Connect with us


Metro and Crime

Mother, two children, sister die as two buildings collapse in Lagos



Mother, two children, sister die as two buildings collapse in Lagos

*As petrol tanker tumbles, spills contents on Otedola Bridge

Tragedy yesterday struck in Lagos with two buildings collapsing in different parts of the state killing a mother, two children and her sister.


Sunday Telegraph learnt that the fatalities occurred the building that collapsed in the Magodo area of metropolis, while there were no casualties in the one that collapsed in Ikorodu.


In the Magodo incident, it was learnt that that the building caved in on Orisa Street leaving the woman, her children and sister dead.


This was even a fully loaded truck with 45000 litres of PMS tumbled on the Otedola Bridge, outward Lagos. The accident was the third to have occurred on the bridge in recent time.


Confirming the tragic incidences, the General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA), Dr Olufemi Oke-Osanyintolu, said that the building collapse occurred at Orisa Street, Magodo, adding that the four lives lost were the mother, her two children and another lady identified as the woman’s sister.


He confirmed that they were  trapped in the collapsed building, explaining  that a building on Otun Araromi in Orisa street suddenly collapsed from the top of the hill onto another building.


He said: ”On arrival at the scene it was discovered that a building on Otun Araromi in Orisa Street had suddenly collapsed from the top of the hill onto another building down the street. The effect of which led to four people killed.”


However, another building also collapsed at Ita Elewa, rea of Ikorodu yesterday.


Osanyintolu blamed the heavy downpour for the disaster, adding that the impact of the intense rainfall could be responsible for the Ikorodu incident.


”Further investigations revealed that aside the heavy downpour, the obviously old building constructed with mud bricks, had been seriously distressed over time with visible cracks on its other yet-to-collapse sides. The old storey building, which collapsed this morning at Rademo Street, behind Recreation Centre, Ita Elewa Ikorodu, has so far not recorded any loss of life, nor injuries as time of filling this report,” he said


He also said efforts were on to clear the Otedola Bridge of the tanker and its spilt contents in order to reduce the traffic gridlock along the axis.

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Metro and Crime

Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s rape suit against Fatoyinbo



Court dismisses Busola Dakolo’s rape suit against Fatoyinbo

…says case sentimental, empty λ We’ll appeal, says plaintiff’s counsel


An Abuja High Court sitting at Bwari yesterday dismissed the case of alleged rape filed by Mrs. Busola Dakolo, against the Senior Pastor of Commonwealth of Zion Assembly (COZA), Biodun Fatoyinbo.

The court, in its judgement, also exonerated Fatoyinbo, saying that the case of the plaintiff was purely sentimental and empty.

The court, however, awarded the cost of N1 million against Busola.

About five months ago, Busola, wife of Nigerian singer, Timi Dakolo, accused Fatoyinbo of raping her while she was a teenager.

She later approached the court to demand justice and compensation.

Precisely, Busola accused Fatoyinbo of raping her in 2002.

On his part, the COZA senior pastor filed an objection to the suit and supported it with an affidavit, saying that Busola’s statements were false and concocted to embarrass, scandalise and ridicule him.

He averred in the affidavit that from the inception, Busola sought the attention of the media and press, and brought the civil action even while the police investigation was ongoing.

According to him, her false claims were stale and an abuse of judicial process.

After parties adopted their briefs, the trial judge, Justice Othman Musa, held that the matter amounted to injustice, and an abuse of judicial process.

He further held that the case was purely sentimental and empty.

Musa awarded cost of N1 million  against Busola and held that it would have been 10 times more but resisted it because, according to him, there are women with legitimate claims who may approach the court for justice.

According to the court, the case carries more of cruelty in it than justice.

Before the judgement was delivered, Fatoyinbo had described the suit as frivolous and statute barred.

Fatoyinbo, through his counsel, Dr. Alex Izinyon, SAN, in a preliminary objection dated September 20, 2019, said the reliefs sought by Busola in the suit were not grantable, which made the suit incompetent.

Izinyon argued that the court lacked the jurisdiction to entertain the suit and that the suit was frivolous and a palpable abuse of court process.

In an affidavit deposed to by Ademola Adetuberu, Executive Senior Assistant to Fatoyinbo, he averred that  the substratum of the claimant’s suit was the mere purported  allegation of emotional and psychological distress as a result of the said purported mere allegation of rape against the defendant.

He further averred that the said purported mere allegation of rape was still a subject of investigation by the police.

In the substantive matter, Busola, through her counsel, Pelumi Olajengbesi, sought the order of the court to compel Fatoyinbo to publish a clearly worded apology to Busola on the front page of at least two national newspapers and two national television stations for seven days running consecutively.

However, Olajengbesi said they would appeal the judgement.

He said: “We have received several calls after the ruling of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory sitting at Bwari this morning (yesterday) seeking our view on the decision of the court, hence, this statement.

“The court ruled that the matter is statute-barred because the events that crystallised to the cause of action took place 16 years ago and that the claimant, Mrs. Busola Dakolo, has only six years within which to seek redress in court in line with the statute of limitation.

“While we acknowledge the time of the court, we know in accordance with the Nigerian judicial system that the court’s decision is not final as it is glaringly contestable. For all intent and purposes, having seen several sponsored misleading news reports in the media, we are duty-bound to state that the court has not and did not exonerate Biodun Fatoyinbo.

“As it stands, the substance of the matter has not received any judicial attention. Biodun Fatoyinbo, through his lawyers, has only argued that the court should not allow the matter to proceed to trial because it is an event that occurred long ago and hence out of time. We shall therefore in this circumstance approach a superior court to intervene for a better appreciation, and take a more expansive view of the suit considering that the subject matter is one that is novel in our clime.”

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Internet fraudster bags six months imprisonment in Ilorin



Internet fraudster bags six months imprisonment in Ilorin

Justice Sikiru Oyinloye of a Kwara State High Court sitting in Ilorin yesterday convicted a man, Abolarin Kayode, for internet fraud.

Kayode was prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC), Ilorin Zonal Office.

Oyinloye sentenced the convict to six months imprisonment.

Earlier, after his arraignment, the convict had pleaded with the commission for plea bargain, having considered his involvement in internet fraud and the proof of evidence gathered against him by the anti-graft body.

The amended charge reads: “That you,  Abolarin Kayode, on or about 6th day of February 2019, in Ilorin within the jurisdiction of the High Court of Kwara State, did attempt to cheat by impersonation, when you presented yourself as Dawn Groff and sent an email to one Gregory Carter, an American citizen through your acclaimed email, that Budweiser Drink is carrying out vehicle advertisement programme, a representation you knew to be false and thereby committed an offence contrary to Section 95 of the Penal Code and punishable under Section 324 of the same Penal Code.”

The convict pleaded guilty to the amended charge.

While reviewing the facts of the case, an operative of the EFCC, Olamide Sadiq, told the court that Kayode was arrested in Ilorin.

He said: “My lord, on the 4th of February 2019, based on intelligence reports, operatives of the commission arrested the defendant and others at Agric Estate in Ilorin for their involvement in internet scam. We analysed his phone and laptop and discovered that he created four emails for himself, the email conversations were printed in his presence and discovered that he sent several fraudulent messages to his victims, that was the circumstance in which I knew the defendant my lord.”

Delivering his judgement, Oyinloye said the prosecution had been able to prove its case beyond reasonable doubt.

According to him, the anti-graft body was also able to link the defendant with the allegations of intent fraud brought against him.

He said: “The evidence of the PW1, Olamide Sadiq, who is an operative of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission, was not challenged nor controverted.

“This court found you, Abolarin Kayode, guilty of a one-count charge bordering on internet fraud and hereby convicted and sentenced you to six months imprisonment.”

The judge also ordered the convict to forfeit his phones, laptops and a Lexus car to the Federal Government.

The sentence is without an option of fine.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Ebonyi impounds smuggled trailers of rice



Ebonyi impounds smuggled trailers of rice

Ebonyi State government yesterday said it had confiscated foreign rice loaded in two trailers smuggled into the state.

The administration of Governor Dave Umahi had banned consumption of foreign rice when it came on board and immediately inaugurated a task force to monitor the influx of the commodity in the state.

Yesterday, the task force, known as Neighbourhood Watch, intercepted foreign rice loaded in two trailers smuggled into the state.

The trailers were intercepted by members of Neighbourhood Watch on duty at Afikpo Beach and were taken to the Ministry of Internal Security and Border Peace. Afikpo Beach connects Ebonyi and Cross River as well as Cameroon.

The Commissioner for Internal Security and Border Peace, Stanley Emegha, told journalists that one of the trailers was loaded with rice and empty cartons of beer for easy smuggling of the commodity into the state.

He said: “Some people may not be seeing the security implication of importing rice into the state. The implication is that some people use this avenue to smuggle in arms. If you watch, they go by night and when you search the things in the truck you will discover arms hidden under the bags of foreign rice.

“Hoodlums cannot operate without arms, and they carry more sophisticated weapons compared to what our security men are carrying. Most of these arms are smuggled in through this means.”

Emegha noted that apart from the security threats the importation of foreign rice posed, it also had health implication, as the rice was preserved with chemicals not good for human consumption.

The commissioner explained that Ebonyi State was capable of producing rice that would feed the nation as it was presently ranked third best rice producing state.

He said that four persons were arrested and remanded by the police for rice smuggling.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Gunmen abduct NTA staff in Ogun



Gunmen abduct NTA staff in Ogun

Gunmen have abducted an employee of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Abiodun Adenuga, in Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun State.

Adenuga, who works at the Ijebu-Ode station of NTA, was allegedly abducted at his residence at Aiyepe, Odogbolu.

New Telegraph learnt that the incident occurred about 10p.m. on Tuesday.

It was learnt yesterday that the abductors have demanded N15 million for his release.

A dependable source, who confirmed that the abductors had opened negotiations with the victim’s family members, said the gunmen had refused to reduce the ransom.

The source told our correspondent Adenuga usually “goes to work in Ijebu-Ode, which is a distance of about 30 minutes’ drive from Odogbolu”.

The state Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed that a kidnapping incident actually occurred in the area.

Oyeyemi, however, declared that security operatives were doing everything necessary to ensure that the victim was rescued unhurt and reunited with his family.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Millions of naira property destroyed in Lagos, Ogun fire outbreaks



Millions of naira property destroyed in Lagos, Ogun fire outbreaks

…lawyer loses certificates

Properties and goods worth millions of Naira were destroyed yesterday when fire gutted houses and shops in both Lagos and Ogun states.

At Tejuosho in Lagos, fire razed a storey building, leaving scores of people injured while the building partially collapsed.

The house is situated behind the popular Tejuosho Market at Yaba.

Although the cause of the fire was still unknown, the officials of the emergency agencies said that incident was caused by power surge from one of the rooms before spreading to other parts of the building.

However, no life was lost, two male adults sustained injuries and were taken to the hospital. The intensity of the inferno also led to cracks of the building and partial collapse of the building.

Officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA, Lagos State Fire  Service  and the Federal Fire Services made frantic efforts to put out the inferno.

Speaking with New Telegraph, the LASEMA Director-General, Dr. Femi Oke-Osanyintolu, said that upon arrival at the scene of the incident, it was discovered that a storey building was gutted by fire as a result of power surge from one of the rooms.

He said: ‘The intensity of the fire has caused physical cracks and collapse of the building. However, no loss of life but two male adult sustained injuries.

“Rescue operation ongoing as the LRT alongside Federal Fire Service and Lagos State Fire Service are on ground to curtail the inferno from further escalation to other buildings.”

Oke-Osanyintolu warned residents to be safety conscious as the dry season was gradually setting in.

Meanwhile, some houses and shops were gutted in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.

The incident, which occurred about 1a.m., affected 12 rooms and four adjoining shops within the Alase compound at Oke-Itoku area of Abeokuta.

Though there were no fatalities or injuries, goods, documents and other valuables were consumed by the fire.

An Abeokuta-based lawyer, Nurudeen Olaleye, lost his several academic and professional certificates in the inferno.

He said: “The university certificate which I obtained from the University of Ilorin, the Law School certificate and Call to Bar certificate and other certificates of professional courses I have attended were all in one envelope and they were gutted by fire.”

Incidentally, a station of the Ogun State Fire Service is situated a few metres from the scene of the incident.

Our correspondent, however, learnt that the firefighters at the station could not do anything to salvage the situation as they reportedly claimed they had no vehicle nor water to put out the fire.

Narrating his ordeal, Olaleye said the certificates had been kept in one of the affected rooms where his immediate younger brother was living.

He blamed the unavailability of a fire engine at a government designated fire station close to the scene.

When New Telegraph visited the scene, victims of the midnight fire were lamenting their losses.

A shop owner, who identified herself as Mrs. Morufat Tejuosho, stated that she lost goods worth N3.5 million to the incident.

Tejuosho explained that she received a call in the early hours that her shop was on fire.

She lamented that the fire station close to the scene could not come to the aid of the victims as officers in charge said there was no fire engine.

The trader said the people had to contact another fire station at Onikoko area of Abeokuta but all her goods had been consumed by the time firefighters arrived.

Another victim, Sunday Ebenezer, said his musical equipment, two new generators and packets of DVDs estimated at N2.5 million were razed by the fire.

Ebenezer said nobody could ascertain the cause of the fire.

The victims were unanimous in appealing to the state government to come to their aid and assist them with replacing their losses.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Otabil, Ashimolowo, Bismark, others for 2019 TREM conference



Pastor Mathew Ashimolowo, Bishop Tudor Bismark, Dr. Mensa Otabil, Bishop Wayne Malcolm and other ministers of God are to minister at the 2019 Kingdom Life World Conference (KLWC), organised by the Redeemed Evangelical Mission (TREM).

The eight-day conference, billed to hold between Sunday, November 17 and 24, will hold at TREM International Headquarters, Obanikoro Anthony-Oke, Gbagada Expressway, Lagos.

This year’s conference, which coincided with the 30th anniversary of Kingdom Life World Conference, is tagged: “Love that Passes Knowledge.”

The conference, according to the organisers, will be heralded by an opening ceremony/act, ministration in songs and word.

Some of the major highlights of the convention include the graduation of the God’s Army Bible College on November 22, and a special praise evening service tagged: “Zamar Concert,” which is expected to hold the same day, featuring various gospel artists.

The Kingdom Life World Conference is the annual conference of the ministry that brings together Christians irrespective of their locations across the world.

The conference, which began in 1990, the organisers said, had continued to attract anointed servants of God across the world, and not only members of the church, but men and women of God from various ministries in Nigeria, other African nations, United States, United Kingdom, Switzerland, Philippines and Germany.

“Every year, we have delegates from various parts of the world, who are not members of this ministry, but who come to receive from God and testimonies from them have been very encouraging,” they added.

Since the maiden edition 30 years ago, in 1990, with the theme: “Walking in Dominion,” other themes of the convention over the years are “Let His Glory Fall (1991), Fully Committed (1992), His Holy Habitation (1993), Pure Fire (1994), Power In The Word (1995), Manifestation Of The Sons Of God (1996-1998), The Glory Is Here (1999), Signs Wonders & Miracles(2000), Releasing The Captives (2001), In His Presence (2002), Our God Reigns (2003), It Is Well (2004), Behold His Wonder (2005), El-Shaddai (2006), And God Said (2007 -2008), Unshakable Kingdom (2009 – 2010), Grace Grace (2011-2012), Open Heaven (2013), God and God Alone (2014), Rest 2015 – 2016, and Unsearchable Riches of Christ in 2017-2018.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

General Overseer: Why I started selling unborn babies



General Overseer: Why I started selling unborn babies

General Overseer of Liberation Ministry, Pastor Sunday Chinedu (33), has told operatives of the Inspector-General of Police (IG) Special Intelligence Response Team (IRT) how he became part of the syndicate selling unborn babies in Delta State.

Chinedu was arrested along with Madam Isioma Uko, Mr. Adagbo Samuel aka Baba, a Chief Medical Director and owner of Ndu Hospital and Mortuary located in Delta State. Others are Vera Emenike aka Vivian, Monday Joy, Faith Yusuf Desmond and Friday, a panel beater.

The syndicate was busted after IRT operatives, led by a Deputy Commissioner of Police (DCP), Abba Kyari, received information on the illegal activities going in the hospital and embarked on surveillance that ran into weeks. When the operatives were sure that their information was correct, they stormed the hospital.

A police source said: “The syndicate is using the hospital to engage in human trafficking and operation of illegal orphanage, otherwise known as baby factory. The syndicate gets girls, mostly underage, pregnant while the girls would be lured to the hospital, which has been turned to an illegal orphanage. The syndicate harvests babies when their young mothers are just six months gone. Once the babies are brought out, they are put in incubators and then sold when they are nine months old.”

Chinedu said after he struggled to finish his secondary school, he could not proceed to the university owing to the poor financial status of his family.

He said: “I decided to go into bricklaying, which I did to support myself and my family before I met the late Austine Odinma, who was a pastor at Christ Living Faith Church. He asked me to stay with him, so that I will be close to God. I was with him but he could not teach me the work of God or the art of being a pastor before he died. After his death, his wife sent us out of his house; that was before I got married. I used to ride a motorcycle before I founded my own church.

“Police arrested me because I did business with Samuel, who we call Baba. The business involved buying of babies. I brought a girl from Edo State to Samuel. The girl is a prostitute, who got pregnant and wanted to get rid of it. The pregnancy was six months gone when she came to my church to ask if I knew where abortion could be carried out. I got to know her during my commercial cycling days.

“While she was talking to me and crying, a woman walked into my church. She asked why the girl was crying and I explained. She told me she would give me a man’s number, that the man was a doctor. I collected the man’s number, called him, and he directed me to his place.

“When we got there, he gave her two options; either to abort the foetus or sell the baby after birth. The lady chose the second option. When the lady gave birth, the doctor called and showed me N300,000. He took N50,000, which he said was his share and then gave me N30,000, while the rest of the money was given to the lady.

“Three months later, the lady brought her friend to Baba for the same solution.”

According to Chinedu, another pregnant lady he took to Samuel is called Christabel. After the operation, money exchanged hands. Everyone involved in the transaction collecting money, including him and Christabel.

He said: “The first time Christabel came to meet me for help was on June 17, 2015. On June 28, 2015, Christabel returned with one of her friends. The friend came with a young man, whom she claimed was her husband. We all went to Samuel’s house on getting there he gave us an outpatient card for the lady. She later delivered a baby girl. Samuel repeated the same method of which he took N50,000, gave me N30,000 and handed over the balance to the lady. Another time, my phone rang and it was a lady. She told me that she got my phone number from Christabel. She told me that Christabel had travelled out of Nigeria.  I took her to Samuel’s house and on getting there; the man told us that the pregnancy was not matured enough, that the lady would remain with him before he could deliver her of her baby.

“After a month and two weeks, I called Samuel and asked him how things were going over there, he then told me that the lady had delivered and gone back. I asked him why they didn’t give me my own share of the money, Samuel told me that he had given the lady all the money, so I forgot about it. The total children Samuel bought through me were three.

“I’m a pastor, but my grandfather was a native doctor before he died.  When my grandfather was alive, he used to send me to the bush to get him some herbs which he used for ritual. When I got my own church, I started using those herbs and added candle and anointing oil to solve people’s problems.”

Another alleged member of the syndicate is Joy, said to have sold her baby for N50,000.

Joy said she was arrested because she sold my six months old baby.

She said: “The person that assisted me with the transaction is Dr. Samuel. I was directed to Samuel by Favour (Christabel), but she had since travelled out.

“I was arrested because I sold a baby. I went to a woman called Vivian who lives at Agbor Obi in Delta State. One Favour whose surname was not known to me directed me to Samuel to go and abort or sell my baby. I went to Agbor and one of the nurses checked me and said that my pregnancy was six months. She said she would pay me N50,000. I told her that the money was too small, and she said that was what she could pay. She then gave me injection to induce labour.

“After the injection, the baby came out and it was a baby boy. She paid me the money and I rested before I returned to my house. The place I was delivered of the baby was one room with small mattress. The woman told me that she was running an orphanage in that place.

“I left and never asked if the baby survived or not. I know that it is an offence to sell a child, but I was not doing it deliberately, I did it under a spell. I sold a baby only once. The money made from the business cannot be used for something good. If the police can help me to recover the baby, and he is in good health, I will collect it and take care of my baby as a mother. Now I realised that what I was doing wasn’t good and I have decided to beg for forgiveness from God.”

Joy disclosed that there was a lady, who used to supply Samuel pregnant girls and another supplier of pregnant ladies was Chinedu. She claimed that most of the pregnant ladies that the pastor brought to Samuel were members of his church.

She said: “There is a particular lady who used to come from Ekpoma in Edo State. She usually brings the pregnant girls to the doctor and only when they were at the point of delivery. Most times, the girls would have been delivered of her baby before they got to the doctor. There was a time three people came to collect babies. The pastor brings his church members. According to what I heard, he also does spiritual works. No, it is only once I collected the money. The second baby was mine; I didn’t sell the baby because I had a miscarriage. The first baby I sold was for N50,000.”

Joy, who said that she didn’t live with her parents, explained that she lived with Nkiruka’s family, who became like a sister to her.

She said: “It was Nkiruka’s parents that trained me. I knew them when I was young and I took them as my family. My dad is late, but I heard my mother is in Lagos. My mother and I had issues; I was angry with her because she caused all the problems I’m going through today. She did not treat me well as a child that was the reason I ran to Nkiruka’s house. And throughout my stay with them, they never treated badly.”

Another suspect is Faith Desmond, who said that in April 2019, she travelled to her friend’s house, Charity, living in Asaba, Delta State, where she first met Joy.

She recalled that Joy asked her if she was married and she said no. Joy further asked if she was pregnant, to which she replied yes.

Desmond said: “Joy asked me where my boyfriend lived, I said Benin.  She then collected my phone number and later invited me to the village in Benin. When I got there, I met Samuel, who everyone calls Baba. After the introduction, Baba asked me how many months was my pregnancy.”

Desmond said that after she was arrested by the police, Joy told her not to implicate Samuel.

She said: “Baba told Joy to tell me if any person asked about me, I should tell them that I was Baba’s sister-in-law. I don’t have any relationship with Samuel. I was not even aware that Samuel was into selling of babies or was running a baby factory. I had a baby girl before. My first husband stays in Abuja, but I do not know his house. My daughter is with my sister in Plateau State.  I never knew that Samuel even had a mortuary, but I know that he normally says that he has a clinic. I have never sold any body. It was at the police station that I got to know that Joy has been selling babies before. Joy confessed before us that she has sold babies before to Samuel, that he paid her N50,000 in Benin. It was also when we got to the station that I knew he had an ambulance inside his compound.”

Mrs. Isioma, a nurse, lives at Oweriorubur. She is described as an agent of buyers. She is the one who carries the baby to unknown persons and sells them.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Robbers turn guns on POS operators in Ogun, Lagos



Robbers turn guns on POS operators in Ogun, Lagos

Nigerians, who have embraced Point of Sales (POS) as business and a means of survival, are now living in fear as robbers have turned attention on them.

Operators at Mowe in Obafemi Owode Local Government Area of Ogun State and those in Ayobo area of Lagos State, who have already experienced the venoms of these robbers, are still recounting their ordeal in the hands of the men of the underworld.

At Mowe community in Ogun State, residents were alleged to have got used to their homes and shops being burgled. They also accepted that nothing could be done by security agents in the state about incessant cases of motorcycles snatching, but presently, they are visibly perturbed following the latest attacks on POS operators.

The daredevil robbers, on most nights, will attack the homes of operators and dispossessed the victims of all their money, used in transacting the business. They also collect other valuables.

One of their victims at Mowe, who gave her name simply as Alhaja Bola, explained that she and her husband were sleeping with their children when the robbers scaled the fence of their building and gained entry into the compound. That was about midnight.

She said: “When they came in, none of us knew they were already inside the sitting room. They started shouting, ‘where is the money? Where is the money?’  When I heard the strange voices, I stood up from my bed. The next person I met on the way was one of the robbers, who marched me to my children’s rooms and ordered everyone to get up.

“The robbers were young boys between ages of 18 and 25. They ordered my children and I to lay face-down and threatened to kill whoever dared to look at them. At that point, a lot of things went through my mind. But most importantly, I thought of my children; I didn’t want anything to happen to them. I prayed.

“While this was going on, three among the robbers went into the rooms and assigned two people to guard us. To my shock, the robbers ransacked the whole apartment and brought out every valuable they could find. They also collected about 10 phones from my children and carted away N500,000 I use for my POS transactions.”

Bola added that the robbers, who were armed with locally-made guns, took their time to finish the operation before leaving two hours later.

She said: “They then went to Olajide Close where they also spent additional two hours and robbed a couple of their money and valuables.

“As I speak with you now, I have not overcome the trauma of the robbery attack. Even my children, who are adults, are also afraid to sleep in their rooms. None of us had ever had a gun pointed at him or her, let alone my children.”

Bola’s son, who spoke on condition of anonymity, explained that the robbers came fully prepared for the operations. He said the robbers took their time in ransacking the apartment and carted whatever tickled their fancy. 

He disclosed that after the incident, the matter was reported at Mowe Police Divisional Headquarters for possible arrest of the suspects, but no arrest had been made.

Our correspondent, who went to the community, heard from angry residents that policemen in the axis preferred chasing cyclists and extorting money from them, to embarking on patrol of communities.

Our correspondent also went to Olajide Close, but the victims of the robbers attack were not at home.

On June 20, another set of robbers stormed Mukadamu Street, where a POS operator was also robbed of N1 million in her home.

The victim, who gave her name as Barakat alias ‘Iya Road Safety’, said that fateful day was a day she would never forget for as long as she lived.

She said: “That fateful day, I started transaction on a good note, but about 1a.m. we were sleeping when the strange visitors came and started banging on our gate. They ordered us to open the door and threatened to deal with us if they found their way into our apartment themselves.

“Out of panic, my husband didn’t open the door. They finally scaled the fence to gain access into our compound. When they got into our sitting room, my husband and I had already said our last prayers; because we thought they would do as they had earlier threatened.

“Luckily for us, they didn’t touch us, but they ransacked the rooms for money and valuables. They came out with N1 million. It was the money I had just collected from the cooperative society. I wanted to use the money to boost my business. Immediately I saw the bag containing the money, I urinated on my body. I knew there was no way I could return the money to the cooperative.”

Barakat added that since the incident, police had not been able to arrest the suspects, while she now depended on her children to feed. She said that the robbery wrecked her business.

A police source at Mowe Divisional Headquarters told our correspondent that on a daily basis, they received complaints of POS operators being attacked. The source said that the police were already having a series of meetings with the operators on precautionary methods of doing business in a community like Mowe and its environs.

At House No. 5, Shotayo Adebayo Street, Abesan in Mosan Okunola Local Council Development Area of Lagos State, a similar attack was carried out. One of the victims is Mrs. Nike Akande.

The woman narrated how the robbers collected money in her apartment, which she had earlier took as a loan from cooperative society. She disclosed that the robbery left her devastated.

Akande, a widow, who lost her husband four years ago, decided to go into POS business as a result of her ill health. She revealed that since the death of her husband, things had not been the same for her and her children.

She said: “I was given N1.2 million by my husband’s family members after the demise of my husband, to take care of my children. I decided to go into POS business, so as to have a close look on my younger children, because my first daughter just got admission into the University of Ibadan to study Medicine and Surgery.

“Thank God when I started the business, there was little patronage, but as time progressed, people started coming and the money was yielding profit. I used to close business at 7p.m.. I don’t go beyond that hour.

“On that fateful day, I was about to lock the main gate to our compound when three guys hijacked the gate from me and forced their way into my compound. Before I realised what was happening, they had brought out guns and ordered me into my sitting room. Unfortunately, none of our neighbours knew what was happening.

“When the robbers entered the sitting room, they sat on a couch and asked me to entertain them. Out of panic, I went into the kitchen and got them soft drinks, after which I begged and told them that I was a widow, that they should have mercy on me. I became speechless when they told me how much they came to rob from me.

“When I pleaded with them, I was told to go and bring N1 million. I begged them that the only money I had in the house was N500,000.  They collected the money and asked me to pray for them, which I did and then they left. It was after they had gone that I ran out and started shouting; it was my cries that attracted my tenants. We checked round the whole community if we could get them, unfortunately, we couldn’t trace them. That was how I lost my money.”

The Ogun State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Abimbola Oyeyemi, refused to pick his calls neither did he reply to the text message sent to him to confirm the attacks on POS operators.

The Lagos State Police Public Relations Officer (PPRO), DSP Bala Elkana said, Point of Sales Operators should take security issue serious especially in a business environment.

Elkana, However, Said, such a cases are isolated one, POS Operations should install Close Circuit Camera in their shops where they are doing business, so that if such incident occurred, Police would be able to analyse the video and go after the robbers.’

“There was a time, when a game centre was robbed, it was the CCTV footage that exposed the robbers and they were arrested.”

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

Gunmen abduct NTA staff in Ogun



Gunmen abduct NTA staff in Ogun

Gunmen suspected to be kidnappers have abducted a staff of the Nigerian Television Authority (NTA), Abiodun Adenuga, in Odogbolu Local Government Area of Ogun State.
Adenuga, who works at the Ijebu-Ode station of NTA, was allegedly abducted at his residence in Aiyepe, Odogbolu.
New Telegraph learnt that the incident occurred about 10pm on Tuesday.
Our correspondent learnt that the suspected kidnappers, armed with dangerous weapons, whisked their victim away from the residence.
As at the time of filing this report on Thursday, the abductors were said to have demanded a ransom of N15 million for his release.
A dependable source, who confirmed that the abductors had opened negotiations with the victim’s family members, said they have refused to reduce the ransom.
The source told our correspondent that the NTA staffer usually comes to work in Ijebu-Ode, which is a distance of about 30 minutes drive from Odogbolu.
When contacted, the state Police Public Relations Officer, Abimbola Oyeyemi, confirmed that a kidnapping incident actually occurred in the area.
Oyeyemi, a Deputy Superintendent of Police, however, declared that security operatives were doing all the needful to ensure that the victim was rescued unhurt and reunited with his family.

Continue Reading

Metro and Crime

NDLEA destroys 40 hectares of Indian hemp plantation in Ibadan



NDLEA destroys 40 hectares of Indian hemp plantation in Ibadan

The National Drug Law Enforcement Agency (NDLEA), Oyo State Command, on Thursday destroyed about 40 hectares of Indian hemp plantation in Aba Tade, Oluyole Local Government Area of the state.
While addressing newsmen during the exercise, the state NDLEA Commander, Mr Ralph Igwenagu, said the command had previously destroyed six hectares of plantation in Oke Ogun area of the state.
He noted that the discovery of the plantation was an indication that a good number of farmers in the state were engaging in Indian hemp cultivation.
According to him, five suspects have been arrested in connection with the plantation, adding that investigation was still ongoing.
Determined not only to destroy Indian hemp plantations, the Commander said the agency would reduce its trafficking and abuse to the barest minimum in the state.

Continue Reading














BUA Adverts


%d bloggers like this: