Connect with us

     

Metro and Crime

9 Nigerians killed in Libyan strike

Published

on

9 Nigerians killed in Libyan strike

Nine Nigerians were among the 44 persons killed in early morning airstrike on migrant detention centre in Libya.

 

The migrants were reportedly killed last Wednesday at a detention centre in Tajoura, east of Tripoli in Libya. The airstrike on the Tajoura Detention Centre, where about 600 people were being held, came less than two months after another airstrike landed less than 100 meters from the centre, injuring two.

 

In addition to those killed, IOM said more than 180 others staying in the same detention centre were registered to return to their home countries through the U.N. agency’s voluntary migrant return programme, which helps arrange their documents and transport.

 

IOM has moved around 40,000 migrants out of Libya through the same programme. Chairman, Nigerians in Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Mrs. Abike Dabiri-Erewa, who disclosed this while condoling with the families of the deceased said it was regrettable that migrants survived a treacherous journey only to be killed in someone else’s war in Libya  Dabiri-Erewa said it was painful that the affected Nigerians, who were due to be airlifted back to Nigeria, were cut down in their prime

 

The NIDCOM boss reiterated her calls for Nigerians especially the youth to shun movement into hostile countries, and if they must travel, go legally with a legitimate mission to those countries. Dabiri-Erewa prayed for the repose of the souls of all that died in the airstrike and sent condolence message to the families of the victims.

 

She noted that over 13000 migrants had been brought home so far from Libya, and thanked the International Organisation for Migration (IOM), National Emergency Management Agency (NEMA) and other international agencies involved in the evacuation of the migrants. She also called on the UN to hasten up in the protection of other detention centres from such attacks. It was learnt that some of those killed had been profiled to leave the country in the coming days

Advertisements
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Categories

Facebook

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call: Mobile Phone:+234 805 0498 544. Online Editor: Tunde Sulaiman Mobile Phone: 0805 0498 544; Email: tunsul2@gmail.com. Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: