How killers of Maersk Shipping Line MD’s wife were arrested

Fresh information has emerged on how the police in Lagos State arrested two suspects who invaded the Ikoyi residence of the Managing Director of Maersk Shipping Line Company and killed his wife, Gildas Tohouo. According to the police, the suspects on Sunday night, invaded the Lugard, Ikoyi home of the shipping magnate and killed his wife.

The murder was done moments after one of their children just finished her birthday celebration. The invaders killed Gildas and injured her husband. It was gathered that the police, in an operation led by the Lagos State Commissioner of Police, Hakeem Odumosu, arrested the killers less than an hour after the attack.

The alleged killers were later identified as Goke Olamilekan, an electrician in the estate and his friend, Akande Adeyinka. It was further gathered that Olamilekan allegedly invited Adeyinka to assist him carry out the dreadful act. Our reporter gathered that immediately Odumosu received the information about the attack on the foreigners, he immediately dashed to the scene of the crime. The CP was on patrol when he received the distress call. He swiftly moved to the scene, where he mobilised the Divisional Police Officer (DPO) and the Area Commander in the area. One of the two suspects, Akande, was alleged to have climbed a mango tree to evade arrest. He was found on the mango tree by Odumosu and was subsequently arrested.

He was then used as a bait to catch his partner in crime. A police source said: “That Sunday night operation was effective and timely. The CP personally led the operation that eventually witnessed the arrest of the suspects. The two suspects would have escaped from the scene, if the CP and his men had not arrived on time. In fact, we had all given up on finding the killers. It was the CP that vehemently insisted that before we leave, the whole estate should be combed thoroughly. We didn’t want to embark on any search because it was already dark, but he is the CP. It was late and everybody wanted to go home, but the CP insisted that we must get something that would help, in not just the investigation, but also to quickly arrest the perpetrators.

We didn’t agree with him, but we had to obey. We started searching the estate. Lo and behold, we saw someone hid-ing on a mango tree. It was unbelievable. It was incredible. That was how we caught one of the suspects. Those suspects would have escaped if the CP had not gone there himself. One of them was hiding and no one would have thought that anyone would climb a tree to hide.

“At a time, people felt that it was late and that everybody should go but the CP went to his vehicle and brought out a torch. He was beaming the torchlight in different directions, when he pointed it up the tree and there was one of the suspects hiding there.” Preliminary investigations by the police also revealed that the two suspects had planned the operation for three weeks, before eventually carrying it out last Sunday. The police also found out that the two suspects hid their weapons in one of the vacant flats in the estate and strategised on how to carry out the operation.

The electrician had told his partner to lie to the security guards attached to the estate that he was going to see a certain Mr Max, which coincidentally, is the name of one of the residents in the estate. Olamilekan had earlier told the police that the attack was carried out on the couple because he had asked for assistance, which they allegedly refused to render.


Related posts

Leave a Reply