Connect with us

     

Metro and Crime

Flood destroys 200 houses, farmlands in Bauchi

Published

on

Flood destroys 200 houses, farmlands in Bauchi

Flood accompanying a downpour has destroyed about 200 houses and farmlands in Shira and Zaki local government areas of Bauchi State.

The Director, Relief and Rescue, State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA), Kabiru Kobi, confirmed the incident in a telephone interview with journalists, but said he could not give the exact number of houses affected.

Kobi said that in Zaki, over 200 houses were affected even though inventory of many other houses was ongoing while in Shira, the number was not yet known.

He said: “I don’t have the exact number but definitely, the number is high. We have not yet finished compiling the whole report, but I can tell you that the damage is severe. In Zaki, we so far have 200 houses affected.

“The houses are very many. We are currently taking inventory of the number of houses destroyed and submerged by the flood in the two local government areas, and some of the houses are still falling down. Because of that, I cannot give you the exact number or the level of damage.”

The director said that the incident was as a result of flooding caused by the lack of drainages in the two local government areas and also overflow of a river in Zaki which was full with not channel to drain its water.

Governor Bala Mohammed, who visited the places affected by the flood in the two local government areas on Saturday, pledged to offer immediate assistance to the victims.

Mohammed was represented by the Speaker, Bauchi State House of Assembly, Abubakar Sulaiman.

During a visit to the District Head of Disina, Alhaji Abdullahi Mustapha, in company with top government officials, he said that in order to ensure timely government intervention, SEMA was already conducting assessment of the damage caused by the disaster.

The governor sympathised with the victims of the disaster and urged them to consider it as an act of God.

The District Head of Disina told the governor that the major challenges facing the area was flood and appealed for government’s support in that direction.

The district head called for immediate construction of culverts and drainages to avert reoccurrence of the incident.

While in Zaki, the governor expressed shock on the number of houses and properties affected by the disaster.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro and Crime

Ultimatum to herdsmen: Imo disowns group, urges public to disregard ultimatum 

Published

on

Ultimatum to herdsmen: Imo disowns group, urges public to disregard ultimatum 

The Government of Imo State has disowned an ultimatum issued by a Group, under the aegis of Coalition of South East Youth Leaders, giving herdsmen in the state 24 hours to vacate.
According to a statement issued by the Chief Press Secretary to the Governor, Chibuike Onyeukwu, the group lacks legitimacy to speak for the state.
Onyeukwu described the report of the ultimatum as an embarrassment to the government and people of the state, urging members of the public to disregard it.
The statement read in part: “The group, led by one Goodluck Ibem, relied on an alarm allegedly raised by the management of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri, accusing herdsmen of destroying their farm lands and crops, among other concerns.
“The Government of Imo State, under the leadership of Rt. Hon. Emeka Ihedioha hereby dissociates itself and the entire good people of the state from the said ultimatum to herdsmen in the state.
“Imo State government is embarrassed by the development and has taken steps to prevent breakdown of law and order in the state.”
Onyeukwu said that efforts are being made to address the concerns raised by the management of the Federal University of Technology, Owerri and stressed that the Governor Emeka Ihedioha administration shall not tolerate individuals taking laws into their hands

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Car dealers lay siege at Customs office, protest sealing of businesses

Published

on

Car dealers lay siege at Customs office, protest sealing of businesses

Automobile dealers on Monday took to the streets of Lagos to protest the sealing of their businesses by the Nigerian Customs Service (NCS).
The car dealers, under the aegis of Automobile Dealers Friends Association, claimed that their business premises were sealed as a  result of a crackdown on cars suspected to have been smuggled through the land borders, which began on September 30, 2019.
Over 100 protesting members of the Association had from 10am walked from Awolowo Road Ikeja to the Lagos State House of Assembly.
The peaceful protest started at the office of the Federal Operations Unit of the NCS at Mobolaji Bank Anthony Way, Ikeja.
At the NCS office, Mr Morgan Ogbede, the Chairman of the Association and other executives engaged in a closed-door meeting with Mr Mohammed Aliyu, the Comptroller Federal Operations Unit Zone A and other officials of the NCS.
At the end of the meeting, the Comptroller addressed the protesters telling them that their grievances will be addressed.
Speaking on what led to the protest, Ogbede gave an insight into his meetings with officials of the House of Assembly and the NCS.
He said the NCS had promised to unseal their shops if the required duties were paid on allegedly smuggled cars.

 

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Judge to mother of alleged rapist: ‘Mentor your son to desist from sodomy’

Published

on

Judge to mother of alleged rapist: ‘Mentor your son to desist from sodomy’

Justice Abiola Soladoye of an Ikeja Sexual Offences and Domestic Violence Court, Lagos Monday told a widow, whose 19-year-old son was accused of sodomizing a minor, to mentor her son in order for him to desist from such acts.
The 19-year-old, Chinedu Ezebuka, was docked for allegedly sodomising a 13-year-old secondary school student (name withheld).
Ezebuka, a mechanic, was arraigned on March 25 on a one-count charge of sexual assault by penetration contrary to Section 261 of the Criminal Law of Lagos 2015.
According to the State Prosecutor, Mrs Arinola Momoh-Ayokanbi, the defendant committed the offence at 8pm on January 9,  2018 at Akinwunmi Street, Ikeja.
“He sexually assaulted the minor by penetrating him through the anus.
“The mechanic was allegedly caught in the act of defiling the minor by a member of the public who reported the offence to authorities,” Momoh-Ayokanbi said.
However, Justice Soladoye admonished the mother of the accused after the prosecutor told the court that the parents of the complainant and other witnesses were no longer interested in pursuing the case.
The judge, addressing the widow, said: “You need to talk to your son, pray with him, guide him and spend quality time with him. God is a God of second chances.
“Get your church involved, get an elderly person in your neighbourhood to also mentor him. You cannot abandon him, for he is your tomorrow.”

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Kwara civil service, firefighters get 27 operational vehicles

Published

on

Kwara civil service, firefighters get 27 operational vehicles

Kwara State Governor AbdulRahman AbdulRazaq on Monday presented 27 new operational vehicles to the state civil service, including the State Fire Service, saying the gesture was to strengthen efficient service delivery and conducive working atmosphere.
“We present these to them to make their job easier. Civil servants are entering taxis and okadas to perform their duties. That is not good enough. This will boost their performance capability. We saw that there is a need to mobilise them and make them more functional,” AbdulRazaq told reporters in Ilorin, the state capital, shortly after handing over the keys of the vehicles to the Kwara State Head of Service (HOS), Susan Modupe Oluwole.
The governor said the government purchased the 300-litre capacity modern firefighting vehicles for the Fire Service to empower it to operate more effectively during fire outbreaks in order to save lives and properties.
“We procured these fire fighting equipment because of the safety of lives and property. It is important we safeguard lives and property. The firefighters have been selfless in what they do to the government and people of the state. So, we need to build their capacity and keep them up to the task,” he said.
He said another set of fire fighting equipment have been ordered and would soon be delivered as part of the government’s effort to strengthen the capacity of the state to combat fire incident.
“Plans are underway by the Federal Government to set up Fire Training Institute in Kwara State to build the capacity of fire fighting officers,” he said.
The vehicles comprised 15 Toyota Hillux vans; five Coaster Buses; five Hiace Buses; and two Hilux pick-up with Fire equipment.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

At last, Lagos evacuates lion to Lekki Zoo

Published

on

At last, Lagos evacuates lion to Lekki Zoo

Officials of the Lagos State Task Force, in conjunction veterinary doctors from the Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture, have succeeded in moving the lion found at a private home around Victoria Island to a zoo in Omu Resorts, Lekki.
There had been palpable fear at No. 229, Muri Okunola Street,Victoria Island area following discovery of the two-year-old big cat in one of the apartments by some residents.
New Telegraph learnt that an Indian, whose identity has not been ascertained as at the time of filing this report, owns the lion. He was said to have told the property owner that he wanted to rent the apartment for his own use but did not live there. Instead, he rented it for the lion.
Dissatisfied with cohabiting with a lion, it was learnt that residents of the building subsequently petitioned the Commissioner for the Environment Mr Tunji Bello on the development, calling for the immediate evacuation of the wild animal for their safety.
Speaking on the evacuation of the lion, Taskforce Chairman, CSP Olayinka Egbeyemi confirmed that the exercise was carried out in conjunction with officials of the Lagos State Ministry of Agriculture and medical personnel from the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, University of Ibadan.
Speaking further, Egbeyemi said that Dr. Ogunmo Bamidele, who led the medical team from the University of Ibadan, had to tranquilize the lion thrice before evacuation.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Officials drug, evacuate Lagos lion

Published

on

Officials drug, evacuate Lagos lion

Muritala Ayinla

Lagos State officials on Monday tranquilized and evacuated the lion found in the home of a person living at No. 229, Muri Okunola Street,Victoria Island.

Details later…

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Court sentences 3 to jail for impersonation, criminal conspiracy

Published

on

Court sentences 3 to jail for impersonation, criminal conspiracy

A Magistrates’ Court in Minna has sentenced three men to two years imprisonment for engaging in cheating by impersonation and criminal conspiracy.
The men are Alhaji Tijajani Sarki Abdullahi, who is the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Zumunta marketing and Construction company limited, Musa Umar and Adamu Magaji both from Zumba village in Shiroro Local Government Area.
They were docked on a four-count charge of criminal conspiracy, cheating by impersonation, criminal misappropriation and mischief, contrary to Sections 97, 324, 309 and 327 of the Penal Code.
The complainants, which include the Commissioner of Police, Niger State told the court that a complaint was received from Moses Makeri, Sokoto Muhammadu and Ibrahim Makeri that the land of the subject matter where the convicts illegally mined ‘woframites’ (precious stones) is located at Patuko village near Zumba in Shiroro Local Government Area of Niger State.
In his ruling, Magistrate Murtala M.B. Ibrahim sentenced the men to two years imprisonment or to pay a fine of N60, 000 each.
They were also ordered to pay the sum of N50,000 as compensation to the Nominal Complaints and in default of payment they are to serve three months without option of fine.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Perm Sec, pregnant wife, two kids burnt to death in Benue — Police

Published

on

Perm Sec, pregnant wife, two kids burnt to death in Benue — Police

The Acting Permanent Secretary, State Ministry of Energy, Science and Technology, Mr Seker Akaa, his pregnant wife and two kids were burnt to death in a fire incident in Makurdi early hours of Monday.

The Police Public Relations Officer in Benue State, Deputy Superintendent of Police Sewuese Anene confirmed the inferno to the News Agency of Nigeria in Makurdi.

Anene said the fire started at 2.40 a.m at Kwarafa Quarters, Makurdi.

NAN reports that three other flats were also burnt including the resident of Evangelist Daniel Unongo, Chaplain of Benue Government House, who is also Senior Special Assistant to Gov. Samuel Ortom on Religion.

Anene said Mr Akaa, his pregnant wife, Linda, two children; Sender and Tertsegh Akaa, all occupants of Flat 1 were burnt to death during the fire disaster.

She said that the dead bodies had been deposited at the Federal Medical Centre, Makurdi mortuary.

The police spokesperson said the cause of the fire accident was yet to be known, saying “investigation into the matter had already commenced”.

The Deputy Governor, Mr Benson Abounu, who immediately visited the scene, expressed shock at the level of destruction and loss of human lives.

According to Abounu, it is a black day for Benue and the state has lost a prized asset in Akaa.

He prayed to God to give the family the fortitude to bear the irreparable loss.

“We cannot undo what has happened. At the moment, the government will take responsibility for their burial and assist the other families to relocate. We warn against any looting of property.” Abounu said

The Commissioner, Energy, Science Technology, Dr Godwin Oyiwona also confirmed the incident and expressed the ministry’s deepest condolences.

NAN gathered from an eyewitness, who refused to be named, that the fire started in flat 1 the residence of the late acting permanent secretary.

He said the perm sec and his family would have been saved but because of the incessant cases of armed robbery recorded within the neighbourhood, the neighbours thought it was armed robbers that were operating again.

“Actually the fire started at Mr Akaa’s house, we would have saved him and his family but we thought it was armed robbers that were again attacking us.

“You see armed robbers attack us here regularly. So, we have adopted ways of self-defence by providing burglary protection on the doors to prevent them from getting easy access inside, that too caused delay of getting to them on time,” it said.

The witness said firefighters from Benue Government House, Makurdi, came to the scene on time but they had little to do to save them.

NAN reports that though the cause of the inferno remained unknown, eyewitnesses said it might have been caused by electrical fault as it razed down the entire house and extended to three other houses.

NAN further reports that the fire was still burning as of the time of filing the report.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Man shoots brother after mistaking him for deer

Published

on

Man shoots brother after mistaking him for deer

A man shot his brother after mistaking him for an injured deer in a hunting accident in Michigan on Saturday.

The incident occurred after the men went looking for a deer that one brother had shot earlier with a muzzle-loading rifle, reported the Ionia County Sheriff’s Office on its Facebook page.

The shooter, a 29-year-old man from Saranac, told authorities that he believed he saw the deer moving and fired, but after firing realized he had struck his 28-year-old brother.

He called 911 immediately for help and the two siblings walked out of the dense corn field where they were hunting and were met by first responders, reported ABC Grand Rapids affiliate, WZZM13.

The victim was flown to Spectrum Butterworth Hospital in serious but stable condition.

The exact cause of the shooting remains under investigation, but all persons involved have been cooperative with authorities, according to the sheriff department’s Facebook post.

Friday was the opening day of firearms deer season in the state.

*Courtesy: ABC News

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

US: Four dead in mass shooting during football party

Published

on

US: Four dead in mass shooting during football party

Ten people were shot and four of them were killed Sunday at a party in Fresno when suspects sneaked into the backyard and fired into the crowd, police said.

The shooting took place about 6pm on the city’s southeast side while people were gathered to watch a football game.

Deputy Chief Michael Reid said a total of 10 people were shot, with three people being found dead in the backyard, reports metro.co.uk.

A fourth victim died at the hospital. Six others are expected to survive and are recovering at the hospital, police said. Fresno Police Lt Bill Dooley said: “What we do know is that this was a gathering, a family and friend gathering in the backyard.

“Everyone was watching football this evening when unknown suspects approached the residence, snuck into the backyard and opened fire.”

Others were taken to Community Regional Medical Center in critical condition, and some are in critical but stable condition, the TV stations reported.

No suspect is in custody.

Agents from the U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives field office in San Francisco are responding to the shooting, the Bee reported.

It was at least the second fatal gun attack Sunday in southeast Fresno, the Bee reported.

A man in his 20s was shot to death early Sunday at a home in another part of the city.

Police have not said whether the incidents could be connected

Continue Reading

Categories

Facebook

 

 

 

 

 

ABUJA MAN REVEALS (FREE) SECRET FRUITS THAT INCREASED MANHOOD AND LASTING POWER IN 7DAYS

 

… CLICK HERE TO GET IT!

 

 

 

BUA Adverts

Trending

%d bloggers like this: