No fewer than two houses have been razed in a midnight fire that gutted the popular furniture market known as Amu Market in Mushin, Lagos.
Sunday Telegraph learnt that the fire which broke out around 12:20am on Saturday was fuelled by the large presence of plywood and asbestos products at the scene.
The incident led to serious confusion as residents ran helter-skelter and scampering for safety.
While some residents were making frantic calls to the emergency responders, others were making efforts to salvage their properties.
The inferno, it was learnt, was aggravated by the furniture and other inflammable materials in the market.
It was a night of confusion as rescue agencies and other emergency responders such as the state and Federal Fire Service, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) Response Unit and other law enforcement agencies had hectic time trying to put out the fire.
Speaking on the incident, the Director-General of LASEMA, Dr Femi Oke-Osanyintolu said: “Immediately on getting the news of the fire, both the Lagos and Federal Fire Services along with LASEMA units were quickly on the scene. However the intensity of the fire was intense due to wooden and polyvinyl materials present.
“Luckily there was no loss of life. However, two houses were burnt while the main market of about 2200 sqm with materials worth billions of naira was also consumed in the fire disaster.”