Connect with us

     

BREAKING NEWS

Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas

Published

on

Scores dead, secretariat, houses razed as Boko Haram overrun Borno areas

Two Local Government Areas of Gubio and Magumeri in Northern Borno Senatorial District are currently under the control of Boko Haram when the insurgents in their large number launched a coordinated attack on the communities beginning from Wednesday evening through Thursday morning without confrontation.

Both Gubio and Magumeri have no military presence as troops were withdrawn recently for routine operational changes as enshrined in the Rules of Engagement.

It was learnt that hundreds of thousands of residents have been displaced while others are under the captivity of insurgents, especially those who chose not to flee the attacks.

In Gubio, the insurgents on Wednesday evening invaded the Council Headquarters shooting sporadically, posing fear that scores of residents were killed and injured with setting ablaze of houses, an online news portal Nigeria Newsdesk is reporting.

Confirming the incident, the Caretaker Chairman of Gubio, Hon Zanna Modu Gubio said, the insurgents stormed Gubio town at about 6 pm, performed their maghrib prayers at about 6:30 pm and wreaked havoc on innocent civilians with setting ablaze houses and public structures.

The Caretaker Chairman, who spoke to newsmen while in Maiduguri during the attack, said: “It is unfortunate that a week after deadly attack which took place in Gubio that led to the withdrawal of troops, another armed insurgent stormed Gubio town at about 6 pm, performed their maghrib prayers at about 6:30 pm in Gubio Mosque before wrecked havoc on innocent civilians with setting ablaze of houses and public structures.

“I am presently in Maiduguri for the swearing-in ceremony of the newly appointed Commissioners, and all of a sudden, I started receiving distress calls that my people are under Boko Haram attack.

“Although I cannot give you the actual number of casualties for now, from all indications and the reports I have so far, the insurgents have taken over Gubio shooting at sight and burning structures without confrontation,” Gubio lamented.

Also in Magumeri, the insurgents, before taking over, succeeded in razing down the Council Secretariat, other public structures and residential houses including that of the Member Federal House of Representatives of Gubio, Magumeri and Kaga Federal Constituency, Hon. Usman Zannah.

Speaking to newsmen on Thursday Morning, Hon. Zannah who represent the constituency at the lower chamber said, “Two Local Government Areas of Gubio and Magumeri where I hail from have been overrun by Boko Haram.

“As I speak, all good houses in Gubio and Magumeri have been set ablaze including my House and the Council Secretariat. My people have been displaced, and there is nothing we can do than to bring survivors into Maiduguri.

“It is unfortunate that the insurgents took advantage of troops withdrawal from the affected areas and wreaked havoc without confrontation.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

BREAKING NEWS

JUST IN: Osinbajo presides over National Economic Council meeting

Published

on

By

JUST IN: Osinbajo presides over National Economic Council meeting

Vice President Yemi Osinbajo on Thursday presided over the monthly National Economic Council (NEC) meeting at the State House, Abuja.

In a tweet by Mr. Laolu Akande, the spokesperson to Prof. Osinbajo, NEC is the constitutional body that advises the President on the coordination of the economic affairs of the country.

He noted that state governors, the Central Bank of Nigeria Governor, Mr. Godwin Emefiele and some members of the Federal Executive Council were in attendance.

“Vice President Yemi Osinbajo is now presiding over the monthly National Economic Council, NEC meeting with state governors, CBN governor and some members of the FEC,” he tweeted.

He then added that: “NEC is the constitutional body that advises the President on the coordination of economic affairs of the Nigerian federation.

“NEC under the leadership of Prof Osinbajo between 2015 to April 2019 passed 173 resolutions in 38 meetings.

“Some of the resolutions include the approval of $650 million seed funding as the Federal Government established Presidential Infrastructure Development Fund.

“NEC also approved Community Policing in Nigeria as well as synergy among security agencies in a bid to improve intelligence gathering and end internal security crisis which included kidnapping.

“The Council approved the National Transformation Livestock Plan (NLTP) which was launched by the Vice President in Adamawa on September 10.

“NEC under Osinbajo’s leadership approved Micro, Small and Medium Enterprises (MSME) clinics to help MSME with loans, materials and to make the process of doing business easy.”

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Court winds up P&ID, Nigerian affilliate, orders forfeiture of firms’ assets to FG

Published

on

By

Court winds up P&ID, Nigerian affilliate, orders forfeiture of firms’ assets to FG

The Federal High Court in Abuja on Thursday convicted and subsequently ordered the winding up of Process and Industrial Development Limited and its Nigerian affiliate, P&ID Nigeria Limited, for charges of fraud and tax evasion in respect of the contract leading to the recent controversial judgment of a British court empowering the firm to seize about $9.6bn worth of Nigerian assets.

Justice Inyang Ekwo, in his judgment also ordered the forfeiture of “the assets and properties” of the two firms to the Nigerian government.

The judge made the orders shortly after the two firms, through their representatives, pleaded guilty to the 11 counts instituted against them by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

While P&ID Limited incorporated in British Virgin Island was represented in the dock by its Commercial Director, Mohammad Kuchazi, P&ID Nigeria Limited was represented by Adamu Usman, who is also a lawyer.

Both men pleaded guilty on behalf of the companies to all the 11 counts read to them before Justice Ekwo on Thursday.

Kuchazi was represented by his lawyer, Dandison Akurunwua, while Usman represented himself.

They were accused of among others, fraudulently claiming to have acquired land from the Cross River State Government in 2010 for the gas supply project agreement which led to the $9.6bn judgment.

