. It stated that the major drivers for the expected increase in prices include the purchase of appliances/ consumer durables, savings, education, purchase of car/motor vehicle, purchase of house and transportation.

Similarly, the report stated  that the overall buying conditions index for big-ticket items in the Q3’19 stood at 30.3 points, adding that this indicates that most consumers believed that the current quarter was not the ideal time to purchase big-ticket items such as  consumer durables, motor vehicles and houses.

Likewise, the overall buying intention index in the next twelve months stood at 36.2 index points, indicating, according to the report, “that most consumers do not intend to buy big-ticket items in the next 12 months.”

It added that the buying intention indices for consumer durables, motor vehicles and houses were below 50 points, an indication that respondents have no plans to make these purchases in the next twelve months.

On the borrowing and exchange rates outlooks for the next 12 months, the report stated that: “With indices of -6.2 and 13.9 points, consumers expect the borrowing rate to fall, but expect the naira to appreciate in the next 12 months.”

In addition, the report shows that the unemployment index for the next 12 months remained positive at 21.8 points in Q3 2019, indicating that consumers generally expect the unemployment rate to rise in the next one year.

Business

Lafarge refutes reports on alleged SEC probe

Lafarge refutes reports on alleged SEC probe

C

ement company Lafarge Africa Plc has in a notification to the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) and the investing public, debunked a purported investigation ordered by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) on its activities over alleged poor corporate governance practices and abuses.

In a statement, the General Counsel & Company Secretary, Adewumi Alode, said the cement firm was not in receipt of any letter from and SEC that would warrant the company to believe that an investigation has been launched against it.

One of the national newspapers, not New Telegraph, had reported that the apex capital market regulator had launched investigations into activities at Lafarge Africa Plc over allegations of poor corporate governance practices and abuses.

According to the report, documents obtained indicated that SEC’s investigation was sequel to a petition written by concerned shareholders of the publicly–quoted company.

Shareholders had raised several allegations of infractions and poor practices by the company, urging the SEC to act.

Shareholders called for forensic audit of Lafarge Africa to determine the propriety of acquisition of Lafarge South Africa, a subsidiary of LafargeHolcim by Lafarge Africa Plc and the subsequent sale of same Lafarge South Africa to LafargeHolcim after many years of losses that negatively impacted Lafarge Africa. LafargeHolcim is the majority core investor in Lafarge Africa.

According to the petition, there is need to ascertain the veracity of the transactions to ensure the minority shareholders were not shortchanged as corporate acquisition of such magnitude ought to have involved comprehensive due diligence to forestall the subsequent round-tripping of assets.

The forensic audit is expected to focus on the nature and independence of due diligence on the transactions, share pricing and valuations, board’s oversight functions and insider dealings, interference of the majority core investor and the current composition of the board of Lafarge Africa.

petition alleged that the entire transactions on Lafarge South Africa were skewed in favour of LafargeHolcim, leaving the Nigerian minority shareholders with reduction in shareholding and avoidable losses.

Business

SEC: Capital master plan’ll boost economic growth

SEC: Capital master plan’ll boost economic growth

T

he Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) has stressed the need to mainstream the capital market master plan into the national economic development policy.

This was stated by Acting Director General, Securities and Exchange Commission, SEC, Ms. Mary Uduk, at an interactive session with the Senate in Abuja, yesterday.

According to Uduk, it will improve Nigeria’s competitiveness, promote a savings culture, improve market depth and liquidity and catalyze economic growth, also stated that this will be beneficial not just to the capital market but also to the entire economy.

She said: “More importantly, since the capital market over time serves as the barometer of any economy, the successful implementation of the Nigerian Capital Market Master Plan will aid the actualisation of the nation’s economic development aspirations.

“The Commission also needs to continue to encourage efficient market through disclosure and investor protection, while making efforts at diversifying the products currently available.”

On this, Uduk said the commission was working towards developing a vibrant commodity ecosystem as well as developing the derivatives and fintech space.

These, she stated, required adequate support from relevant stakeholders and huge investment in capacity building.

“Also, government’s recent effort to reduce internal borrowing to be replaced with external borrowing for lowered interest rates is expected to release funds to the private sector and engender capital market growth.

“In addition, conscious efforts by the government to privatise enterprises and seek long term capital through the capital market will go a long way in deepening the Nigerian capital market, raising financial inclusion and wealth distribution,” she said.

In his remarks, Chairman of the Senate Committee on Capital Market, Senator Ibikunle Amosun, urged stakeholders in the capital market to meaningfully contribute their quotas in the development of the market to either strengthen the confidence of existing investors or new ones that are coming in.

He said: “The Senate is not unaware of the challenges facing the growth of the Nigerian capital market. It is our desire as a committee to support you with unnecessary legislation to develop the Nigerian capital market.

“Therefore, we are ready to work to bring back investor confidence to the capital market, by creating laws so that investments can start, which was stagnant since 2007. Companies and Allied Matters Act (CAMA) will also look into it to remove obsolete information.”

Amosun assured that the National Assembly would ensure the passage of relevant laws, amend some and enact new ones.

“This committee in assuring you of its readiness to advise and to ensure cooperation, wavers on tax holidays, if and where necessary. There is equally the need to revive the commodity exchange and make the market robust and functional.

Business

NSE: Bears overrun bulls

NSE: Bears overrun bulls

LOW CONFIDENCE

Market breadth closed negative as Courtville led 12 gainers against 13 losers topped by Eterna Oil at the end of trading session

T

rading activities on the floor of the Nigerian Stock Exchange yesterday witnessed another drop in share prices as bears sustained their grip on the local bourse following sell-off that has persisted on the equities market.

Market breadth closed negative as Courtville led 12 gainers against 13 losers topped by Eterna Oil at the end of the trading session.

Consequently, the All-Share Index dipped 24.25 basis points or 0.09 per cent to close at 26,365.83 index points as against 26.390.08 recorded the previous trading session while market capitalisation of equities depreciated by N12 billion from N12.846 trillion the previous day to N12.834 trillion as market sentiment remained on the negative territory.

However, turnover closes positive as volume moved up by +182.29 per cent as against -20.84 per cent downtick recorded in the previous session.

Meanwhile, a turnover of 694 million shares exchanged in 2,780 deals was recorded in the day’s trading.

The premium sub-sector was the most active (measured by turnover volume); with 392.3 million shares exchanged by investors in 1,193 deals.

Volume in the sub-sector was largely driven by activities in the shares of Zenith Bank Plc and UBA Plc.

Also, the banking sub-sector, boosted by activities in the shares of Fidelity Bank Plc and GTBank Plc, followed with a turnover of 64.4 million shares in 532 deals.

Further analysis of the day’s trading showed that in percentage terms, Courtville Business Solution Plc topped the day’s gainers’ table with 10 per cent to close at 22 kobo per share while Cutix Plc followed with 9.92 per cent to close at N1.44 per share. Cornerstone Insurance Plc added 8.57 per cent to close at 38 kobo per share.

On the flip side, Eterna Oil Plc led the losers with a drop of 9.52 per cent to close at N2.85 per share while Omomor Bank Plc shed 9.09 per cent to close at 50 kobo per share. May and Baker Plc trailed with 8.68 per cent to close at N2.00 per share.

Business

CBN grapples with rising cost of printing currency

CBN grapples with rising cost of printing currency

O

ver seven years after it introduced the cashless policy as part of efforts to tackle the problem of printing cash, the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) seems to be making little headway in its struggle to reduce the costs, findings by New Telegraph show.

According to data obtained from the CBN’s Currency Operations 2018 Annual report released a few days ago, the apex bank spent a whopping sum of N231.27 billion to print currency between 2013 and 2018.

New Telegraph’s analysis of the report shows that the cost of printing currency has been rising steadily since 2016.

For instance, while the CBN spent the sum of N33.37billion to print currency in 2016, the amount increased to N49.52 billion and N64.04 billion in 2017 and 2018 respectively.

For 2013, 2014 and 2015, the report indicates that the regulator spent N31.10 billion, N23.13 billion and N30.09 billion respectively for the same purpose.

This means that between 2013 and 2018, the banking watchdog spent the highest amount (N64.04billion) to print currency last year.

Similarly, the report shows that the CBN approved an indent of 3,351.34 million pieces of banknotes of various denominations in 2018, which was 25.3 per cent higher than the level of the preceding year, to meet the currency needs of the economy.

It stated that although  the Nigerian Security Printing and Minting (NSPM) Plc was awarded the  contract for the entire indent, the company delivered 2,653.31 million pieces or 79.2 per cent of the total with an outstanding balance of 698.03 as at the end of December last year.

The 3.35 billion pieces of currency indent ordered from NSPM last year is, in fact, the highest the CBN has requested since 2014 when it ordered 1.76 billion.

Aside the massive amount it spent on printing currency last year, the CBN also disclosed in the report that it expended a total of N74.6 billion on currency operations, while  “the sum of N662.21 million was expended on currency notes disposal,” during the period.

It, however, said it generated an income of N7.9 billion from penal charges on unsorted bank notes deposited by deposit money banks (DMBs) and charges for authentication of foreign currency deposits that lenders deposited with it, during the period.

It would  be recalled that when the CBN,  then under the leadership of Sanusi Lamido,  introduced  the cashless policy in 2012, it said  the initiative, which is  aimed at curbing the use  of and handling (or abuse) of  naira notes, would also result in huge savings for the regulator with regard to the massive amounts it spends on printing  currency.

Indeed, as part of efforts to encourage better handling of the naira, the CBN on June 30, this year in Lagos, unveiled its “Clean Note Policy and Bank Note Fitness Guideline,” which, the bank said, provided a unified standard for the circulation of only clean and fit notes.

Speaking at the event, the Director of Currency Operations of the CBN, Mrs. Prinscilla Eleje, revealed that the apex bank no longer printed naira notes abroad as all currencies are now printed by the NSPMC.

Eleje, who also disclosed that the CBN had reduced the cost of   replacing mutilated currencies from N50 to N5, urged banks to accept mutilated and over-circulated notes and bring them to the apex bank for replacement.

Industry sources told New Telegraph at the weekend that the need to encourage Nigerians to fully embrace the cashless policy, thereby reducing its currency printing costs, was one of the key reasons the CBN recently introduced new charges on deposits and withdrawals above certain thresholds.

Specifically, the CBN had in a circular released on September 17, this year, stated that  with effect from September 18, 2019,   a three per cent processing fee on withdrawals and two per cent processing fee would be charged on lodgments of amounts above N500,000 for individual accounts.

For corporate accounts, the CBN said that lenders would charge five per cent processing fees for withdrawals and three processing fee for lodgments of amounts above N3,000,000.

The statement, however, disclosed that the charge on deposits would apply in Lagos, Ogun, Kano, Abia, Anambra, and Rivers States as well as the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).

It added that the implementation of the cashless policy would take effect in other states from March 31, 2020.

However, in a circular it released last Friday, the CBN announced that it had exempted all embassies, diplomatic missions, multilateral and aid donor agencies in Nigeria, as well as revenue generating accounts of government agencies, from charges on cash withdrawal and deposits with regard to the implementation of the cashless policy.

Business

Investor protection fund germane to boosting market confidence

Investor protection fund germane  to boosting market confidence

The  sustenance of Investor Protection Fund (IPF) will bolster confidence in the capital market. Chris Ugwu writes

A

t the Nigerian Stock Exchange like its counterparts world over, corporate governance is one of the key elements in improving economic efficiency and growth as well as enhancing investor confidence.

An effective corporate governance system within an individual company and across an economy as a whole helps to provide a degree of confidence that is necessary for proper functioning of a market economy.

Sound corporate governance helps to lower the cost of capital, and firms are encouraged to use resources more efficiently, thereby strengthening growth.

Meanwhile, the degree to which corporations observe basic principles of good corporate governance is an important factor for investment decision.

However, in Nigeria, lapses in adherence to these principles have contributed mainly to crisis in the Nigerian Stock Exchange, even as most countries have recovered from the global financial meltdown.

Investors cannot forget in a hurry the unreasonable manipulation of share prices, which firms, in collaboration with dealing members of the exchanges and other financial institutions, indulged themselves, a despicable practice that saw the market bubble to a peak on March 5, 2008, with market capitalisation and index hitting N13 trillion and 66,371.20 points respectively only to reverse speedily to N6.957 trillion and 31,450.78 by December, 2008.

It is, therefore, not surprising that market regulators have continued to wield the big stick by penalizing some companies especially for market infractions and also finding ways to reward investors who incurred losses as a result of wrong doing by dealing member firms and other quoted companies of the Exchange.

On of such was the launch of Investors Protection Fund (IPF).

Investors Protection Fund

The IPF is a statutory fund established pursuant to Section 197 of the ISA to compensate investors who suffer pecuniary loss arising from the revocation or cancellation of the registration of a dealing member firm by the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC); the insolvency, bankruptcy or negligence of a dealing member firm of the Exchange; and defalcation committed by a dealing member firm or any of its directors, officers, employees or representatives in relation to securities, money or any property entrusted to, or received or deemed received by the dealing member firm in the course of its business as a dealing member firm.

The NSE had on September 21, 2012 inaugurated the new board of the fund, with the late Gamaliel Onosode as the chairman.

Also, the Securities and Exchange Commission, in January 2014, approved the proposed rules to govern the fund.

However, following the demise of Onosode, the Nigerian Stock Exchange in 2016 appointed Mr. Lawrence Fubara Anga as the Chairperson of the Board of Trustees.

In line with the provisions of part XIV of the Investment and Securities Act (ISA) 2007, which requires the NSE to establish and maintain an investor protection fund, the NSE launched its IPF with about N625 million in the coffers as at 2013.

The SEC had in 2015 also inaugurated a National Investors Protection Fund (NIPF) worth N5 billion.

The then SEC Director-General, Mounir Gwarzo, at the ceremony, explained that NIPF would complement the existing Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) Investor Protection Fund (IPF).

Gwarzo said that the global financial challenges made the new NIPF imperative in the nation’s capital market.

Gwarzo described NIPF as a trust scheme established to compensate investors, like those involved in private placements, not covered under the existing IPF administered by NSE.

Previous worries

However, many investors had expressed concerns over the feasibility, accessibility and compensation process of the fund.

A former National Coordinator, Independent Shareholders Association (ISAN), Sir. Sunny Nwosu, had said that retail investors were not aware of the fund.

Nwosu said that the shareholders’ representative on the IPF board was not appointed by the shareholders to represent their interest, but was selected by the NSE.

He said that the fund lacked credibility because nobody had benefited from it over the years.

Nwosu also said that domestic investors had suffered untold hardship between 2008 and 2010 and needed to be compensated.

Also, the President, Progressive Shareholders Association of Nigeria, Mr. Boniface Okezie, said that besides the constitution of the board, approval of the rules, investor education on the benefits and those eligible were necessary.

Okezie said that many investors left the market because they did not know their rights and needed to be enlightened.

He lamented the failure of the regulators to provide information until when there was a problem, adding that investors needed to be carried along by the market regulators.

Beneficiaries get N66m in 3yrs

Some investors who suffered pecuniary losses due to activities of capital market operators have so far been compensated by Board of Trustees of Investor Protection Fund IPF with N65.58 million during the past three years.

Investigation by New Telegraph showed that pursuant to Part XIV of the Investment and Securities Act 2007 (ISA), compensated a total of 62 claims valued at N15.42 million bringing it to a total of N65.58 million paid out to beneficiaries within the past three years.

The Chief Executive Officer of the NSE, Mr. Oscar Onyema, who is also a trustee of the IPF, said: had said “This milestone gives me great pleasure as it affirms our commitment to the continuous development of initiatives that will bolster confidence in the capital market. Though the compensation payment may not be a complete restoration, it is a show of good faith on our part to investors. I thank the Board of Trustees for their guidance and commitment, the claimants for their valuable patience, and all other stakeholders for their contributions towards the success of this exercise.”

SEC’s stance

The Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC)  said it was determined to ensure capital market investors were adequately protected in all transactions.

This was stated by Acting Director General of the SEC, Ms. Mary Uduk, during a meeting with the Association of Corporate Trustees in Abuja recently.

Uduk, who was represented by Acting Executive Commissioner, Operations, SEC, Mr. Isyaku Tilde, said it was the responsibility of the commission to ensure that investors are not short changed in any transactions.

She, therefore, urged them to participate to grow the market.

Uduk said to this end, the commission was taking steps to reduce transaction costs in a bid to ensure investors do not bear unnecessary costs.

According to her, “we are doing a lot to boost investors’ confidence in our market. But I want to say that both local and foreign investors are very good for the market. For instance, the foreign investors, because they trade their shares all of the time it leads to price discovery as against the local investors that just takes a long term view on their investments.

“Investors’ fears can be two-fold; firstly, they could be afraid because they feel that capital market operators will mismanage their investments, secondly, it is looking at the volatility of the market that makes investors sceptical.

“For the first scenario, we have a number of initiatives that we have put in place to boost investors’ confidence. We have the e-dividend mandate system, the direct cash settlement as well as multiple subscriptions in place. For the second category, investors have to take ownership of their investments. They have to be able to monitor their investments, attend annual general meetings as well as read the annual reports sent out to them.”

The acting DG said investors were also protected through the National Investors Protection Fund (NIPF) Risk Based Supervision that enables the commission to supervise operators to do the right thing.

According to her, the complaints management framework enables investors to know where to complain to and how long it takes for such complaints to be resolved. For those of the investors that are averse to risks, they should get their financial advisers to tell them where to invest.

“We also advise retail investors to invest in Collective Investment Schemes and Mutual Funds because those are managed independently by professionals and they are diversified thereby reducing risks. We are committed to protecting investors in the work we do. We will keep working on our rules and the possibility of amending them when the need arises, we want more transparency in the market so that investors will feel comfortable and the market can be better,” Uduk added.

Operators’ take

Managing Director, Crane Securities Limited, Mr. Mike Eze, in a telephone chat with New Telegraph, described the development as a step in a right direction that will help to bring sanity in the local bourse.

Eze noted that the foundation of a successful market was integrity and where there is integrity, investors feel confident that their funds are safe.

To Mr. Olabisi Peter, an independent shareholder, the compensation will boost investors’ confidence and help bring both local and foreign investors back to the volatile capital market.

He noted that to build a world class market, the SEC and NSE should focus more on investor protection, the restoration and sustenance of investors’ confidence in the market.

Last line

However, if investors lose confidence in the capital market, the ability of the market to mobilise and channel long-term funds, which are vital for economic development, will be a mirage.

The bold step will bring the much needed sanity to the market as both local and foreign investors will feel protected and confident to participate when a market is perceived to be fair, efficient and transparent with a strong enforcement regime.

Business

AfDB, others launch report on livable cities

AfDB, others launch report on livable cities

R

apid urbanisation has provided most cities in the world with opportunities to provide more sustainable, vibrant, and prosperous centers for their citizens. But they must first address challenges such as inadequate infrastructure investments, pollution and congestion, and poor urban planning, according to a new report released at the weekend.

The report, “Creating Livable Cities: Regional Perspectives,” which  looks at urbanisation trends across emerging and developing economies in Africa,  Asia and the Pacific,  Eastern Europe, Southern and Eastern Mediterranean  as well as  Latin America and the Caribbean, is a joint publication by four regional development banks (RDBs) operating in these regions—African Development Bank (AfDB), Asian Development Bank (ADB), European Bank for Reconstruction and Development (EBRD), and Inter-American Development Bank (IDB).

“Cities offer access to key infrastructure, institutions, and services for a good quality of life,” ADB President, Takehiko Nakao said.

“They can be centers of innovation for a more livable future for all. But realizing that potential requires forward thinking and flexible planning, adequate capacity at the municipal level, and good governance,” he added.

The world’s urban population has grown from just 750 million in 1950 (or 31% of the total population) to 4.2 billion in 2018 (55% of the total population)—a number that is estimated to reach 5.2 billion in 2030 (60% of the total population). While the majority of leading economic hubs are still in advanced economies, the center of economic activity is moving toward the developing and emerging markets, the report says. Asia and Africa will account for 90% of urban population growth between 2018 and 2050, with more than a third of this growth to happen in just three countries—the People’s Republic of China (PRC), India, and Nigeria.

Business

Lagos ports risky for vessels, seafarers

Lagos ports risky for vessels, seafarers

All types of ships are now vulnerable to attack in Gulf of Guinea, which now accounts for 86 per cent of crew   hostage globally in 2019, BAYO AKOMOLAFE reports

P

iracy has remained one of the biggest crimes in the maritime industry and  has caused immense financial and economic losses to ship owners and government as well as physical harm to crew members.

For more than one decade, Nigerian waters have been labeled as the hot spot for piracy,  armed robbery and kidnapping.

Piracy includes attacks on shipping on the high seas, which are more than 12 nautical miles off the coastline and not under the jurisdiction of any state.

Inside a country’s territorial waters and within port facilities, the attacks are defined as robberies at sea.

Mostly affected in the last three months is the Lagos port, which has become the hotbed of armed robbery, especially in the third quarter of 2019.

It was learnt that 37.9 per cent or 11 incidents of the 29 incidents were recorded in 2019, the highest number in any port in the world were recorded in Lagos.

Although, for the first time in the first quarter of 2019, Nigeria experienced a decrease in reported piracy incidents, according to the International Maritime Bureau’s (IMB) report.

The country reported 14 incidents of piracy for Q1, 2019, in comparison to 22 incidents in Q1, 2018 because of government efforts to reduce robbery on the sea.

However, despite efforts to reduce robbery, Nigerian waters  have remained risky for vessels, especially the ports of Lagos and Rivers where some incidents have been reported between April and June this year

Attacks

Despite reporting more attacks than any other country, Nigeria has reduced Q3 piracy attacks from 41 in 2018 to 29 in 2019.

For instance in 2019,  no fewer than 119 incidents of piracy and armed robbery against ships were reported to the IMB Piracy Reporting Centre (PRC)’s compared to 156 incidents for the same period in 2018.

The IMB’s report for the third quarter of 2019 revealed that the incidents of piracy and armed robbery against ships were fewer in the first nine months of 2018.

Overall, the bureau noted that 95 vessels were boarded, 10 vessels fired upon, 10 attempted attacks, and four vessels hijacked.

Also, the number of crew taken hostage through the first nine months declined from 112 in 2018 to 49 in 2019.

According to the bureau, “incidents involving guns and knives remain consistent. There have been 24 knife-related and 35 gun-related incidents reported in 2019, compared to 25 and 37 for the first nine months of 2018. These statistics confirm IMB’s concerns over continued threats to the safety and security of seafarers.”

2019 incidents

This year, the Gulf of Guinea (GoG) accounted for 86 per cent of crew taken hostage and nearly 82 per cent of crew kidnappings globally.

In July, a general cargo vessel was hijacked approximately 120 nautical miles (nm) South West from Brass. Also, 10 crew members were kidnapped from the vessel and released four weeks later.

In August, a bulk carrier and a general cargo vessel were boarded within hours of each other at Douala anchorage, Cameroon and a total of 17 crew were kidnapped from the vessels. Within six weeks, all kidnapped crew were released.

This incident demonstrates the range of piracy activity in the Gulf of Guinea and that all types of ships are vulnerable to attack.

According to the Director of IMB, Pottengal Mukundan, the Gulf of Guinea  had continued to be a concern for piracy and armed robbery-related activities with kidnappings of crew members increasing in both scale and frequency.

He noted: “It is important that shipmasters and owners continue to report all actual, attempted and suspected incidents to ensure that an accurate picture of these attacks emerge and  action is taken against these criminals before the incidents further escalate.”

Solution

However, the Federal Government has signed Suppression of Piracy and other Maritime Offences Bill into law to prevent and suppress piracy, armed robbery and any other unlawful act against a ship, aircraft and any other maritime thefts in the country’s territorial waters and exclusive economic zone.

Speaking on the new law, the Director-General of NIMASA, Dr. Dakuku Peterside, explained in  Lagos that the Act would ensure an increasingly safer and more secure environment for profitable maritime business especially at the very critical stage of the country’s  blue economy drive.

He listed some of the significant provisions of the Act as including a distinct definition of piracy, maritime offences/unlawful acts, punishment upon conviction for maritime crimes, restitution to owners of violated maritime assets or forfeiture of proceeds of maritime crime to the Federal Government and establishment of a Piracy and Maritime Offences Fund (MPOF) with prescribed sources of funding that will be utilised in the implementation of the Act.

Dakuku added that the law would empowers relevant authorities mentioned under the Act to seize vessels or aircraft used for maritime crimes anywhere in Nigeria and in international waters or in the jurisdiction of any country where the ship is reasonably believed to be a pirate-controlled ship or aircraft.

Last line

Government should beef up security around the ports to ensure that ships, crew and cargoes are protected.