The Federal government yesterday confirmed four new cases of Coronavirus (COVID- 19). This brings the total number of confirmed cases in Nigeria to 44. Based on updates from the twitter handle of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) as at 7:26p.m., one new case was recorded in Lagos State, one in the Federal Capital Territory (Abuja), one in Bauchi State and one in Ogun state. The confirmed case in Bauchi is the state governor, Senator Bala Mohammed while that of Abuja is suspected to be the Chief of Staff to the President, Malam Abba Kyari.
That of Ogun State is a 62-yearold male resident in Sagamu who returned from the United Kingdom on the 17th of March and tested positive after showing coronavirus symptoms. This brings the number of active cases under treatment to 41, as two cases had been discharged and one death recorded in the country. A breakdown from the NCDC in real time showed that Lagos was still leading with a total of 29 cases, followed by the FCT with eight cases, Ogun State has three cases, Ekiti State has one, Oyo State recorded one, Edo State has one, while Bauchi State yesterday joined the COVID-19 scourge with one case. According to the NCDC, out of the four new cases; one was a returning traveller, another was contact of a previously confirmed case, one case had a travelling history to Germany and the fourth was in the United Kingdom.
However, these figures are likely to change as the NCDC continues to run tests with suspected cases while carrying out contact tracing of everyone who might have had contact with a confirmed case. Meanwhile, Ogun State government, yesterday, said it has identified 32 persons who had contact with the fresh case of coronavirus in the state.
The state Commissioner for Health, Dr. Tomi Coker, who disclosed this at a press conference in Abeokuta, said the contacts included four family members of the case and 28 healthcare givers. The NCDC had, earlier yesterday, confirmed two new cases of the novel coronavirus in Lagos and Ogun states, thus increasing the total number of persons infected by the deadly disease in the country.
Coker, who was flanked by the governor’s Special Adviser on Public Communications, Hon. Remmy Hazzan, said the new case in the state is a 62-year-old male resident in Sagamu. According to her, the new case returned from the United Kingdom on the 17th of March and tested positive after showing coronavirus symptoms. She stated that the sexagenarian had been transferred to the state’s isolation centre at the Olabisi Onabanjo University Teaching Hospital (OOUTH), Sagamu.
Coker added that the priority of the state government was to provide care for the case. She said: “Today (Tuesday), we have a newly confirmed case of COVID-19 in Ogun State. The said case is a 62-year-old male who resides in Sagamu and he had history of recent travel, returning from the United Kingdom on the 17th of March.
He presented with history of cough and was tested and the test came back positive. “All his contacts have been traced; 28 healthcare givers and four members of his family. Thirty-two altogether. He’s been very responsible by isolating himself since he arrived, therefore he’s made our job quite easy in tracing his contacts.” Coker urged people of the state to always ensure personal hygiene and abide by the government guidelines on social distancing as well as high-density gathering. “But I must say the most effective way of preventing COVID-19 is still hand washing with soap and water for 40 to 60 seconds. That’s more effective even than the sanitizers. So, people should wash their hands frequently,” she added.