Tragedy struck Irewe community in Ojo Local Government Area of Lagos State late Tuesday when a boat capsized, leaving 3 dead, scores missing including a baby.
Although the exact time of the incident could not be ascertained but New Telegraph reliably learnt that the tragic incident occurred at about 6:10pm when two passenger boats had a head on collision along the creek in Ojo.
Although the exact numbers of the passengers in the two boats could not be confirmed but it also learnt that there were 10 passengers in a boat coming from Ojo jetty and eight passengers in the other coming from the Irewe community when the incident occurred.
But as at the time of filing this report, 13 passengers had been rescued, while three were confirmed dead and two, comprising an adult and a baby, were still missing.
Although there were fears that more passengers might still be missing since the exact number of people in the boats were unknown.
Confirming the incident, the General Manager, Lagos State Waterways Agency, LASWA, Oluwadamilola Emmanuel said that search and rescue operation was still ongoing by relevant state agencies and the local community who were the first responders.
According to him, preliminary investigations by the authority revealed that the incident was caused due to reckless driving on the part of the boat captains as one of them was said not to have been on the right side of the river.
The LASWA boss assured that further investigations would be thoroughly carried out by the Authority and those found wanting will be sanctioned accordingly.
Bayelsa FRSC organises enlightenment campaign for religous bodies
Pauline Onyibe, Yenagoa
The Federal Road Safety Corps, Bayelsa State Command at the weekend organised an enlightenment campaign for religious bodies on how best to control traffic during their worship programmes.
The enlightenment campaign brought together members of different churches and mosques who are traffic wardens in their different places of worship while officers from police, road safety, Navy, VIO among others were brought as resources persons to enlighten them more on how best to do the job.
Speaking at the event, which took place in Yenagoa, the Sector Commander, Ikechukwu Igwe in his opening remarks maintained that the command decided to put up the programme because of what they have observed in these religious organisations.
He said it was a kind of proactive measure to avoid fatal accidents within any of the worship centres adding that they noticed that some of the people that control traffics within those worship centres were not properly trained.
He said: “A times they get confused and get the populace confused through the way they behave and a times they don’t know where to tell vehicles to drop or pick up worshipers. So we decided to call them together to enlighten them.
“Most of them don’t know how to cross children on the road and the elderly people. A time, their attention is focused only on motorists. They don’t know that the pedestrians are also road users.”
Also speaking, the Deputy Commissioner of Police Bayelsa State, Selem Vincent Amachree advised road users to be safety conscious.
Man who regained sight after 21 years to enroll in school, says father
Mr Eli Humoshe, the father of the 24-year-old Edmond Eli who regained his vision after 21 years said his son who missed school over the years would be enrolled for adult education.
News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Edmond, who went blind at three years old, regained his sight over the weekend following a free surgery offered him and many others at the just concluded one week Medical Out-Reach.
The outreach was sponsored by Sen. Binos Yaroe (Adamawa South), at the LCCN Referral Centre in Demsa town the headquarters of Demsa LG of Adamawa.
Speaking on Sunday on his plan for his son, Humoshe said the blindness had robbed him of the opportunity to get education making him a reserved person who hardly talked.
“As you can see now he is still quite and just starring at things.
“I and overwhelmed with joy and short of words on how to appreciate God, Sen. Binos and the doctors for this miracle.
“My plan for him after he fully recovers is to enroll him in adult education,” said Humoshe.
He disclosed that the problem started when Edmond was just three years in Kpasham village of Demsa LG where he returned home claiming that some boys put sand into his eyes.
“We took him to local clinic and General Hospital Numan where we were referred to Kano but could not go due to lack of Money.
“That’s how we continued to manage him as he completely lost his sight up till now that we heard about the free medical outreach organised my the senator,” Humoshe said.
Also speaking, the Head of the Eye Unit at the medical out reach, Dr Ugochukwu Anunwa, said the operation was performed by a consultant who identified the caused of the problem as juvenile cataract.
Anunwa said during the one-week medical outreach about 200 successful surgeries were conducted mostly for cataracts and pterygium.
Commenting, Sen. Yaroe said he was also excited and remained fulfilled seeing Edmond and other patients getting the treatment they were yearning for to be like other normal people.
“I am a very happy person and I am thankful to God and all volunteer medical personnel that came for this Out-Reach.
“For me it is like testing the waters and the way people received it.
“The joy on the faces of beneficiaries and their relations is something that cannot be quantified which encourages me to do more.
“We are planning to organise another out-reach; in fact we are already talking with some partners in U.S. that have expressed their desire to also join us in future out-reach,” Yaroe said.
The senator said he organised the exercise in collaboration with an NGO, Soteria-Afrique Rural Healthcare Initiative, and the Christian Broadcasting Network.
NAN reports that statistics from the hospital showed that a total of 8,030 patients were attended to during the free medical outreach.
Police: Gunmen attack mourners in Benue, kill 4
The Benue Police Command has confirmed the killing of four persons in the early hours of Saturday at a burial in Tongov district of Katsina-Ala Local Government Area.
The commissioner of Police in the state, Mr Mukaddas Garba, told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Makurdi, that incident occurred during the burial of one late Tor Amaafu.
Garba said the police had commenced investigation into the matter, assuring that the perpetrators would be brought to book.
He urged the public to assist the police with relevant information that would lead to the culprits’ arrest.
An eyewitness said that the gunmen, who numbered over 10, opened fire on the mourners and killed many while others sustained injuries in the process.
Road crash claims 1 on Lagos-Ibadan highway
The Ogun State Command of the Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) says one person lost his life in a road crash at Danco, near Sagamu, on the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway.
The Sector Commander, Mr Clement Oladele, told News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Saturday in Ota that the accident happened at about 8.00 p.m on Friday.
Oladele explained that a Toyota SUV, with registration number GGE 30 DF, was coming from Lagos when the driver lost control due to speeding.
He said that the driver veered off the road, somersaulted and crashed into a parked bus.
“The corpse of the victim has been deposited at the mortuary of Idera Hospital in Sagamu, Ogun State,” he said.
The FRSC boss advised motorists to obey traffic rules and regulations to avoid avoidable road crashes and its attendant fatalities.
Sanwo-Olu appoints 9 new Permanent Secretaries
*GM LASTMA, ex-LASBCA GM make list
Lagos State Governor, Mr. Babajide Sanwo-Olu has appointed the General Manager of the Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), Mr. Musa Mooruf Olawale and the immediate past General Manager of the Lagos State Building Control Agency (LASBCA), Engr. Sodeinde Olalekan Nurudeen and seven others Permanent Secretaries.
Sunday Telegraph learnt that their appointments take effect from Monday. According to the circular, the newly appointed senior officers’ deployment would be made known “in due course”.
The appointment notification was contained in a signed circular by the State Head of Service (HoS), Mr. Hakeem Muri-Okunola with Ref. No. CIR/HoS/ ’19/Vol.1/052, dated August 16, 2019, which were copied to the state deputy governor, Dr. Obafemi Hamzat and the Speaker, Lagos State House of Assembly, Mudashiru Ajayi Obasa.
According to the circular, the appointment was “in furtherance of the present administration’s resolve to continually strengthen the State Public Service towards achieving excellence in the quality of service delivery in the state.”
The appointees are: Director, Service Matters, Public Service Office, Mrs. Sanyaolu Kikelomo Morenike; Director, Public Prosecution, Ministry of Justice, Mrs. Shitta-Bey Titilayo Khadijat; Director, Administration and HR, Ministry of Water Front Infrastructure Development, Mrs. Durosimi-Etti Olorunkemi and the Director, Establishments, Local Governments, Establishment Training Office Mrs. Kalesanwo Olayemi Yewande.
Others are: Director, Civil Engineering, LASURA, Engr. Agoro Moruf Olawale; Director, Environmental Service, Ministry of Environment, Mrs. Odeneye Belinda; Director, Administration and HR, Audit Service Commission, Mr. Olawale Mesewaku Babatunde.
