Connect with us

     

BREAKING NEWS

NBC shuts AIT, Raypower indefinitely

Published

on

NBC shuts AIT, Raypower indefinitely

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has suspended the licence of DAAR Communications Plc, owners of African Independent Television (AIT) and Raypower “until further notice”.

Modibbo Kawu, director-general of NBC, announced the shut down at a press briefing in Abuja on Thursday evening.

He said the action was taken for failure of the stations to abide by the broadcasting code.

“Today the 6th of June, 2019, AIT/Rapower embarked on use of inflammatory, divisive, inciting broadcasts, and media propaganda against the government and, the NBC for performing its statutory functions of regulating the broadcast industry in Nigeria,” he said.

“Consequently, after several meetings with management of Daar Communications Plc and many letters of warning. The NBC, today 6th June, 2019 took a decision to suspend the licence of Daar Communications Plc for failure to abide by the Commission’s directives, the provisions of the NBC Act Cap N11. The SHUT DOWN order is until further notice.”

Kawu said the regulatory agency had been monitoring the stations for a long time and had issued warnings that were defied.

“Following monitoring reports and complaints from concerned Nigerians about the broadcast contents of Daar Communications Plc’s AIT/Raypower broadcast stations, the NBC have over the last 2 years summoned on several occasions management of the company to address issues regarding the operations of AIT/Raypower with the company, particularly, Political Platform and Kakaaki aired on AIT,” he said.

“In one of our meetings, held on 2nd June, 2017, the Commission expressed its disappointment with the way and manner Hate Speech, divisive and inciting comments are applied in discussion of national issues in breach of the provisions of the NBC Act and Broadcast Code.

“Again, on 15th August, 2017, it became imperative to invite the company for yet another meeting on almost same issues. Furthermore, while addressing another meeting on 7th February, 2018 we highlighted issues of concern to the Commission which indicated that the company had been breaching the provisions of Sections 3.1.2 and 3.1.3 of the broadcast Code. The company’s delegates in their response promised to abate the breaches and comply with the law.

“However, on October 18, 2018, the Commission was disturbed with the manner in which social media issues became part of the mainstream media unedited on AIT/Raypower, and was constrained to issue a generic letter to all broadcast stations on.”

He said the stations did not see the need to exercise caution in the use of user generated content from the social media.

Kawu added that rather than take learning from the warning it issued, the stations took to the social media to display official correspondences.

“Instead of making amends, the management of Daar Communications Plc resorted to the use of media propaganda against the regulator. Even the letters from the NBC were posted on social media platforms,” he said.

“Needless to state that Daar Communications have over the years turned themselves into a bad example of how a professional broadcast outfit should not be run.”

When he led a protest to the British high commission in Abuja earlier in the day, Raymond Dokpesi, founder of DAAR Communications, had said there were plans to shut the station later in the day.

“So we are here to appeal to the British High Commission, its officials and the British government to please assist and intervene to ensure that there is freedom of speech, that the Nigerian media is able to operate without any type of restraint,” he had said.

“I hear that already that the villa has already decided that this evening, AIT and Raypower will be shut down. They are most welcome.

“So we are here to really await the pressure, to await the state that will be taking for expressing our rights, we are here to say this should not happen in a democracy.”

Advertisements
Continue Reading
Advertisement
1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. Pingback: NBC shuts AIT, Raypower indefinitely - Instanextpost

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BREAKING NEWS

Turkish Airways plane closes Lagos International airport runway

Published

on

By

Turkish Airways plane closes Lagos International airport runway

A runway at Nigeria’s premier airport, the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos is currently shut following the breakdown of a plane belonging to Turkish Airways.

According to reports, the airport’s 18Runway is currently closed due to the plane which is stuck on the runway.

However, there will be minimum disruption at the airport as both international and domestic flights will now be using the runway reserved for domestic flights until the stuck plane is removed.

Details later…

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Air Peace plane damaged after forceful landing in Lagos

Published

on

By

Air Peace plane damaged after forceful landing in Lagos

Wole Shadare

For divine intervention, passengers onboard an Air Peace flight from Port Harcourt escaped unhurt Tuesday when their plane made a forceful landing in Lagos.

Our correspondent learnt that the B737 aircraft dropped from about 20 feet and slammed onto the Lagos airport runway causing substantial damage to the plane’s front undercarriage, including a burst tyre.

As at the time of filing this report, the Accident Investigation Bureau officials were at the scene inspecting the aircraft.

AIB said it would issue a statement on the accident later.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Lagos begins clearing of Badagry Expressway, dislodges traders

Published

on

By

Lagos begins clearing of Badagry Expressway, dislodges traders

The Lagos State government on Tuesday morning began the clearing of illegal structures along the corridor of the Lagos-Badagry Expressway.

The action, which also saw heavily armed security operatives dislodging traders along the route, is ostensibly in preparation of the commencement of work on the major highway which is in a very deplorable condition.

Lagos State Governor, Mr Jide Sanwo-Olu signed an Executive Order to back the action.

Only recently his deputy, Mr Femi Hamzat, had announced that work would soon commence on the road after reaching agreement with the Federal Government, which actually owns the highway linking Nigeria with neighbouring Benin.

The project is being undertaken by a Chinese construction company.

More details later…

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Full list of Buhari’s ministerial nominees

Published

on

By

Full list of Buhari’s ministerial nominees

President Mohammadu Buhari on Tuesday sent a list of 43 ministerial nominees to the Senate.

At 11:12am, President of the Senate, Dr Ahmad Lawan read the list at the plenary of the Senate, revealing that screening commences on Wednesday. Here is the full list of the ministerial nominees:

1. Abia – Uchechukwu Samson Ogah

2. Adamawa – Mohammed musa Bello

3. Akwa Ibom – God’swill Akpabio

4. Anambra – Dr Chris Ngige

5. Anambra – sharon Ikeazu

6. Bauchi – Adamu Adamu

7. Bauchi – Ambassador Mariam Kategu

8. Bayelsa – Timipre Sylvia

9. Benue – George Akume

10. Borno – Mustapha Baba Shehuri

11. Cross River – Goddi Jeddi Agba

12. Delta – Festus Keyamo

13. Enugu – Ogbonnaya Onu

14. Edo – Osagie Ehanire

15. Edo – Clement Agba

16. Ekiti – Otunba Adeniyi Adebayo

17. Enugu – Geoffrey Onyema

18. Gombe – Isa Ibrahim Patami

19. Imo – Emeka Nwajiuba

20. Jigawa – Sulieman Adamu

21. Kaduna – Zainab Ahmed

22. Kaduna – Mohammed Mahmud

23. Kano – Sabo Nanono

24. Kano – Major Bashir Sani

25. Katsina – Hadi Serika

26. Kebbi – Abubakar Malami

27. Kogi – Ramatu Tijani

28. Kwara – Lai Mohammed

29. Kwara – Gbemisola Saraki

30. Lagos – Babatunde Raji Fashola

31. Lagos – Adeleke Mamora

32. Nasarawa – Mohammed Abdullahi

33. Niger – Zubairu Dada

34. Ogun – Olamilekun Adegbite

35. Ondo – Tayo Alaosuadura

36. Osun – Rauf Aregbesola

37. Oyo – Sunday Dare

38. Plateau – Pauline Talin

39. Rivers – Rotimi Amaechi

40. Sokoto – Mohammed Dangidi

41. Taraba – Sale Mamman

42. Yobe – Abubakar Aliyu

43. Zamfara – Sadiya Umar Farouk.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Ministerial list: Dalung, Kachikwu, 2 others fail to return

Published

on

By

Ministerial list: Dalung, Kachikwu, 2 others fail to return

There are are a number of high profile names missing from the ministerial list submitted to the Senate on Tuesday by President Muhammadu Buhari.

Some of them are: Abdulrahman Dambazau, ex-Minister of Interior, Ibe Kachikwu, former Minister of State for Petroleum; Solomon Dalung, ex-Minister of Sports and Okechukwu Enelamah, ex-Minister Industry, Trade and Investment.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Boris Johnson elected Britain’s new PM

Published

on

By

Boris Johnson elected Britain’s new PM

Boris Johnson has been elected new Conservative leader in a ballot of party members and will become the next UK Prime Minister.

He beat Jeremy Hunt in a poll of Tory members, winning 92,153 votes to Mr Hunt’s 46,656.

The former London Mayor takes over from Theresa May on Wednesday, reports the BBC.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Akpabio, Keyamo, Saraki 39 others make Buhari’s ministerial list

Published

on

By

Akpabio, Keyamo, Saraki 39 others make Buhari’s ministerial list

More facts have emerged on the ministerial list President Muhammadu Buhari has sent to the Senate, with a number of surprise names.

Some of the names on the list include former Akwa Ibom State governor, Godswill Akpabio, former Benue State governor, George Akume, Buhari campaign spokesperson, Festus Keyamo (SAN).

Others on the list were former governor of Ekiti State, Niyi Adebayo, Senator Gbemisola Saraki, Senator Olutayo Alasoadura, immediate past governor of Osun State, Rauf Aregbesola, Senator Adeleke Mamora, and former transport minister, Rotimi Amaechi.

There are 42 names on the list.

More details as we receive them.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Another intruder arrested at Lagos airport

Published

on

By

Another intruder arrested at Lagos airport

Another intruder has been arrested at the Lagos airport.

The latest incident, which is coming barely a few days after a man, said to be be from Niger, was caught climbing on the wing of a Port Harcourt-bond plane, happened on Tuesday morning.

Following the previous incident, which frightened the passengers already on board the plane, the Federal Airports Authority of Nigeria (FAAN), removed a number of security personnel on duty on the day of the incident and assured the nation that they had put measures in place to avoid a repeat.

Details later…

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Buhari finally sends ministerial list to senate, names 42 nominees

Published

on

By

Buhari finally sends ministerial list to senate, names 42 nominees

President Muhammadu Buhari has finally sent his list of ministerial nominees to the senate.

Unlike during his first term when he appointed only 36 ministers — one per state — he has decided to also appoint one per geo-political zone, bringing the total to 42.

The list was sent to the senate on Monday evening via executive communication and is expected to be read on the floor of the senate on Tuesday.

The senate, which will be proceeding on a two-month recess on Thursday, is expected to screen the nominees.

Contrary to speculations, only about 12 ministers will be re-appointed from the former cabinet.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Buhari finally sends ministerial list to senate, names 42 nominees

Published

on

By

Buhari finally sends ministerial list to senate, names 42 nominees

President Muhammadu Buhari has finally sent his list of ministerial nominees to the senate.

Unlike during his first term when he appointed only 36 ministers — one per state — he has decided to also appoint one per geo-political zone, bringing the total to 42.

The list was sent to the senate on Monday evening via executive communication and is expected to be read on the floor of the senate on Tuesday.

The senate, which will be proceeding on a two-month recess on Thursday, is expected to screen the nominees.

Contrary to speculations, only about 12 ministers will be re-appointed from the former cabinet.

Advertisements
Continue Reading

Categories

Facebook

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call: Mobile Phone:+234 805 0498 544. Online Editor: Tunde Sulaiman Mobile Phone: 0805 0498 544; Email: tunsul2@gmail.com. Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: