2,277 Nigerians await execution

837 prisoners sentenced to death in one year FG: Port Harcourt Prison turns inmates to animals     There are indications that the number of prison inmates awaiting execution across the country has hit 2,277, according to findings by New Telegraph. It was also gathered that the number of awaiting trial inmates now stood at 48,702, with the total population of inmates rising to 71,443. It will be recalled that as at December 2016, the condemned inmates’ population stood at 1,440. The implication is that, between December 2016 and now,…

Read More

2,194 inmates face execution in 138 prisons

Govs mull signing of death warrants Edo renovates gallows NGF raises committee for establishment of state police     Foluso Ogunmodede, Emmanuel Onani, Baba Negedu, Kunle Olayeni and Muritala Ayinla Barring any hitch, 2,194 inmates on death row in Nigeria’s prisons will soon face execution after years of mental torture. The inmates, who were condemned to death for murder, armed robbery and rape by various courts of competent jurisdictions, will face the hangman’s noose following the Federal Government’s directive that state governors must commence signing death warrants. The anticipated execution…

Read More

Lagos LG poll: PDP chieftain, 2,000 others join APC

A Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftain and former two-term Chairman of Lagos Island Local Government Area, Hon. Lookman Ajose, has defected to the ruling All Progressives Congress (APC) along with over 2,000 members of his former party. Also, the acting Chairman of the All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA) in Lagos State, Chief Sylvester Ezeani has said that mass defection from the party would soon occur as its top members were uncomfortable with the imposition of candidates by party leadership. Rising from a meeting of its executive, Ezeani said that their…

Read More

UEFA League: Barca eye yet another famous comeback

    Little over a month after producing the greatest comeback in Champions League history, Barcelona need another special turnaround as they face Juventus in the second leg of their quarter-final on Wednesday. Luis Enrique’s side were taken apart in the first leg in Turin, losing 3-0 to a Juve team inspired by Paulo Dybala, who scored twice. In the last 16 they became the first team ever to overturn a 4-0 deficit when they beat Paris Saint-Germain 6-1 in the return at the Camp Nou, so fans are hoping…

Read More

Documents show Prince’s painkiller habit

  Numerous opioid painkillers were found at US singer Prince’s home shortly after his death last year, unsealed court documents show. Some of the pills discovered at Prince’s Paisley Park estate in Minnesota had prescriptions in the name of his friend and bodyguard. But the documents do not offer evidence about the source of the fentanyl that killed the singer on 21 April 2016. Medical examiners have concluded that he died from an accidental overdose. No-one has been charged over the death of the 57-year-old singer. The court documents were…

Read More

US court halts two executions

  The top court in Arkansas has halted two executions that were due to start a series of seven in 11 days. The state’s Supreme Court acted hours before convicted murderers Don Davis and Bruce Ward were due to die, but the Davis decision could yet be reversed. Their lawyers had argued they were mentally unfit to face execution and were denied proper assessment. But there was a victory for the state when a federal court lifted an order that blocked all seven executions. A blanket ruling made on Saturday…

Read More

Football fan dies after push from stand

  An Argentine football fan has died of head injuries – two days after being pushed from a stand by an angry crowd who thought he was a rival supporter. Emanuel Balbo, 22, had reportedly quarrelled with a man during Saturday’s derby between his Belgrano team and the visiting Talleres in the northern city of Cordoba. Witnesses said the man had shouted that Balbo was a disguised Talleres fan. He was then pushed over the edge of a stand, video images showed. He fell onto concrete stairs from a height…

Read More

NSA probes N15bn recovery

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Mohammed Monguno (rtd), has begun an investigation into the recovery of about N15 billion by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC). This is as President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the Attorney General of the Federation (AGF) and Minister of Justice, Abubakar Malami (SAN), to submit a report on the recovery. The EFCC had, last week Wednesday, recovered $43.4 million, £27,800 and N23.2 million totalling about N15 billion from a private apartment at the Osborne Towers in Ikoyi, Lagos. New Telegraph was informed…

Read More

Malabu probe: Reps backpedal on Jonathan’s invitation

Barely a week after the House of Representatives’ ad hoc committee investigating allegations of corruption, malpractices, and breach of due process in the award of oil prospecting licence (OPL 245) better known as Malabu oil scandal, said it planned to invite former President Goodluck Jonathan, there are indications that the committee will no longer insist on the appearance of the former leader. New Telegraph reliably gathered that the ad hoc committee, led by Hon. Razaq Atunwa (APC, Kwara) may have considered the implications of the invitation of the former president…

Read More