Alleged rape: Court remands randy soldier in prison
After two days in police custody for the alleged rape of a student of the Ondo State-owned Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba Akoko (AAUA), a Magistrate’s Court yesterday sent a randy soldier, Lance Corporal Sunday Awolola, to prison custody. Already, Awolola has been dismissed by authorities of the Nigerian Army for allegedly raping a 300-level student of the AAUA.
He was remanded in police custody when he was brought to the court on Wednesday. However, the 33-year-old dismissed soldier was remanded in prison following his re-arraignment before the Magistrate’s Court yesterday.
Awolola, who was attached to the 32 Artillery Brigade, Akure was alleged to have raped a female student from the Department of Religious and African Studies of the university at a military checkpoint in Ikare-Akoko, the headquarters of the Akoko North-East Local Government Area of Ondo State, on July 31.
The crime, according to the prosecutor, Inspector Adeoye Adesegun, is contrary to Section 357 and punishable under Section 358 of the criminal code cap 37 vol. Laws of the Ondo State of Nigeria At the court proceeding, the prosecutor told the court that the case file had been transferred to the Director of Public Prosecution of the Ondo State Ministry of Justice for legal advice
He also prayed the court to remand the accused person in prison custody pending the outcome of the DPP’s legal advice on the matter. But the lawyer to the accused, Kayode Ikotun, who filed an affidavit against the application, said the court has no jurisdiction to hear the case.
Ikotun, who prayed that the accused person should be granted bail due to his health challenge, argued that the ill – health, which led to his redeployment from Borno State to Ondo State two months ago. He also argued that the defendant’s wife is a nursing mother of two-month-old baby.
The court presided over by Magistrate Mayomi Olanipekun refused the bail application and ordered that Awolola should be remanded in prison custody pending the outcome of the advice from the office of the Director of Public Prosecution.
The case was subsequently adjourned to November 15. Counsel to the complainant, Olubunmi Akinola, expressed satisfaction with the process, stressing that all that the victim wanted was justice
JAMB nabs UTME candidate for tampering with result
The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) yesterday nabbed one Kingsley Unekwe for tampering with his result obtained at the last Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME) from an original score of 201 to 269.
Unekwe, who had feigned ignorance of his crime, however, confessed to have tampered with the original result in the presence of his mother and officials of JAMB in Abuja.
Although he appealed to the board for clemency, the JAMB Registrar, Prof. Is-haq Oloyede, said not only would his result be withdrawn, but Unekwe would be handed over to security agencies for prosecution.
Oloyede who explained that Unekwe edited the original score allocated to him by the board and presented it to his parents as the original result, lamented that he was among candidates attempting to damage the image of the board. He said: “Anybody who does post-result infraction will have their results withdrawn by the board. You are the fifth person.
Two of them are already being prosecuted because we showed them clearly that they forged their results to deceive their parents who are desperate, like your parents, are to study medicine. “We will prosecute you for attempting to damage the image of the board. We told your father that we have all the facts, if we find out that the facts are not correct you will be prosecuted.”
Lagos raises the alarm over possible outbreak of Meningitis
…flags off Men-A Meningitis vaccination
The Lagos State Government yesterday raised the alarm over the possible outbreak of meningitis in the state, saying that continuous daily influx of people into state from different parts of the country called for safety precaution.
As a result, the state government warned parents, guardians and other caregivers to ensure that their wards participate in the ongoing immunisation against the deadly diseases, saying that the vaccine is going to be administered alongside measles and yellow fever vaccines.
Speaking at the flag off of Men – A meningitis vaccine in the state held at Primary Health Centre, Mushin, the Permanent Secretary, Lagos State Primary Health Care Board (PHCB), Dr. Tayo Lawal, appealed to all mothers not to be apprehensive and allow their children to be given three injections at the same time. He explained that the vaccines are all safe and do not cause any disease, adding that it is lifetime protection vaccines that far outweighs little discomfort the children may feel.
According to him, all the vaccines are free in all government owned hospitals, explaining that meningitis is an infectious disease affecting the lining of the brain and capable of causing serious fatalities.
The permanent secretary added that many organisms cause meningitis, including viruses, fungi and bacteria. He said: “For bacterial meningitis, the most common cause is Neisseria Meningitis, Meningitis is known to commence at the peak of the dry season and stops abruptly in the rainy season. People of all ages can be affected with the bacteria, children between the ages of 5 and14 years being the most vulnerable.’’
Lawal added that zero – type A is responsible for most of the epidemic in the Meningitis belt, but with the introduction of Men – A vaccine in West African countries within the belt, there has been a remarkable decline in the incidence of the disease. With the introduction of the vaccine into the national immunisation schedule, the incidence of the epidemics will further decline greatly.
He disclosed explained that signs and symptoms of Meningitis include; severe headache of sudden onset, high grade fever, nausea, vomiting, irritability, neck stiffness, convulsion and loss of consciousness, complications include arthritis, hearing impairment, seizures, mental retardation, paralysis, and death
. He said: “Lagos State Primary Health Care Board is positioned and ready to deliver quality basic health care services to the people of Lagos State.
A’Ibom communities, PHEDC bicker over protest
A youth group in Akwa Ibom State, Itu Youth Development Forum (IYDF), has denied allegations by the management of Power Holding Electricity Distribution Company (PHEDC) that its leader, Ubong Akpan, incited protest and barricade of the Afaha Ube Power Transmission station yesterday to achieve his self-aggrandizement.
According to a statement signed by their leaders and made available to journalist in Uyo, the group described the allegations as misleading and unfounded given that the said protest was not embarked upon by West Itam youth alone as claimed by PHEDC, but the entire youths of the 79 villages in Itu Local Government Area.
The statement reads: “The atten tion of Itu Youths Development Forum has been drawn to the fake news being peddled and propagated by management of Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution PHED, claiming that Obong Ubong Akpan has been making personal demands from them and that because they failed to meet his demand he decided to organise a protest.
“There is a deliberate attempt by the incompetent PHEDC management to mislead the uninformed citizens of our state and we wish to draw the attention of the Presidency, National Assembly, Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, Security agencies and the general public to the following facts.
“In April 2019, a stakeholders meeting was held at the palace of the Paramount of Itu local government area, and a team from PHED, the Council Chairman, Head of DSS Itu, the two DPOs in Itu, the media, Chairmen of the 79 village Councils were present
Kidnapped College Provost regains freedom in Benue –Police
The Benue State Police Command yesterday said the kidnapped Provost of College of Education, Katsina-Ala, Benue State, Tsavwua Gborigyo, has regained freedom. The command’s Police Public Relations Office (PPRO), DSP. Catherine Anene, said the provost was reunited with his family late Thursday evening.
The provost was kidnapped at Ihugh in Vandiekya Local Government Area on his way from a burial ceremony on August 9.
Anene disclosed that the provost was released without payment of any ransom, while stating that investigations were ongoing to apprehend the kidnappers and other criminal elements terrorising the state with a promise to shield the informant with relevant information. The entire Sankera axis, compromising Ukum, Logo and Katsina- Ala local government areas, has been witnessing criminalities in the recent time.
Sunday Extra14 hours ago
Tears, blood, anguish as government bulldozers move into Lagos markets, shanties
Sunday Extra14 hours ago
Nobody can use Middle Belt to fight civil war again –Dr. Pogu
News14 hours ago
ABU Alumni dominate Buhari’s cabinet
Politics15 hours ago
APC will regain victory in Benue, says Rep Dyegh
Body & Soul15 hours ago
Shina Peller’s hangout attracts concern
News20 hours ago
IPOB: We attacked Ike Ekweremadu in Germany
News14 hours ago
Gunmen invade wake, kill over 20 mourners in Benue
Politics14 hours ago
The people rejected Okorocha, family before elections –Imo PDP spokesman