After the defendants pleaded guilty to the 11 counts, an EFCC investigator, Usman Babangida, was called to the witness box for review of facts which was not opposed by the defence.

The judge then went on to pronounce the two firms represented by the two men guilty.

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Wrestling: Nigeria’s Adekuoroye qualifies for Tokyo 2020

Published

on

By

Wrestling: Nigeria’s Adekuoroye qualifies for Tokyo 2020

Nigeria’s Odunayo Adekuoroye (57kg) is through to the semi finals of the 2019 Senior World Wrestling Championships in Kazakhstan after dismantling In Sun Jong of North Korea 12-2 via technical superiority.

She has qualified for the Tokyo 2020 Olympics as a result.

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Security operatives at SaharaReporters’ Lagos office

Published

on

By

Security operatives at SaharaReporters’ Lagos office

Policemen and soldiers are currently in front of the office of online news media outlet, SaharaReporters, in Lagos state.

The armed men have prevented reporters from gaining access to the building located at GRA in Ikeja, the state capital.

The publisher, Omoyele Sowore, is currently with the Department of State Services (DSS) over allegations of plotting trouble through his ‘Revolution Now’ campaign.

More details later…

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Oil prices surge after attack on Saudi facilities

Published

on

By

Oil prices surge after attack on Saudi facilities

Oil prices surged on Monday after two attacks on Saudi Arabian facilities on Saturday knocked out more than 5% of global supply.

Brent crude jumped 10% to $66.28 a barrel, while West Texas Intermediate rose 8.9% to $59.75 in Asian trading.

Prices pulled back slightly after US President Donald Trump authorised the release of US reserves.

The strike, which the US blames on Iran, has sparked fears of increased risk to energy supplies in the region.

The drone attacks on plants in the heartland of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry included hitting the world’s biggest petroleum-processing facility.

It could take weeks before the facilities are fully back on line. State oil giant Saudi Aramco said the attacks cut output by 5.7 million barrels per day.

Jeffrey Halley, senior market analyst at Oanda said the price spike across oil markets was a reaction to the “political and geopolitical implications” of the attacks.

“The bigger issue is just how secure is Saudi’s infrastructure from attacks?,” Mr Halley said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tehran was behind the attacks. Iran accused the US of “deceit.”

Later Mr Trump said in a tweet the US knew who the culprit was and was “locked and loaded” but waiting to hear from the Saudis about how they wanted to proceed.

The Saudis have not gone into any detail about the attacks, barring saying there were no casualties, but have given a few more indications about oil production.

Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said some of the fall in production would be made up by tapping huge storage facilities, reports the BBC.

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Oil prices surge after attack on Saudi facilities

Published

on

By

Oil prices surge after attack on Saudi facilities

Oil prices surged on Monday after two attacks on Saudi Arabian facilities on Saturday knocked out more than 5% of global supply.

Brent crude jumped 10% to $66.28 a barrel, while West Texas Intermediate rose 8.9% to $59.75 in Asian trading.

Prices pulled back slightly after US President Donald Trump authorised the release of US reserves.

The strike, which the US blames on Iran, has sparked fears of increased risk to energy supplies in the region.

The drone attacks on plants in the heartland of Saudi Arabia’s oil industry included hitting the world’s biggest petroleum-processing facility.

It could take weeks before the facilities are fully back on line. State oil giant Saudi Aramco said the attacks cut output by 5.7 million barrels per day.

Jeffrey Halley, senior market analyst at Oanda said the price spike across oil markets was a reaction to the “political and geopolitical implications” of the attacks.

“The bigger issue is just how secure is Saudi’s infrastructure from attacks?,” Mr Halley said.

US Secretary of State Mike Pompeo said Tehran was behind the attacks. Iran accused the US of “deceit.”

Later Mr Trump said in a tweet the US knew who the culprit was and was “locked and loaded” but waiting to hear from the Saudis about how they wanted to proceed.

The Saudis have not gone into any detail about the attacks, barring saying there were no casualties, but have given a few more indications about oil production.

Energy Minister Prince Abdulaziz bin Salman said some of the fall in production would be made up by tapping huge storage facilities, reports the BBC.

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Tribunal concludes and dismisses Atiku’s petition

Published

on

By

Tribunal concludes and dismisses Atiku’s petition
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Tribunal concludes and dismisses Atiku’s petition

Published

on

By

Tribunal concludes and dismisses Atiku’s petition
Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Tribunal concludes, dismisses Atiku’s petition

Published

on

By

Tribunal concludes, dismisses Atiku’s petition

Tribunal holds that INEC and APC did not abandon their pleadings by not calling witnesses.

Tribunal dismisses Atiku’s petition in its entirety.

It also holds that parties will bear their costs.

Other members of the five-man panel, currently pronouncing their own decisions on the petition.

Continue Reading

BREAKING NEWS

Tribunal concludes and dismisses Atiku’s petition

Published

on

By

Tribunal concludes and dismisses Atiku’s petition
Continue Reading

 

 

 

 

 

ABUJA MAN REVEALS (FREE) SECRET FRUITS THAT INCREASED MANHOOD AND LASTING POWER IN 7DAYS

 

… CLICK HERE TO GET IT!

 

 

 

Categories

Facebook

Trending

Take advantage of our impressive online traffic; advertise your brands and products on this site. For Advert Placement and Enquiries, Call: Mobile Phone:+234 805 0498 544. Online Editor: Tunde Sulaiman Mobile Phone: 0805 0498 544; Email: tunsul2@gmail.com. Copyright © 2018 NewTelegraph Newspaper.

%d bloggers like this: